Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shetland 570

• 28-05-2017 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a Shetland 570.
    Its missing the pilots seat.

I'm thinking if buying a swivel seat that can fix to the floor.
    Has anyone donee this?
    I think the floor is foam filled with ply and fiberglass on top.

Also there is a leak in the sky light in the cabin which I née to fix.. The water has left the interior lining on the roof black with mould.
    I'll most likely remove the lining altogether.. What's usually behind this?
    I was thinking of removing it and just painting whatever is there.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Congrats on the new boat.
    Should be no problem putting in a swivel seat if the plywood is good. Behind the lining there will probably be just a few strips of timber fibreglassed to the roof I just glued on some white leatherette in my boat.

There is a good owners club for Shetlands that would be worth joining http://www.shetlandowners.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=931

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

fergal.b wrote: »
    Congrats on the new boat.
    Should be no problem putting in a swivel seat if the plywood is good. Behind the lining there will probably be just a few strips of timber fibreglassed to the roof I just glued on some white leatherette in my boat.

There is a good owners club for Shetlands that would be worth joining http://www.shetlandowners.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=931

Cheers Fergal.
    Not sure yet on the condition of the ply.
    Have a few bits to do.
    Got a mid 70s 20hp yam for free that runs.
    I need to work out a way of hooking up a modern steering cable to an older engine... Might have to get in the A team garage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

If yourr looking for ideas etc. you could do worse than looking at dnme's thread, for sheer determination and had work, it's inspiring. My thread also covers a refurbished on a Microplus, not unlike a Shetland. It might help. Good luck with it and do keep us posted. Don't forget plenty of pics!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Cheers Fergal.
    Not sure yet on the condition of the ply.
    Have a few bits to do.
    Got a mid 70s 20hp yam for free that runs.
    I need to work out a way of hooking up a modern steering cable to an older engine... Might have to get in the A team garage

You can buy kits to convert the steering should be able to pick one up on eBay or if you know someone thats handy at metalwork they could make you up one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

most likely will make something up - its a teleflex steering cable that would slot into and thread onto a newer engine.
    my engine is the older type where the steering cable would have been a pulley system.

Have mate with a garage and welding equipment.
    We may have to find a way to fix the cable in the boat so it doesn't move about and then connect the cable end to the engine.

I've attached images of an engine similar to mine and the type of cable currently in the boat.

I intend on getting a more modern engine in future so will keep that cable in situ.

• Advertisement

You might need a ball and socket fixing point.

hqdefault_zpsr4xlizij.jpg

and something like this on the engine you may or may not need the link arm.

001_zpst7c3vvvi.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

On the headlining I used starbrite mould remover to good effect on a variety of materials (last use was a blackout blind in the house). It was about a tenner from marine parts direct, suspect its just watered down bleach but it worked well with repeated applications, washed off between each go to prevent staining.

Advertisement