Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearms liscence

Options
  • 28-05-2017 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I purchased a shotgun and the dealer sent me the forms and said he will hold the gun 8 weeks and I will be charged for storage after that I have the gun bought for 4 weeks and sent of the liscence today how soon will I get my liscence?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

How long is a piece of string. It can, legally, take up to 3 months. Some have it in less than a week and others have waited well over 3 months.

However the one thing i want to laugh at, however inappropriate, is the dealer saying he'll charge storage on the gun after 8 weeks. Did you pay for it all upfront?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Seanb2000

Cass wrote: »
    How long is a piece of string. It can, legally, take up to 3 months. Some have it in less than a week and others have waited well over 3 months.

However the one thing i want to laugh at, however inappropriate, is the dealer saying he'll charge storage on the gun after 8 weeks. Did you pay for it all upfront?

Yes I bought a baikal o/u paid him the 300 upfront and I'm only 16 almost 17 would this affect my chances of my liscence being granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 thunderduck

Thats madness. Usually just pay a deposit on the firearm and when the licence comes through pay the balance. Be it 1 week or 3 months

Seanb2000 wrote: »
    Yes I bought a baikal o/u paid him the 300 upfront and I'm only 16 almost 17 would this affect my chances of my liscence being granted.

Ya have your competence course done??

Ya have your competence course done??

Yes the gun dealer ran me through a course and gave me a certificate

• Advertisement

Yes I bought a baikal o/u paid him the 300 upfront...........
    A mistake, but one we've all made at some point. Never, ever pay for any gun upfront, ever.

By paying for it upfront you now own the gun. Whether you get the license or not the gun is yours. A license only allows you to possess it, but it's legally your firearm.

I feel for you though as the dealer is taking the piss. By paying for it upfront he has his money and now will force you to do something with it so he can get it "off his books". Then to add insult to injury he will charge storage for it after 8 weeks. That is a prick of a move. not only for the actual act of doing it, but he knows well it can take up to 3 months. So while it would have still been a dick move he should have given you at least 3 months.
    and I'm only 16 almost 17 would this affect my chances of my licence being granted.
    No.

Once you turn 16 you can legally possess a firearm on your own. You have the course so it's a matter of waiting now. You'll receive a letter of receipt, then either a grant/refusal and if a grant you pay €80 at the post office and within a week you'll have the actual license.

Still cannot believe a dealer would do that. It is a complete and utter piece of sht move. Had you only paid the deposit he could not have done this. €50 would be enough and if you get refused you should get your deposit back, but if he was a dick and refused to refund your deposit at least it's only €50. Now if you get refused you still own the gun and have to pay storage and try and sell it.

If it takes too long to license or sell (upon refusal) you'll owe more in storage than the gun is worth.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

A mistake, but one we've all made at some point. Never, ever pay for any gun upfront, ever.

By paying for it upfront you now own the gun. Whether you get the license or not the gun is yours. A license only allows you to possess it, but it's legally your firearm.

I feel for you though as the dealer is taking the piss. By paying for it upfront he has his money and now will force you to do something with it so he can get it "off his books". Then to add insult to injury he will charge storage for it after 8 weeks. That is a prick of a move. not only for the actual act of doing it, but he knows well it can take up to 3 months. So while it would have still been a dick move he should have given you at least 3 months.

No.

Once you turn 16 you can legally possess a firearm on your own. You have the course so it's a matter of waiting now. You'll receive a letter of receipt, then either a grant/refusal and if a grant you pay €80 at the post office and within a week you'll have the actual license.

Still cannot believe a dealer would do that. It is a complete and utter piece of sht move. Had you only paid the deposit he could not have done this. €50 would be enough and if you get refused you should get your deposit back, but if he was a dick and refused to refund your deposit at least it's only €50. Now if you get refused you still own the gun and have to pay storage and try and sell it.

If it takes too long to license or sell (upon refusal) you'll owe more in storage than the gun is worth.

That's true I should have more cop on than that and hopefully things go smoothly and I get my liscence is there any help in explaining this to my local superintendent

That's true I should have more cop on than that and hopefully things go smoothly and I get my liscence is there any help in explaining this to my local superintendent

No. but you could try the firearms officer. Its a shotgun. Dont be in a panic you will get your licence no bother as long as you meet the criteria ie. Safety storage etc.

Your Super signs off the applications, but the Firearms Officer deals with the "day to day"" stuff. So give him/her a shout and ask fi there is anything they can do to speed up the process and how you'd be very grateful.

In all honesty they may not have much interest or sympathy for your situation but a phone call cannot hurt.
    No. but you could try the firearms officer. Its a shotgun. Dont be in a panic you will get your licence no bother as long as you meet the criteria ie. Safety storage etc.

