Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary school recommendations (West / Barna)

Options
  • 28-05-2017 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello,
    We are looking for some advice please! We currently live abroad but will be returning home in the not so distant future. We have decided to base ourselves on the west side of Galway City, even as far out as Barna. We won’t need to cross the city for work so traffic shouldn’t be an issue.

I understand the west side of the city has very good secondary schools. Our children are 7 (girl) and 4 (boy) so we are in the process of looking at primary schools for them. It would be great to get some local knowledge please. Are there any schools you would highly recommend in the area? Are there feeder schools for secondary level we should be aware of? We are also open to the Gaelscoil option. Would really appreciate any thoughts or insights.   Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Hi,
    My daughter (8 years old) goes to Scoil Bhride Shantalla and absolutely loves it. You can check out the school here at this link :) http://www.scoilbhrideshantalla.ie/
    It used to be a feeder school for the Presentation Secondary (now Our Lady's) not sure if it still is though. The Jes primary is also a great school but can be difficult to get a place, it serves as a feeder for the Jes Secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Gaelscoil mhic amlaigh (?spelling) on Cappagh road is very good, and feeds into an Irish speaking secondary Coilaste na Corribe (top of league tables) on Ballymoneen road (both Knocknacarra).

My children go to the jes primary (Scoil iognaid) near salthill - fabulous school (gaelscoil)- large percentage of catholic children (which may or may not suit you). Not officially a feeder for the jes secondary but most get a place.
    Hard to get into both these primaries so put names down asap.

For boys St pats is a feeder for the Bish secondary - both have a good reputation. Salerno in salthill is one of the best girls only secondaries but I don't know which primary schools feed to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

For boys St pats is a feeder for the Bish secondary - both have a good reputation. Salerno in salthill is one of the best girls only secondaries but I don't know which primary schools feed to it.
    Scoil Ide in Ard na Mara is the feeder school for Salerno. Bus's from barna maybe few, but the one from knocknacarra drops about 15 mins(a safe walk) away.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BBall1980

Thanks so much for your views. I have a call on Thursday with an old friend, who through work knows the school landscape very well. Once I've had that call...I may be back with more questions. Thanks again for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Moomintroll99

I would second Scoil Bhride Shantalla.

We moved to Ireland from abroad last year, knew absolutely nothing about schools in Galway, and ended up there because our first choice was full. Our daughter has been super happy there. It's very friendly & inclusive with great teachers.

Other friends have kids at the Claddagh school & Educate Together in Newcastle and are also happy with those.

Come to think of it, I have yet to meet someone on the west side of Galway who has a bad word to say about their primary school - the quality seems to be very good.

Hi folks,

Has anyone experience with Barna National School (Scoil Shéamais Naofa) please? We are looking to move to the area and would ideally like our children to attend the local school to be part of the community. As it is not a feeder to the ‘big’ named city secondary schools, do local people tend to avoid it and opt for a city primary? Where do children from Barna School progress onto? Would love to hear about the vibe, the teaching standard, facilities, classroom sizes etc. Sorry for all the questions….moving country with kids is a tricky business :)

Many thanks

BBall1980 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Has anyone experience with Barna National School (Scoil Shéamais Naofa) please? We are looking to move to the area and would ideally like our children to attend the local school to be part of the community. As it is not a feeder to the ‘big’ named city secondary schools, do local people tend to avoid it and opt for a city primary? Where do children from Barna School progress onto? Would love to hear about the vibe, the teaching standard, facilities, classroom sizes etc. Sorry for all the questions….moving country with kids is a tricky business :)

Many thanks

This might be no help to you but I know two families from Barna. One sent kids to Scoil Fhursa on Taylor's hill (then the bish/salerno). One sent kids to the Jes (Scoil iognaid) and jes secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

BBall1980 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Many thanks
    It's a great school, with a great reputation and a lot of children go to Coláiste Einde in Salthill from there.

Thanks xfactorfan23 - Ive heard great things of Scoil Fhursa.

• Advertisement

Thanks SalthillProm - good to know.

Advertisement