Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black bugs on my cherry tree?

Options
  • 28-05-2017 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

Any ideas what black bugs like aphids are on my cherry tree, hanging around the young leaves, will they affect apple trees or are they specific to cherry blossom tree?

Is there a solution to spray them with that's not unfriendly to the environment or the tree obviously ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sounds like black fly. Anything that kills greenfly will do. Soapy water works. Apple trees will get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Any commercially available food friendly spray I could use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

vicwatson wrote: »
    Any commercially available food friendly spray I could use?

Afraid I can't help, as I gave up on insecticides long ago. I just use soapy water (from washing up liquid).
    Others here may have some brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Soak some cigarette-ends in water, until it is a brown smelly liquid - this contains nicotine, which is a poison. Strain out the solids.
    Add a squirt of washing-up liquid, to make it soapy so it clings to the leaves.

Then sprinkle or spray on the affected plants. You might have to repeat a time or two, but this often works.

Advertisement