Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

>600cc as a first bike, plus opinions needed - NEWB

• 27-05-2017 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gonko

Hi all

I have just applied for my Cat A permit and will have it out in the next week or so. Anyway, I have never ridden a bike before, but my new commute forces an alternative to the car and public transport is not an option. I have been driving a car for the past 13 years (my age: 31) and have always loved sports machines, be they cars or bikes and like to have nice power. My current car is a Lexus GS450h (350bhp and currently for sale - cheap plug lol) and my summer toy is a Honda Integra (>200bhp). I tell you guys this so you know what sort of person I am and what I would look for in a bike and I do believe bikes are very personal to the rider in many respects the way cars are to enthusiast. So perhaps you guys can recommend something based on this. Also bear in mind first time insurance where certain bikes just wont be touched.

I LOVE the 1000cc super-bikes, however, I know this is not an option as a starter bike!! I am aware I have no experience and would love to get into motorcycling with a sports style machine. I have been looking at the Kawasaki ER6-F/Ninja in the 650cc variant. From what I understand it is not overly powerful compared to some of the 600cc super sport machines, but does look like a sport machine. So I am guessing this bike is an option as a starter?
    Just to be clear, I am going to be taking it very very slow on the bike until I get used to it. As a car driver, I see the dangers that face motorcyclists each day from stupid irresponsible car drivers. I also will not be one of these Valentino Rossi wannabes.

I am also kind of nervous about dropping a bike coming to a stop. I am 5ft6/5ft7 inches with about a 29ish inseam. I am worried that I will have a hard time controlling the bike on the seat when at a full stop. I am not sure if I am worrying needlessly here. Remember I have never driven a bike before and am worried about dropping one.

Also, what should I look for when buying one. I'm experienced with cars, not with bikes. I would not have a clue how to tell a good one from a bad one.

PS - The only reason I am going straight to Cat A is because I am unrestricted based on past theory test and age, and I will be doing some motorway miles, so would like a bike that is comfortable cruising at motorway speeds (I am talking engine RPMs here etc)..

Thanks in advance guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

How long is your commute, distance and what type please ?. Motorway, national road, city etc ?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

For moterway riding id recommend a bike that has at least half fareing. I see nothing wrong with going 600cc first bike as long as your responsible. It only goes as fast as you make it.

For your height and commute allrounder im thinking Bandit6. A very reliable bike thats comfy for longer rides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

The er6f is also a good choice if u prefer the look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

Agree, I was suggesting Yamaha Fazer 600. Such bikes not too heavy, easy control, sufficient speed, comfort rider position. And can trade in 12 months when accustomed to it and more experienced etc. You won't loose money on the bike much. Essentially walk before run and these two suggestions will surprise you with their poke!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gonko

Sasso wrote: »
    How long is your commute, distance and what type please ?. Motorway, national road, city etc ?.
    Currently by car its around 1hr 15 mins. I am coming from North Circular Road in Dublin out to Leopordstown. It is 10% R roads, 20% N roads and 70% Motorway. Distance wise it is 27KM each way.
    topcatcbr wrote: »
    For moterway riding id recommend a bike that has at least half fareing. I see nothing wrong with going 600cc first bike as long as your responsible. It only goes as fast as you make it.

For your height and commute allrounder im thinking Bandit6. A very reliable bike thats comfy for longer rides.

I do like the bandit GSF S (I think this is a version of the bandit or a later one). I don't mind sacrificing a bit of comfort if the bike looks pretty. :o . So going all out sports bike would be an option, provided it would be somewhat sensible to do so. I have added the bandit to my list. Thank you for that. I am not even aware of some of the models out there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gonko

Sasso wrote: »
    Agree, I was suggesting Yamaha Fazer 600. Such bikes not too heavy, easy control, sufficient speed, comfort rider position. And can trade in 12 months when accustomed to it and more experienced etc. You won't loose money on the bike much. Essentially walk before run and these two suggestions will surprise you with their poke!

Added to the list. Again, never knew it existed. Thanks so much to all so far. Huge help.

