Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking about moving from Industry to Practice - advice needed please!

• 28-05-2017 6:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi there, I've seen a few posts about people looking for advice moving from industry to practice but not really the other way round.

I have around 4 years PQE as a month end management accountant - on top of a 3.5year Chartered Accountant training role - this was also with a large industry Company in Dublin, rather than practice - which would be the normal CA route.

I am now thinking of making the move home to a town in Kerry, but there are not many industry roles at all in Kerry.

I quite like the idea of working for a smaller practice in my home town giving business and tax advice to local owners or businesses.

I have the qualifications but not the experience for this.
    Is it even possible for me to make this move?
    I've passed the Chartered Accountancy exams in 2013 to cover everything that a practice firm would offer.

I realise I'll probably have to take a pay cut (I'm currently living and working in Australia) and I MAY be looking at the job with rose tinted glasses - but I don't think so - I reckon I'd enjoy getting to communicate with local businesses and people and as long as I got to vary the work across different disciplines I think I would relish not being tied down to the time constraints of a month end role.

Have people made this move before?
    I suppose it's all about finding a practice willing to take you on?

Many thanks in advance for any advice :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 whatif...

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Kerry Group are always advertising financial accountant roles.
    I'd explore that avenue first.

Small practice would be local economics / local advice / local relationships /Farm grant expertise / property expertise that you wouldn't have exposure too. Local practice would really want someone with that expertise.

If I were you I would go with Kerry Group and get involved in local clubs societies etc and go from there

Advertisement