Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

forumuser wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in but would this be suitable for an 11yo that's interested in fantasy? He usually shares the TV with his 8yo sister and is looking for something a bit 'older' that he can talk to his friends at school about. Saw the trailer for this and thought it might suit? Thanks.

The movie it's a prequel to is on Netflix as well. So if you wanted, you could watch that with him and decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

forumuser wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in but would this be suitable for an 11yo that's interested in fantasy? He usually shares the TV with his 8yo sister and is looking for something a bit 'older' that he can talk to his friends at school about. Saw the trailer for this and thought it might suit? Thanks.

Probably a little too dark for an 8 year old. Although she'd probably like Deet and Hup. Their stuff would appeal to that age bracket, it's just the surrounding darkness of the whole story that might be a little much.

11 year old should be okay. The eye scene mentioned above is probably the most violent thing in the show but even then nothing is actually shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭forumuser

8yo is still all unicorns and princesses, definitely wouldn't be her cup of tea! Don't think it would be my cup of tea either but think I'll watch with /ahead of him and see how it goes. Will report back in case it helps anyone else.
    Thanks for all the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

3: Hrrrmmm Gurjin..
    I reckon Gurjin will talk.
    I thought there was gonna be a
    Rian/Deet teamup there for a minute.
    Overall story I guess is gonna be
    Aughra setting up the prophecy.
    Still a ways Dark to go..

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Am I the only one who Hup reminds them of Jackie Chan, I just can't unsee him every time Hup is on screen.

6 episodes in and I'm really enjoying it, a lot more than the film if I'm honest which I watched a few weeks ago with only vague memories of seeing it as a child.

4: WTF!
    So hold on, how did the hunter survive the gobbles?!?

Dammit!
    Like I thought this was the episode where Rian was being made the hero.

but no..
    Dark times.. Dark times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Hup was the best thing in the show. Hopefully more adventures with him and Lore in season 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 3 and I don't think I've watched a show this balanced between the outright goofy and the morosely dark since ... well, I'm not sure. Maybe Dr Who at its macabre best.

Hup and Deet make for a sweet double act, full of silliness... and then ...

The little scene of the Skesis Chamberlain offering
    the last 2 of a worker race, both of them huddled together in abject sorrow, their mouths sewn shut
    , as a peace offering was a wretchedly miserable and heartbreaking tragic moment. Thump, went my mood lol. I'm kinda in awe at this got made at all because there's no way in hell Disney (for instance) would have let this get so grim.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I hadn't realised this was going to be a multi season gig.

Finished it Friday evening, thought it was one of the best shows Netflix have done.

5: Arrgghh!
    They got me thinking there was something hopeful coming along with the resistance and Aughra but no just more
    Darkness..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Just finished my second watch. Damn its a fine show. Its incredible the amount of work went into it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Took a break from this and picked up at episode 5, back to the world of betrayal, geological catastrophe and puppet genocide. It's my favourite show of the year :D

Deet and Pod were clearly added for the younger audiences but honestly are the only characters keeping the smile on my face lol. I'm fascinated as to where this is going to end up, given the status quo of the film (which I'll likely take another look at when I'm done with the series).

Has there been any scuttlebutt about a possible season 2, or the general numbers and reception? Online it seems to have been universally positive but of course that's not the metric at play ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

This just didn’t hold my attention at all. On me not the show maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kerplun k

pixelburp wrote: »
    Took a break from this and picked up at episode 5, back to the world of betrayal, geological catastrophe and puppet genocide. It's my favourite show of the year :D

Deet and Pod were clearly added for the younger audiences but honestly are the only characters keeping the smile on my face lol. I'm fascinated as to where this is going to end up, given the status quo of the film (which I'll likely take another look at when I'm done with the series).

Has there been any scuttlebutt about a possible season 2, or the general numbers and reception? Online it seems to have been universally positive but of course that's not the metric at play ..

The longer they leave it, the less likely it’ll be renewed.

• Advertisement

kerplun k wrote: »
    The longer they leave it, the less likely it’ll be renewed.

True, though the advantage of puppetry is that they wouldn't need to worry about their actors aging or being contracted with other productions ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Just finished the show and was mightily impressed with it, a worthy companion to the movie. And at 10 episodes it didn't feel stretched out at all. I love that the team involved were so committed to sticking to mostly practical effects for the production. This could be watched side by side with the movie and the differences wouldn't be too jarring at all. The colour palettes, the sets, the tone, even the voices sounded so similar!

Although I have to say that the show looks far superior to the movie, given the higher budget and sight CGI enhancements.

For those wondering whether or not it's suitable for kids, it may be puppets, but there is a far bit of violence/trauma on display. One of the crew in the Netflix doc commented on how it's unlikely they'd have been allowed go as dark as they did if they'd been using real actors in the show as opposed to puppets, which says a lot!

