Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my hedge ruined

Options
  • 28-05-2017 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭

This is a well matured hedge but it's beside a busy main road so would imagine that doesn't help... I've put in two small goldcrest hedges to try and fill in the gap... Anything I can do help it's case and thicken up the gap area...

http://m.imgur.com/a/HG149

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

For a hedge of that sort to look solid it needs to have been trimmed back regularly from young, as seems to have happened on one side. Anywhere that is bare now is not going to thicken up so your solution with the goldcrest is a reasonable alternative. You should start trimming the hedge back though, but don't go to non-shooting wood as it will not grow again.

You need to get rid of the ivy and briars if you can, trim the whole hedge and plant some infill in front of the patchy side of the hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

Is there a certain time of year that it has to be trimmed or can ya go at anytime... Also any wood that has no greenery will not grow again is this correct... Would there be any feed that would help it's cause...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think its ok to cut it now, someone else will probably confirm that. Yes, only trim green parts, if you cut them off completely, back to bare branches it will not regrow. No, feed is not going to make any difference.

Advertisement