Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm keeps on going off/recommend a new alarm

Options
  • 28-05-2017 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

Our alarm keeps in going off, much to the delight of 1 of the neighbours.
    This time it showed that the sensor in the sitting room triggered it, blinds were down, doors closed, it's only a motion sensor in that room.
    Before this when I have come home, I don't remember seeing which sensor triggered it.
    Is there anything I can do or am allowed to do or do I need to get a service.

I was thinking of getting an alarm that would notify me if it was triggered with the ability to reset the alarm remotely, can anyone recommend one please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

When was the system last serviced?
    I get your frustration but this is like looking for a new car because your existing one has gotten a puncture.
    Is there a spiders web on front of the beam by any chance?

What panel have you currently got?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

kub wrote: »
    When was the system last serviced?
    I get your frustration but this is like looking for a new car because your existing one has gotten a puncture.
    Is there a spiders web on front of the beam by any chance?

What panel have you currently got?

We moved in a year ago, the house is 11 years old now, we put it on the long finger about getting a service and I think the last owners may have never had it done (this house was a 2nd home for them)

The panel is a HKC secure watch (this is all new to me so I could just be typing random letters for all I know, sorry)

And yeah, a spider had made it it's home behind the sensor, are they that sensitive?

hairyslug wrote: »
    We moved in a year ago, the house is 11 years old now, we put it on the long finger about getting a service and I think the last owners may have never had it done (this house was a 2nd home for them)

The panel is a HKC secure watch (this is all new to me so I could just be typing random letters for all I know, sorry)

And yeah, a spider had made it it's home behind the sensor, are they that sensitive?

First off, evict that spider, yes they can set beams off. Beams sit in the corner of a room, they have a lense, just like binoculars. Imagine you are looking through binoculars and someone puts their little finger in front of the lense, look at how big it is.......
    So yes spiders by strolling across the front of a beam will activate it.

As this was a second house i would imagine the system that was installed was just a basic one.

If you are happy enough to keep an eye out for spiders then good, you could of course upgrade that system, what we recommend is, as it is a domestic system is the fitting of inertia shock sensors and contacts to all of the vulnerable windows and doors in your home. Then perhaps the installation of a few beams just to provide verification.
    Of course the system can be used at night as with part guard programming the beams will be off at night.

So that system is well and truly due a service, if you are considering upgrading then get yourself at least 3 written quotations by PSA licensed installers. I would recommend professional monitoring by any one of the dozens of monitoring companies in this country. App control is available on all new control panels. From a manufacturers perspective i would recommend HKC or Vanderbilt.

You are correct about the make and model of the control panel by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Cheers, by upgrading and adding those things to windows/doors, can it be done wirelessly.

hairyslug wrote: »
    Cheers, by upgrading and adding those things to windows/doors, can it be done wirelessly.

It can indeed, this is where HKC might be a better option as their wireless inertia shock sensors have integrated contacts and also can accomodate a wired inertia sensor on the same frame should it be necessary, they are the only manufacturer that can accomodate this.
    The battery life on their wireless sensors is excellent as well, i don't know of any other where the batteries are still going strong after 4 years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement