Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Economics: Advice

Options
  • 28-05-2017 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello!

So I'll be going into 5th year in September, and I was considering picking up Economics outside of school.

From doing a bit of research here on the forum, I can establish that the syllabus is much shorter than most Leaving Certificate courses, and students who have sat the examination before me have seemed to enjoy it and would recommend it.

I know I would enjoy it, because of the short syllabus and most of the course is just definitions anyway, and those are easily placed into my brain with a bit of learning!

If anybody has done it, is there any document like the syllabus that shows what is to be learned? I'd be learning it by myself and the syllabus itself seems too vague. I'd like to start now preferably, and I know there are textbooks, but I'd prefer something free!

Also, if I do sit the exam will my school be able to have a center for it, or will I need to find another school that has Economics (my school does not offer the subject).

If you've read to much of the forum for today, then here's a summary of my questions:

1. Any guide on what to learn that's more detailed than the syllabus?
    2. My school doesn't offer it, but will I still be able to sit the exam there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 catb

I didn't study economics for the LC (although I'm studying it in college) so I can't really help you with your first question, but regarding your second question, yes you can sit the exam in your school. Just mention it to the principal so that they know for the paper and all that jazz

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭aon1998

I never really understood people when they say it is a short course. I think a lot of people leave a lot of the course out. It's not just a lot of definitions. Over the last few years the examiner has been mixing different parts of the course in with each other in questions.

It is one of oldest courses on the leaving cert and you COULD discount a lot of the old questions (1980s) but they pop every now and again and it is a risk. The A rate is actually very low.

Basically the course is broken down as follows.

1. Demand, Supply & Elasticity
    2. Market Structures
    3. Factors of Production
    4. International Trade
    5. National Income
    6. Fiscal Policy
    7. Monetary Policy
    8. Economic Geography

I used positive economics (which I wouldn't recommend) in school last year but I'm in a grinds school now so I use notes.

Once you follow the correct procedures you will be able to sit the exam in your own school. Talk to your school's exam secretary.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mldj

I do Economics, I'm doing the exam in June, I do it in school. Here's my opinion :)

1. Economics is incredibly easy to pass, but difficult to get an A1 in (about 2% last year) because of the nature of the marking schemes. I just about scraped a H1 in the mocks. The marking schemes are awfully specific and sometimes outright unfair. For example, one year in the leaving cert a short question asked students to state 4 assumptions of consumer behaviour. One of the answers I gave was 'The consumer purchases Economic Goods only'. Although this is answer is one that is given in both of the main books used for leaving cert as well as the Less Stress book, it was still not accepted as correct.

2. You could cover the syllabus in a year. It's extremely short and you don't necessarily have to do all of the macro (government, nat. income, banking etc.) section in detail. There's so much choice on the exam and there really isn't any need. Here's a link to the economics syllabus:http://www.curriculumonline.ie/getmedia/6e2b19a4-c54b-4a20-ade3-d24896e4e50c/SCSEC12_Economics_syllabus_eng.pdf

3. It's not that difficult to understand imo, it's really just hipster business. It is, however, INCREDIBLY boring. Like, soul-destroyingly boring. The syllabus is so outdated and unfit for purpose. I liked economics, but seriously, I don't care how interested you are in the subject you are going to want to pull your hair out studying certain sections. Some of the stuff is so painstakingly obvious while other material is so technical.

4. All of the economics books are AWFULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL ~(soz denis o grady). They go into needless detail you will never use in the exam. None of the statistics are up to date. Some of the definitions are wrong and would not be accepted by the marking schemes,

(REALISES IM NOT ANSWERING OUR QUESTIONS OOPS)

Here's the topics I think you should study in detail:

Supply/Demand/Elasticity/Consumer Behaviour/ Etc.
    Costs, revenue and profit
    Competition
    Factors of Production
    National Income
    Inflation
    Money and Banking
    International Trade.
    Have a working knowledge of the other topics though.

You will definitely be able to sit the exam, just tell your school at the start of sixth year. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DQ400

Thanks, and good luck in June!

Advertisement