The minimum standard for a shotgun is a trigger lock and disassembly with the parts stored in separate areas. A safe is only required if one is demanded. So if i were the OP i'd wait to hear back before buying, but if the OP can afford a safe then i'd get one for his own piece of mind.

Your Super signs off the applications, but the Firearms Officer deals with the "day to day"" stuff. So give him/her a shout and ask fi there is anything they can do to speed up the process and how you'd be very grateful.

In all honesty they may not have much interest or sympathy for your situation but a phone call cannot hurt.

The minimum standard for a shotgun is a trigger lock and disassembly with the parts stored in separate areas. A safe is only required if one is demanded. So if i were the OP i'd wait to hear back before buying, but if the OP can afford a safe then i'd get one for his own piece of mind.

Never mentioned a safe!

• Advertisement

Never said you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭CZ455Mad

Speaking from my own experiences here the first rifle I went for too 10 weeks! Wasn't in a mad panic for it or anything so I didn't mind the wait. The last one I got was a 12g semi and it took just over 2 weeks to come back! With the story of the gun dealer I think that's very very snakey to do to anyone let alone someone who is just starting out!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Not a dealer you would be dropping 120 euro with for a couple of slabs of cartridges, every few weeks/months.
    Pretty short sighted of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭CZ455Mad

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Not a dealer you would be dropping 120 euro with for a couple of slabs of cartridges, every few weeks/months.
    Pretty short sighted of him.

Agree 110% with you my local lad has never done me wrong and I'll never go somewhere to get part, guns, shells or rounds off someone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm not contributing anything to this thread other than to echo other people's sentiments.

That gun dealer is a dick if he is going to charge you storage while you are waiting for the licence. They wouldn't chance trying to do that with experienced shooters. They wouldn't be long waiting to be told where to shove their storage charges.

Sounds like he is trying to take advantage of a young lad starting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I think you need to go to a different dealer once you've finished this transaction.

I got my first shotgun licence recently (with help from advice from this forum) and 2 weeks after I sent in the paperwork for the gun, I got a call to tell me the licence had been granted, and it took another 2 weeks before I actually got it. My experience with the dealer I used was very positive, and the FO in the Garda station couldn't have been more helpful. Incidentally, my FO asked me not to buy a safe unless I felt I really had to, because he said that it could take months for someone to call out to check it, as they were understaffed.

Gravelly wrote: »
    I think you need to go to a different dealer once you've finished this transaction.

I got my first shotgun licence recently (with help from advice from this forum) and 2 weeks after I sent in the paperwork for the gun, I got a call to tell me the licence had been granted, and it took another 2 weeks before I actually got it. My experience with the dealer I used was very positive, and the FO in the Garda station couldn't have been more helpful. Incidentally, my FO asked me not to buy a safe unless I felt I really had to, because he said that it could take months for someone to call out to check it, as they were understaffed.

The Gardaí don't always come out and inspect your safe. I never had an inspection until I applied for a restricted firearm.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    The Gardaí don't always come out and inspect your safe. I never had an inspection until I applied for a restricted firearm.

My FO told me that if I bought a safe, he had to come out and inspect it, so unless I needed one (i.e if I was applying for a rifle or a second shotgun) that I shouldn't buy one as it would delay my application by months.

............ so unless I needed one (i.e if I was applying for a rifle or a second shotgun) that I shouldn't buy one as it would delay my application by months.
    That is the greatest load of nonsense i've heard in a while.

Don't buy a safe!!!!!

If the Super reviewing the application sees you have asafe when you don't "need" one according to the minimum standards of the secure accommodation SI then he sees you've gone that extra step. IOW you don't need one and he wasn't going to instruct you to get one, but got one regardless.

The Super can issue the license based on no safe so why would having it delay the application? Not sure i'm getting my point across well here, but do you understand where i'm coming from. You don't have to have one but got one and the FO now says it'll delay the application by months.

I'm assuming he means by the time it gets checked, etc. The CPO does that, if the FO is the CPO then fair enough, but i've not heard of (not to say it doesn't happen) anyone wiating months and months for a safe check.

My FO told me that if I bought a safe, he had to come out and inspect it, so unless I needed one (i.e if I was applying for a rifle or a second shotgun) that I shouldn't buy one as it would delay my application by months.

I have had lots of guns over the years, always had a safe, always put in a letter with my applications stating that I had a safe, and never ever had an inspection until quite recently and that was only because I applied for a restricted firearm.

I don't doubt that the FO told you that he would need to inspect a safe if you installed one. That doesn't mean that he is correct though. It was the crime prevention officer who checked my security setup and he only checked my setup because he was asked to do so by the Chief Superintendent.

