Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

android routing app options

Options
  • 28-05-2017 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Am thinking of buying pathAway app for android phone as my garmin has gone faulty. I have used the free download trial once and it seems ok and just wondering is there any other good options out there. Basically I want to be able to plan a route on it and then have the ability to follow that route realtime. pathAway pro at about €45 also gives me the ability to share my location which I see as a good safety feature as I may be hiking on my own at times. Not sure of the offline features it has but would always have a map as backup. Battery usage seems ok when i used it, think it used about 30% of my battery over 4 hours.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

grumpygit wrote: »
    Am thinking of buying pathAway app for android phone as my garmin has gone faulty. I have used the free download trial once and it seems ok and just wondering is there any other good options out there. Basically I want to be able to plan a route on it and then have the ability to follow that route realtime. pathAway pro at about €45 also gives me the ability to share my location which I see as a good safety feature as I may be hiking on my own at times. Not sure of the offline features it has but would always have a map as backup. Battery usage seems ok when i used it, think it used about 30% of my battery over 4 hours.

Have a look at VIEWRANGER
    This does all you will ever want/need a hiking GPS system for your smartphone to do. You can buy tiles of the Irish OS May (1:50,000) and also buy the excellent EastWest Mapping maps for use on it, they give you a couple for free Irish OS Map tiles to have a look see. You can use OpenCycle Map with it if you wish, not ideal for hiking, but reasonable enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭grumpygit

Thanks SOPHIE THE DOG. just had a trip using viewranger and it worked perfectly even using only the default maps. You just saved me up to 50 euro :):)

Advertisement