Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about dismissal from work (part time, 6 months with employer)

Options
  • 27-05-2017 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi all, thanks for looking.

I was given two weeks notice by my boss today, at a job I've been working 3 days a week for the past 6 months. He told me that it's not to do with the quality of my work or any problems with me. Basically what happened is a senior stylist quit a few weeks ago, and he hired a junior (now there are two of them to do the work of a senior, basically) and it seems now I'm not needed. (I'm almost finished my training.) I did not see this coming, didn't receive written or verbal warning of anything at all. I'm shocked, really - and can't afford to just be let go like that.

Does anyone know what I am entitled to? i know I don't get redundancy pay because I wasn't working there two years. I assume I will get my holiday pay since I didn't take any yet. It does not seem right that I can just be let go without warning like this. My husband is unemployed/returning to college on BTA and this was my only job. We were barely making ends meet as is.

Any help would be appreciated. I've never lost a job before.

Also if anyone needs cheap cigarette filters I have about 200 business cards you can tear up 😂😂

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Your entitled to whatever wages and holiday pay you are due, that's all I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Would you maybe ask the owner/manager if they know of any other jobs going at other salons? Like they said it wasn't the quality of your work.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

Commiserations on your dismissal. As you have less than one year's service, you are only protected by the Unfair Dismissals Act in limited circumstances, such as if you suspect you were dismissed due to pregnancy or trade union activity. There are also nine grounds on which dismissal is prohibited on equality grounds; if you think there is a reasonable case that your dismissal could be linked to one of these grounds, you could take legal action against the employer.

You could also take a case for wrongful dismissal (not to be confused with unfair dismissal) through the courts. This would be on the basis that the employer did not follow their own procedures, for example. You would need to talk to an employment lawyer to see what kind of a case you might have.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ExParrot42

Creol1 wrote: »
    Commiserations on your dismissal. As you have less than one year's service, you are only protected by the Unfair Dismissals Act in limited circumstances, such as if you suspect you were dismissed due to pregnancy or trade union activity. There are also nine grounds on which dismissal is prohibited on equality grounds; if you think there is a reasonable case that your dismissal could be linked to one of these grounds, you could take legal action against the employer.

You could also take a case for wrongful dismissal (not to be confused with unfair dismissal) through the courts. This would be on the basis that the employer did not follow their own procedures, for example. You would need to talk to an employment lawyer to see what kind of a case you might have.

None of those are the case, I'm afraid. It appears that I'm simply been made redundant, except of course I don't qualify for redundancy.

I got lucky, and had an interview two days ago. So, follow up question - is my asking for Saturday off to attend a work trial day reasonable? I'm afraid I may miss out on the chance of a job I need/want but my current boss said "maybe if it's not busy." I've half a mind to just not show up if he tries to make me work! What will he do, fire me? Haha. I read that employees being made redundant are entitled to time off to look for work during the notice period, what about dismissals like mine?

ExParrot42 wrote: »
    None of those are the case, I'm afraid. It appears that I'm simply been made redundant, except of course I don't qualify for redundancy.

I got lucky, and had an interview two days ago. So, follow up question - is my asking for Saturday off to attend a work trial day reasonable? I'm afraid I may miss out on the chance of a job I need/want but my current boss said "maybe if it's not busy." I've half a mind to just not show up if he tries to make me work! What will he do, fire me? Haha. I read that employees being made redundant are entitled to time off to look for work during the notice period, what about dismissals like mine?

I suppose you could always take a sick day...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Take care of your own interests

Your boss has taken care of his and is now still expecting you to have his back !

You get yourself sorted first and don't worry about what happens in your old job. What are they going to do ? If the want to go down the disciplinary route they have to suspend you on full pay while they do so

Bandara wrote: »
    You get yourself sorted first and don't worry about what happens in your old job. What are they going to do ? If the want to go down the disciplinary route they have to suspend you on full pay while they do so

There's no general requirement for employees to be suspended on pay in disciplinary circumstances. It's what tends to happen in the public service when an employee is being investigated for serious misconduct, but in general an employee can be disciplined without suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You're not being made redundant when you've only been there for six months.

It is reasonable to ask for the time off., and tbh what can your employer do about taking the time off. You won't be there in a couple of weeks .

Advertisement