Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia 2017 STAGE 21: Monza – Milano 29.3 km ITT

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

What was said between Bob and Tom there? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

That's a very forced smile there, Nairo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Weepsie wrote: »
    That was exciting. I recall moaning however when in the past there's been GTs won on because of someones dominant TT skills.

Quintana needs to up his aggression. It's cost him at least one TdF and possibly this Giro.

You will be again when Dumoulin dominates in the years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Good thing I had a look here about an hour ago. I thought the starting times were Quintana starting 16:45ish our time, so by luck caught most of it.

Very worthy winner & refreshing to see a new person & a different kind of rider be a GT winner, & also tends to come across very well also. Best 3 riders overall despite Pinot & even Zakarin looking like they might get on the podium. Great the poo affair didn't decide things in the negative. Probably the key stage ultimately for me you could look at was that Dumoulin only lost a minute or so on his bad day when Quintana & Nibali attacked early. Only that so many teams were dropped on the descent & worked together, that would probably have been decisive - like in the Vuelta last year with Contador sinking Froome & Sky.

The key day for Nibali probably blowing up somewhat on Blockhaus. Lost a minute to Quintana & 36 seconds to Dumoulin.

Obviously though given the 2 minutes lost by Dumoulin due to Sh*tgate, no doubts about the very deserving winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Where was Dumolin in the bookies odds at the start of the giro?

• Advertisement

Dunno but for me he wasn't coming in as an outsider, with the 2 tt's & having nearly won the Vuelta 2 seasons ago, & apparently without specifically training towards it as a gc contender. The 3 who ended on the podium would have been for me the 3 most likely before the race to have ended on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Where was Dumolin in the bookies odds at the start of the giro?

I got him at 17/1 back in February or March

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I got him at 17/1 back in February or March

I should have been looking! Great & ridiculous odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Maybe now is the time to put money on Pinot for next years Giro...no Dumoulin or Quintana I'd say ...he will start to win GTs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Maybe now is the time to put money on Pinot for next years Giro...no Dumoulin or Quintana I'd say ...he will start to win GTs

Interesting call. Maybe put Yates or Jungels in to get podium spots too. Would be a great odds bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Nice one Tom!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

MPFGLB wrote: »

If he gets his TT back up to standard then he'll win one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Interesting call. Maybe put Yates or Jungels in to get podium spots too. Would be a great odds bet.

Yates and Jungles are kind of polar opposites, Jungels will favour a TT heavy Parcours and Yates needs a TT light parcours to maximise his chances, hard to see them both ending on on the same podium, both certainly capable of doing it in a race that suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Quintana needs to up his aggression. It's cost him at least one TdF and possibly this Giro.
    Or he's just not good enough? Has he really beaten any of the big guns when they've been on top of their game?

Delighted with today's result. A bit disappointed for Pinot - seems to be struggling to get the balance between climbing and TT right.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Or he's just not good enough? Has he really beaten any of the big guns when they've been on top of their game?

Delighted with today's result. A bit disappointed for Pinot - seems to be struggling to get the balance between climbing and TT right.

I'd say he is. By the same token you could just as well say hasnt been on top of his game when others have one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd say he is. By the same token you could just as well say hasnt been on top of his game when others have one
    Not really convinced - wouldn't have beaten froome at the vuelta without Contador leading the ambush. And his giro win was beating Uran and Aru iirc?

Advertisement