Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden wall Foundations

Options
  • 28-05-2017 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey Guys,

I live in a countryside house and am considering a garden wall, to serve as a privacy/windbreaker on the patio.

Wall Details: 9” Cavity block capped with Red Brick
    4.5m long x 2.2m high (above ground)
    Tied to an existing brick shed at one end and pillared at the other end

Wha is the foundation requirements, I was thinking 600mm(W) x 400mm(D). Also how far below ground should the top of the foundation be, I was thinking about 200mm?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

clarej5 wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

I live in a countryside house and am considering a garden wall, to serve as a privacy/windbreaker on the patio.

Wall Details: 9” Cavity block capped with Red Brick
    4.5m long x 2.2m high (above ground)
    Tied to an existing brick shed at one end and pillared at the other end

Wha is the foundation requirements, I was thinking 600mm(W) x 400mm(D). Also how far below ground should the top of the foundation be, I was thinking about 200mm?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

James

Extending a 100 year old house recently (straight and true after all that time) I encountered the foundations:

- two inches wider than the two brick thick wall
    - stopped at ground level after which damp course and house wall
    - approx 400mm deep

..that to hold up a two storey house

Those were the days.

Much depends on the ground your laying foundations onto. It need be solid stuff. I'd recommend heading across to the Construction forum where the correct specs will be readily to hand from the folk there

Advertisement