I'm really hoping that the show gets picked up for further seasons, but if not I'm still grateful we got to spend a little more time in this world, so cheers to Netflix for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I'm about five episodes in and can say that, barring a sudden drop in quality, this is easily my favourite show of the year. Very much hope they get a second season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

Finally finished this. I had to go back and rewatch the first four episodes because we had watched them with friends, one of them a muppet who couldn’t help but interrupt with snark every few seconds. I’m glad I did because I picked up a few things and was able to distinguish all the characters and their names more easily. This was brilliant from start to finish. Great choice of voice actors. Am I right in thinking there is room for more prequel content before we get to the events in the film?
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Am I the only one who Hup reminds them of Jackie Chan

The aforementioned fella kept goin on about Michael Jackson and Charlie Haughey during all the Deet/Hup scenes. :p :rolleyes:

6: Real
    Emperor
    from Star Wars moment there at the end! I guess it's mostly downhill from here with Aughra setting up the endgame.

Thought the flying creature looked cool.

• Advertisement

After another wee break, but came back and finished it up. Easily one of the shows of the year for me. Bit of a bittersweet ending really, and the biggest shock moment was
    the scientist bludgeoning his slave to death with a broken handle, blood splashing everywhere
    probably the most disturbing thing in the series IMO, after a string of other brutal moments. Never expected this to be as savage as it often was.

Had a quick Google and there's no sign of a season 2 yet, though everyone seems keen. Hopefully the numbers back it up.

And while the Henson workshop is busy they can bring back Farscape.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

After another wee break, but came back and finished it up. Easily one of the shows of the year for me. Bit of a bittersweet ending really, and the biggest shock moment was
    the scientist bludgeoning his slave to death with a broken handle, blood splashing everywhere
    probably the most disturbing thing in the series IMO
    Agreed on both counts - one of the finest of Netflix's originals and a credit to them for taking this sort of thing on. I don't think any other network / streaming provider would have done so. It captures the spirit of the film and makes it even better.
    It also manages a range of emotions - that scene was very disturbing for what is in some way a family show but also funny at times, in particular:
    the puppet show

Hup is also one of the all time great characters across all media and I'll hear no argument to the contrary!

7:
    Borg/Zombie
    Gelfling! :eek: They're screwed!

8: Feels all a bit
    too late now
    . We haven't even seen
    the Garthim turn up
    yet. I assume they'll
    take the place of the Arathim

Guessing some kind of
    big battle is on the way with Deet and Aughra putting the final pieces of the prophecy together
    to lead into the film.

And while the Henson workshop is busy they can bring back Farscape.

Wouldn't that be something! Perfect example of a show killed off way before its time.

FWIW, Brian Henson has talked up a new Farscape, teasing that something might be on the way. Nothing beyond that, so I interpret as meaning Henson & Bannon have been shopping scripts with (maybe) streaming services, testing the appetite.

9: Well..
    at least they'll put up a fight and set up for the prophecy. assume the Garthim will be at this battle to win it for the Skeksis

Finished!

10: So Dark!
    The poor aul Gruenaks!
    :eek: Surprised by the battle but I wasn't expecting
    that this probably leads into a 2nd season. I could imagine them stretching it out to 3, maybe 4 max
    . I was surprise at how they
    brought Aughra back but that was kinda cool. Looked a bit like the end of the film.

Overall: Well done. Although expected it to go down the dark road cos it's the prequel to the film.
    Looking forward to next season

For the voice cast, Benedict Wong stood out miles! Shocking he gets so little work. Looks like he only has 1 film lined up in the future and he's may not even be a lead: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Days_(film)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Cancelled. :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Cancelled. :(

Disappointing, but not entirely surprised... Not a cheap or quick production. Would be good to see it picked up elsewhere, but can't see that happening any time soon.

• Advertisement

Ah shoot, easily a show of 2019 for me but I can see how its expense as a relatively niche story made it hard to justify a renewal. Hard show to market too because the puppetry and lineage made it ostensibly a children's show - but the end result was rarely that. Quite inappropriate in places TBH

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm actually wearing a 'Hup the Paladin' t-shirt today and then they go and cancel it :(

I'm not surprised though - it's expensive, not many people watched it, it's probably even more difficult to make with Covid guidelines with people working so closely, and of course it's 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Unless it's cancelled in favour of a Hup spinoff series, then I'm not impressed by this news.
    I know expense has been suggested but I'd say the initial expense was getting it off the ground with the cost of sets and puppets, which wouldn't be as much of an issue going forward. Maybe a few new sets and puppets but the majority would be reused.
    Going by the finale, I couldn't see them doing more than 1 more season anyway before tying into the film

Ah that's so disappointing. Was hoping for at least one more season. Like others have mentioned, I thought the initial expense would have been the the sets and puppets they've already created. And the show was such an incredible expansion of the Dark Crystal world.

At least we'll always have this and the movie to enjoy. Great companion pieces to each other and a fantastic example of fairytale storytelling. Bit dark for kids, but then all the best fairytales are!

Advertisement