Also does the year of a bike matter too much? Some good bargains out there pre 2000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

All out sport's bikes aren't much fun commuting across town , which is exactly what you will be doing.

Pick something you will be comfortable on but not bored.

This bike appears to be solely commuter focused from what you've said about your decision to buy

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Check out the SV650, plenty of them around from the early noughties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Don't go near buying a bike until you do your IBT and have a feel for what you're like on bikes. Do it on a school bike, and try to blag your way into trying as much as possible in terms of different kinds of bikes

I drive a fast car like yourself (290bhp lols fight me), but I'm like a granny on the bike, it's a whole other beast no matter how experienced you are. Plenty of lads like the idea of a certain kind of bike and find it doesn't suit them. By all means if it then suits you go for a sports bike - they can be less forgiving but you know yourself the best.

I've owned an er-6f. I found it good craic, I've ridden bigger bikes that seemed to have less in terms of poke (like the f800gt for example).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,127 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You don't use strength to control a bike at low speed, you use skill. Height may affect bike choice so get your IBT done and see how the school bikes fit.

I got an XSR700 as a first bike last year and it's been great. Crap noise until I replaced the exhaust and a little thin on power at high speed but only in the sense that it won't pull power wheelies, still accelerates as fast as I need it to.

Wouldn't want anything slower.

On that commute a faster bike will be wasted. That section of M50 is limited to 100kph I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭ratracer

I would recommend a Honda CBR600 F (not the RR). It is a brilliant all round bike for commuting, touring, even a bit of track daying if you like!! Very comfy riding position and superb reliability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

gonko wrote: »
    Currently by car its around 1hr 15 mins. I am coming from North Circular Road in Dublin out to Leopordstown. It is 10% R roads, 20% N roads and 70% Motorway. Distance wise it is 27KM each way.

You won't be using the motorway on the bike. Going through town will be more fun with options if there's a road blocked.

Best thing is to go into a few bike shops and sit on bikes you like the look of, ask permission. There's lowering options for all bikes and a lot are OEM.

gonko wrote: »
    Hi all

I have just applied for my Cat A permit and will have it out in the next week or so. Anyway, I have never ridden a bike before, but my new commute forces an alternative to the car and public transport is not an option. I have been driving a car for the past 13 years (my age: 31) and have always loved sports machines, be they cars or bikes and like to have nice power. My current car is a Lexus GS450h (350bhp and currently for sale - cheap plug lol) and my summer toy is a Honda Integra (>200bhp). I tell you guys this so you know what sort of person I am and what I would look for in a bike and I do believe bikes are very personal to the rider in many respects the way cars are to enthusiast. So perhaps you guys can recommend something based on this. Also bear in mind first time insurance where certain bikes just wont be touched.

I LOVE the 1000cc super-bikes, however, I know this is not an option as a starter bike!! I am aware I have no experience and would love to get into motorcycling with a sports style machine. I have been looking at the Kawasaki ER6-F/Ninja in the 650cc variant. From what I understand it is not overly powerful compared to some of the 600cc super sport machines, but does look like a sport machine. So I am guessing this bike is an option as a starter?
    Just to be clear, I am going to be taking it very very slow on the bike until I get used to it. As a car driver, I see the dangers that face motorcyclists each day from stupid irresponsible car drivers. I also will not be one of these Valentino Rossi wannabes.

I am also kind of nervous about dropping a bike coming to a stop. I am 5ft6/5ft7 inches with about a 29ish inseam. I am worried that I will have a hard time controlling the bike on the seat when at a full stop. I am not sure if I am worrying needlessly here. Remember I have never driven a bike before and am worried about dropping one.

Also, what should I look for when buying one. I'm experienced with cars, not with bikes. I would not have a clue how to tell a good one from a bad one.

PS - The only reason I am going straight to Cat A is because I am unrestricted based on past theory test and age, and I will be doing some motorway miles, so would like a bike that is comfortable cruising at motorway speeds (I am talking engine RPMs here etc)..

Thanks in advance guys.