Maybe I've just become cynical but I tend to let what a FO tells me in one ear and out the other because in a lot of my dealings with them, they simply didn't know what they were doing and were talking sh1te. Not all of them mind, to be fair I've come across the odd good one.

• Advertisement

That is the greatest load of nonsense i've heard in a while.

Don't buy a safe!!!!!

If the Super reviewing the application sees you have asafe when you don't "need" one according to the minimum standards of the secure accommodation SI then he sees you've gone that extra step. IOW you don't need one and he wasn't going to instruct you to get one, but got one regardless.

The Super can issue the license based on no safe so why would having it delay the application? Not sure i'm getting my point across well here, but do you understand where i'm coming from. You don't have to have one but got one and the FO now says it'll delay the application by months.

I'm assuming he means by the time it gets checked, etc. The CPO does that, if the FO is the CPO then fair enough, but i've not heard of (not to say it doesn't happen) anyone wiating months and months for a safe check.
    I have had lots of guns over the years, always had a safe, always put in a letter with my applications stating that I had a safe, and never ever had an inspection until quite recently and that was only because I applied for a restricted firearm.

I don't doubt that the FO told you that he would need to inspect a safe if you installed one. That doesn't mean that he is correct though. It was the crime prevention officer who checked my security setup and he only checked my setup because he was asked to do so by the Chief Superintendent.

Maybe I've just become cynical but I tend to let what a FO tells me in one ear and out the other because in a lot of my dealings with them, they simply didn't know what they were doing and were talking sh1te. Not all of them mind, to be fair I've come across the odd good one.

Didn't affect me, as I wasn't getting one anyway (that'll be for when I can talk herself into letting me get a rifle, hopefully soon), but that's what he said, and as far as I was concerned, this being my first application and all, whatever he said was fine with me.

Didn't affect me, as I wasn't getting one anyway (that'll be for when I can talk herself into letting me get a rifle, hopefully soon), but that's what he said, and as far as I was concerned, this being my first application and all, whatever he said was fine with me.

You are obviously very very inexperienced.

Don't ever ever ever tell her you are getting another gun. They don't understand these things. :D

Just say nothing and get the gun. She might not even notice. (would you notice if she got new shoes?) And if she does notice, then it's much easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. :D

You are obviously very very inexperienced.

Don't ever ever ever tell her you are getting another gun. They don't understand these things. :D

Just say nothing and get the gun. She might not even notice. (would you notice if she got new shoes?) And if she does notice, then it's much easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. :D

I've used that approach with cars for years :D

Oh another question just wondering what is it that delays applications for people is it the local station not sending them off for ages or is it just the people in Dublin that are slow at processing...
    I have a cousin who got his gun in two weeks and a uncle who took 6 months for each of his firearms

Oh another question just wondering what is it that delays applications for people is it the local station not sending them off for ages or is it just the people in Dublin that are slow at processing...
    I have a cousin who got his gun in two weeks and a uncle who took 6 months for each of his firearms

It's different in pretty much every station around the country. Some process applications quickly and others leave them sitting in a pile for months before they get around to sending them to the Super.

Nobody here can answer how long an application can take. Like you said, some people get their licence in two weeks, others can take six, seven, eight months even. A good rule of thumb is that if you haven't heard anything after about four weeks or so, go into your Garda station and ask how the licence application is progressing. That often gets the ball rolling. They will be able to see the progress on Pulse. If it's on the Pulse system, the ball is rolling. If it isn't on the Pulse system, then it's probably in a pile somewhere in the Garda station and hasn't even been looked at yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

My recent experiences I think sums it up-

Latest FO takes ages to process substitution and renewals ( 3 - 6 months well over due). He then takes extended leave and I submit a new substitution - temporary guy processes it in less the 2 weeks. FO back off leave and now I'm 6 weeks overdue on a renewal. All this by the way in the district's HQ where the paper work is trotted up the corridor to the Supers' office.
    In this case it's the 'man' and not the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The workings of the Gardai are strange and mysterious.
    Changed the gun to a semi.
    Applied for an increase in cartridge limit to 600,up from 100.

Got the substitution licence but limit still 100.
    Dropped into main station and left details for Firearms Officer.
    They rang back next day, why do you need more than 100?
    For clays , says I
    But your licence was granted for game shooting originally, so the limit cannot be upped on a sub. because its really the same as the original licence just a different gun.

But they're cheaper in larger numbers, more convenient etc, etc, says I.

Where do you shoot these clays? they ask.
    I name a local club.

Leave in a copy of your Club membership card as proof, and I'll see what I can do.

Anyway, with farming etc didn't get to leave it in last week, but new licence with increased limit arrived today anyway !!

Do thank god my local FO is on the ball. As long as you have everything in order she gets it done. First rifle was 2 weeks first shotgun 5 days

Advertisement