Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of hedge is this

Options
  • 27-05-2017 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi.

Can anyone help identify this for me. It's in my dad's garden, but he doesn't know what it is. It has these flowers at the moment, but in the winter it has a orange berry. Would it be suitable for hedge. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Pic? (Might be a pyracantha :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 37 GLENNFALLON

Hi this is it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes that looks like a pyracantha aka firethorn. Yes they make a good hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Hi.

Can anyone help identify this for me. It's in my dad's garden, but he doesn't know what it is. It has these flowers at the moment, but in the winter it has a orange berry. Would it be suitable for hedge. Thanks
    Just be aware the Romans rejected Pyracantha for the "Crown of Thorns" because they considered it would be too cruel! :Dhttp://pop.h-cdn.co/assets/17/03/980x656/firethorn_pyracantha_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yea, we had one at our last house and I hated the damn thing, razor sharp barbs were the sharpest I'd seen on any plant, often planted as a security fence.

One thing though, they're slow growing, it would take quite a while to make a hedge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement