Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not quite a gear and equipment question but ...

Options
  • 27-05-2017 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

I've seen with increasing dismay the whole Kayne West effect on some not particularly ergonomic looking runners, e.g.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/fashion/i-own-about-300-pairs-meet-the-irish-sneakerheads-1.3088026

Any running gear I buy is to wear - and I wouldn't have a budget to buy in duplicate on account of something being potentially collectible - but I was wondering if any actual athletes/runners ever buy for resale value?

I wouldn't imagine so but, given that people probably buy 2-3 pairs per annum, most would be on various mailing lists - both for retailers and sportswear companies, and so presumably there'd be the temptation to buy a pair of something from a marketing fad, i.e. as a means of funding purchases of proper gear?

It all seems a bit like the Cabbage Patch Dolls sort of marketing/hype, of what constitutes something 'collectible', but I've often thought about what are similar to Manolo Blahnik, Jimmy Choos etc in terms of people buying a pair to wear and a pair to resell to fund the original purchase of the two pairs: eventually, like any pyramid scheme, it runs out of suckers willing to buy the 'limited'/'exclusive' items to fund the purchase of more 'limited'/'exclusive' items, as there's ultimately a use value, an entry/exit threshold etc for any 'market'.

Still though, I'd be curious if any A/R Forum members, on the Adidas mailing lists, would ever consider Yeezy-for-resale to fund actual sportswear.

Advertisement