Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have grounds for compensation ?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

Thanks all for the advice .

Now see this . I asked a shorter question in the Virgin Mobile thread. I wanted to know if this unmet Direct Debit fee [ twice ten Euro added to my Virgin Mobile bill] was a bank charge against Virgin Mobile being passed on to me and I got an affirmative. What say you all ? Is this clear or do any of you dispute it ?

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057746028
    Originally posted by Virgin Media: Cath
    Hi masculinist,

The unpaid Direct Debit charge is a bank charge passed on by the bank.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

If you have been charged an unpaid DD charge from either Virgin Media (or any company) due to a mistake by the bank staff, I would fully expect the bank to refund you the unpaid DD charges. Whether they were bank charges, or charges from another company.

Go and talk to your branch manager and find out what happened with the cheque. :)

Best of luck OP.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

My name , address and IBAN , BIC etc .

Who told the insurance company to send a cheque directly to your bank account? This is very unusual.

Second does your bank actually offer a service where by they accept cheques from third parties, present them for payment and then deposit it a customers account?

I doubt the bank offers any such service and as such have no obligation towards you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Forget everything else, is it not up to you to have funds available in your account for the DD?

Is it really worth the hassle over €20? (Genuine question)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Is there a chance that the bank has a charge for unpaid dd's and VM have a similar charge on their end? So you end up with 2 charges for one failed transaction

I had an issue at the start of the year with eir when they attempted to take a payment before the due date. Ended up with both eir and my bank charging me. Eir credited me the cost of the bank charge once they accepted they were in the wrong.

• Advertisement

davo2001 wrote: »
    Forget everything else, is it not up to you to have funds available in your account for the DD?

Ok. I see you like to distribute blame and hold people ( but apparently not banks) accountable and responsible for their actions.
    If the cheque had been lodged correctly by the bank there would have been enough funds in my account to pay the phone bill for years. Accountability.

davo2001 wrote: »

Is it really worth the hassle over €20? (Genuine question)

You're right. You can save us all a lot of time and hassle if you directly send me this trifling and inconsequential 20 euro. Let me know when to pm you my PayPal account link.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Who told the insurance company to send a cheque directly to your bank account? This is very unusual..

I had actually asked the Insurance company to do a bank transfer so it was highly annoying to discover a cheque had not only been sent but had also bounced.
    why would an insurance company send a cheque if its apparently ''unusual'' ?
    I have now obtained a copy of the correspondance direct from the Insurance company along with the cheque which I lodged today. On this correspondance my IBAN and sort code are extremely clear.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If the cheque had been lodged correctly by the bank there would have been enough funds in my account to pay the phone bill for years.

But you didn't lodge the cheque properly, it was randomly posted to a branch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭28064212

why would an insurance company send a cheque if its apparently ''unusual'' ?
    It's "unusual" for a cheque to be posted directly to a bank. Usually, the cheque would be posted directly to you, and you would lodge it to the bank.

Did the bank instruct you to have the cheque posted to them? Do they say anywhere in the account T&Cs that posting is an acceptable method for depositing a cheque?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Ok. I see you like to distribute blame and hold people ( but apparently not banks) accountable and responsible for their actions.
    If the cheque had been lodged correctly by the bank there would have been enough funds in my account to pay the phone bill for years. Accountability.

But YOU are responsible for ensuring that funds are available in your account to meet the charges. Had you checked, you would have realised that there were insufficient funds to meet the charges, so when you talk of accountability, it falls at your feet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

It is not unusual for a cheque to be posted to a bank. Especially where the value of the cheque is 'significant'.

Only recently we had a situation where bank(s) have had technical difficulties lodging wages into accounts. The bank(s) reimbursed any unpaid DD charges applied by third parties, as well as waived their own charges obviously. My understanding is that you had to ask for them to reimburse you for third party charges. Their own charges were waived automatically.

I do not see how this is any different to be fair. If the bank made the mistake, they should refund you your unpaid DD charges.

Whether it's 1 EUR or 1,000, I believe the same logic should apply.

Also, it is "only" 20 EUR but for a lot of people, that's a huge amount of money.

OP, did you contact your branch manager?

It is not unusual for a cheque to be posted to a bank. Especially where the value of the cheque is 'significant'.

Only recently we had a situation where bank(s) have had technical difficulties lodging wages into accounts. The bank(s) reimbursed any unpaid DD charges applied by third parties, as well as waived their own charges obviously. My understanding is that you had to ask for them to reimburse you for third party charges. Their own charges were waived automatically.

I do not see how this is any different to be fair. If the bank made the mistake, they should refund you your unpaid DD charges.

Whether it's 1 EUR or 1,000, I believe the same logic should apply.

Also, it is "only" 20 EUR but for a lot of people, that's a huge amount of money.

OP, did you contact your branch manager?

Yesterday ,I went to a ptsb which had parking because otherwise I wouldnt have made it. The one I have my account at doesnt have parking. I'll wait and see . I approached the manager, explaining that it was with a view to having a conversation but with no demands about an unpaid DD charge ( I have a memory of seeing some headcase giving out to the poor staff in a local shop about something not their fault or within their control so I always approach these sorts of things softly). The manager there said I have a good case. He didnt dismiss it . And he said he would try to sort something out and get back to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Is the owner of the cheque not supposed to sign the back of the cheque or is that not done anymore? Also I queued to lodge a cheque in PTSB and was made go and lodge it in the machine I should have posted it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The bank has a standard unpaid fee if it bounces a DD on a customer.
    In this case they should just refund the two charges.
    If the account details were supplied with the cheque then it's bad form for them to send the cheque back to the insurance company.

Graham wrote: »
    But you didn't lodge the cheque properly, it was randomly posted to a branch.

Not 'randomly'

A company regulated by EU/UK financial services obviously saw no problem with doing this. After I receive some satisfaction from the PTSB, I should probably investigate with some sort of UK regulator as to why a cheque was posted instead of a bank transfer.

The bank has a standard unpaid fee if it bounces a DD on a customer.
    In this case they should just refund the two charges.
    If the account details were supplied with the cheque then it's bad form for them to send the cheque back to the insurance company.

Definitely . Theres too many 'rules lawyers' on here who instinctively oppose the consumer as a knee jerk reaction. I would never quote scripture and rules to a customer of any of my businesses in such a manner. Instead I would take responsibility for the practices of my businesses not behaving in accordance with common sense. No wonder the whole country has been shafted by the banks in almost every decade I can remember.
    Now thats all I have to say on the subject of banks in general. I'm not here to make any sort of rant about this . I'm taking care of my own business. The bank staff have been great - polite , well informed and pleasant to speak with. I'm not interested in getting anyone working there into trouble. Its a trifling sum however the bounce on my account did create considerable annoyance and confusion. I have had that account since the 90s and am planning to move most of my business from AIB to PTSB , one or two debits and lodgements at a time (since bureaucracy keeps holding me up and I never seem to have a document or such handy when I'm near a branch. Such bureaucracy was implemented by the corrupt for appearances sake after they got caught and hurts the honest people like myself so I keep my blood pressure low by adopting a libertarian attitude) - which explains why I had relied upon the cheque being lodged and clearing at the expected date.

Got my full 20 Euro back from ptsb.

/thread

Advertisement