Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What machine for annual tall meadow cut?

Options
  • 28-05-2017 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was looking at what would be recommended for cutting grass once a year in autumn. It is about 2 acres of non grazed meadow grass. I am aiming to mulch/rot in the cuttings and improve topsoil fertility.

I was thinking maybe hiring some decent cutting power - would I be better with a tractor/PTO based cutter or would a ride on lawnmower handle tall grass ujpto 60cm?

Thanks in advance for guidance.

Comments

Hi all,

I was looking at what would be recommended for cutting grass once a year in autumn. It is about 2 acres of non grazed meadow grass. I am aiming to mulch/rot in the cuttings and improve topsoil fertility.

I was thinking maybe hiring some decent cutting power - would I be better with a tractor/PTO based cutter or would a ride on lawnmower handle tall grass ujpto 60cm?

Thanks in advance for guidance.

A ride on won't handle it. A powerful comercial one might cut it if you let the grass fly out the back and take half the width of the mower at a time.

I have a customer who let's a half acre grow and gets a farmer with a tractor and topped once a year. The soil is poor so the grass is not that thick. The grass is cut up really fine and rots in quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think for that size you need a tractor with a topper.
    It will do the job easily.

Local farmer should be able to oblige.

Come Agri contractors have mulchers for the tractors, it would be a great job to speed up rotting down so much material. Might be worth a call round to see if there is one local to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Two acres ...that's a proper field.
    A farmer with the right kind of machinery would be my preferred option in that case.

However...if you're looking for a machine that would be able to handle this kind of job and smaller, similar ones more than just once a year, then this is it:

got one myself, use it to cut 3/4 acre dog run /meadow every so often. Also have one section of meadow that I only cut once a year. Not two acres mind you, just 1/4 ...but it deals with that in less than 1/2 hour.

The Irish dealership is this;
    http://southernmachinery.ie/as-motor/
    Don't know if the loan them out as well.

As-motor also make ride-ons for meadow cutting

Advertisement