That Kawasaki you are looking at would be fine to start with, it's not really very powerful at all and wouldn't be in the same league speed wise as a 600 sportsbike, so it's not a crazy decision to be looking at one.

Tbh the experience in high powered cars is irrelevant, different beasts.

You can lower the suspension if needs be

Just FYI on the motorway cruising, I have a 600 gsxr and it's an absolutely horrendous experience cruising on the m 50 at 120kmh, getting blown all over the place with the wind. If I was doing motorway driving I'd be buying one of those big touring bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

Just about pre 2000 bikes, a very reliable one isnt as easy to find which is what you'd want for commuting. They nearly all had carbs so there's gummed up carbs to deal with. Some can be very finicky to get started on a winter morning. You being into cars and 31 means you may have never had to deal with a car that wasn't fuel injected.

Just be careful with buying a 600cc bike that is that old. Sports bikes and big cruisers can be way up in the years but have low mileage because they are someone's weekend or summer toy but 600s and 650s would be a lot more likely to have been someone's workhorse.

CaptainR wrote: »
    Just about pre 2000 bikes, a very reliable one isnt as easy to find which is what you'd want for commuting. They nearly all had carbs so there's gummed up carbs to deal with. Some can be very finicky to get started on a winter morning. You being into cars and 31 means you may have never had to deal with a car that wasn't fuel injected.

Just be careful with buying a 600cc bike that is that old. Sports bikes and big cruisers can be way up in the years but have low mileage because they are someone's weekend or summer toy but 600s and 650s would be a lot more likely to have been someone's workhorse.

Tbh I would argue that if something goes wrong with the fueling on a carb bike it is very easy to takes the carbs apart and clean them and balance them , it's just basic stuff anyone can do at home if they are prepared to watch a few YouTube videos and give it a shot.

If a bike is fuel injected you can do **** all and need to bring it to a shop to hook it up to diagnostic equipment if a problem arises.

In saying that Pre 2000 bike is nearly 20 years old, I wouldn't advise anyone to buy one tbh. Components have improved, how many people would be going out and buying a +20 year old car in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 scarebus03

The ER-6f is a good starter bike, forgiving and fun when you want it to be. I have a 06 model and have soft panniers for laptop etc. For the motorway it's fine, loads of power but a bit viby between the 4k and 5k rev mark. For the motorway I fitted a MRA deflector screen and can sit up comfortably at 70mph+, the difference with the added wind protection is unreal. It's my first bike and I use it through town most days commuting to work. Like you was never on a bike until I did the IBT last September and passed the test in March. Like others have said wait until you do the IBT on the school bike to get a feel for what may suit. I didn't like the school bike I trained on so had an idea of what wouldn't work for me when I went looking. I bought my bike the week after I passed the IBT. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Great advice from scarebus, do the IBT and you'll know better yourself. A lot of riders go on to buy the same bike they learned on, obviously some don't too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Adambutterly

I'm in the exact same situation. just got my provisional A licence so looking for a 600cc to commute into town and short motorway use but haven't had a feel for the power of 600's yet. gonna do the final module on IBT and see how there bike feels. keep us updated on what you got and how it suited you!

I'm in the exact same situation. just got my provisional A licence so looking for a 600cc to commute into town and short motorway use but haven't had a feel for the power of 600's yet. gonna do the final module on IBT and see how there bike feels. keep us updated on what you got and how it suited you!

Lads it's all relative, it's not all about the cc.

I.e a bandit 600 is an inline 4 engine same as a 600 supersports i.e R6, gsxr etc, difference being it has about 78 bhp and a supersports has probably 108-120 because it's been tuned differently . Just because they are all 600 cc doesn't mean they really have anything in common power wise.

A Suzuki sv 650 would seem more powerful because it has 650cc rather than 600 but it's a different type of engine , a v twin and it will produce less power than the bandit, 64-73 bhp

Just note this regards the power of different 600's and the insurance categories they have which can vary wildly. On a provisional especially note just because an insurance company will quote on one 600 does not mean they will quote on another at all

I've just taken those figures rough from wiki

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Trigger76

Lads it's all relative, it's not all about the cc.

Just note this regards the power of different 600's and the insurance categories they have which can vary wildly. On a provisional especially note just because an insurance company will quote on one 600 does not mean they will quote on another at all

I've just taken those figures rough from wiki

Im about to book my IBT soon, haven't been on bikes in years .... given Im 40 I'm gonna shoot for an A licence, I'm in no particular hurry, from all the reading Ive done here on the various threads I'm thinking my sensible options are

Bandit 600
    Honda CBF600
    Yamaha Fazer 600
    Suzuki SV650

Are all these in or around the same ball park insurance wise, none being a sport bike?(I'm thinking on my learner permit if I get in under €600 thats not too bad?) Also Im assuming I can test on category A on all the above?

Cheers,
    T

• Advertisement

Trigger76 wrote: »
    Im about to book my IBT soon, haven't been on bikes in years .... given Im 40 I'm gonna shoot for an A licence, I'm in no particular hurry, from all the reading Ive done here on the various threads I'm thinking my sensible options are

Bandit 600
    Honda CBF600
    Yamaha Fazer 600
    Suzuki SV650

Are all these in or around the same ball park insurance wise, none being a sport bike?(I'm thinking on my learner permit if I get in under €600 thats not too bad?) Also Im assuming I can test on category A on all the above?

Cheers,
    T

All of them will be the same ball park insurance, you will probably be looking around 600 euro insurance on a provision and maybe 450 when you have a full licence. Cheapest insurer on the market at the moment is principal insurance.

I know for sure the bandit can be used for the A full test, the rest I don't know for sure but your IBT instructor will , I imagine they can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Trigger76 wrote: »

Bandit 600
    Honda CBF600
    Yamaha Fazer 600
    Suzuki SV650

Cheers,
    T

35 and on my first provisional insurance on an Sv650s was 230 tpft last year with principle, I got a big shock at how cheap it was. With the sv I'm delighted with my choice, the engine breaking is really great on her and just gives me a lot of confidence as a learner! If you can definitely try one for a test run,

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Just a note the SV650 wont do for the A licence it needs to be the SV650s

Thanks lads appreciate the replies. The forum is great, very friendly have to say, things seem to have changed a lot around bikes in the last 15 years or so.
    Blanchy90 wrote: »
    Just a note the SV650 wont do for the A licence it needs to be the SV650s

Cheers Blanchy for the info looks like your spot on there, if I do end up with one, whilst not a huge deal I guess, my preference would be to test on a bike I have 8-10 months under me.

Thanks again appreciate all the info and experience people have shared on all the newb threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mcginty28

Yamaha mt07 . very light and easy bike for a novice to ride. not much in the way of fairings but you won't find it too much of in issue on that commute. I started on a bandit 6 another good bike for a learner but the mt 07 looks and handles better with plenty of power when needed for motorway driving etc.

mcginty28 wrote: »
    Yamaha mt07 . very light and easy bike for a novice to ride. not much in the way of fairings but you won't find it too much of in issue on that commute. I started on a bandit 6 another good bike for a learner but the mt 07 looks and handles better with plenty of power when needed for motorway driving etc.

Thanks mcginty, had a look, they look like a nice machine alright, not many second hand ones around from what I can see and Id definitely be looking at around 5k by the looks of it might be a bit of a stretch for me starting off.

yeah I was looking for second hand but ended up buying new for 8k. well worth the money!

mcginty28 wrote: »
    yeah I was looking for second hand but ended up buying new for 8k. well worth the money!

Had a look on Bikeworld there, just over the 8k. I'll see how I go over the IBT and how comfortable or otherwise I am with a 600 sized bike in general, conventional wisdom here is, "everyone drops their first bike" .... looks like a lovely machine though. Safe to assume insurance is in around what it would be for a bandit ... power output looks comparable?

yeah mate insurance similar to bandit, nothing wrong with the bandit either just bit heavier, you'll pick decent one up for around 2 - 3k. best of luck

• Advertisement

by the way try other shops not just bike world, I found mega bikes bit cheaper and Cotters too especially for gear.

Advertisement