Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment 2017, Stage 1.

• 28-05-2017 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

Hi guys I thought I would set up a new thread for for everyone and myself who will be facing into stage 1 of the recruitment drive 2017, the aptitude tests. I thought this would be a good place for any help and advice which may be needed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 19gerwin90

Has anyone found any good test examples online for the aptitude test so you can get familiar with what you will be tested on in stage 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Check772

Anyone heard back after sending in the initial application form or is it too early?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Oruam

Check772 wrote: »
    Anyone heard back after sending in the initial application form or is it too early?

Not yet

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Warlock45

Check772 wrote: »

Not yet, I'd say we should hear by Thursday, anyone have any tips for part A of stage one? Seems to be a long and arduous process going by the threads people from Sept 16 still waiting to be cleared

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

19gerwin90 wrote: »
    Has anyone found any good test examples online for the aptitude test so you can get familiar with what you will be tested on in stage 1?

Just seen I got a registered letter on Thursday. Anyone know if that is how we hear back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

canonball5 wrote:
    Just seen I got a registered letter on Thursday. Anyone know if that is how we hear back?

I got nothing, I don't no last Thursday. Was it a email and what exactly did it say. Thanks.

vardy98 wrote: »
    I got nothing, I don't no last Thursday. Was it a email and what exactly did it say. Thanks.

Not sure An Post delivered a registered letter last Thursday and only seen it today. The letter is still in the post office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Yoop_

canonball5 wrote: »

We get an email. That's how it was done in previous campaigns anyway.

Yoop_ wrote:
    We get an email. That's how it was done in previous campaigns anyway.

Ya thats what I got when I applied I got a confirmation email that my application was successfully submitted. So I don't no about any letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Butter

Everything done by e-mail. The only letter you will be getting in this process is at the very end if you managed to make it with your official offer and what to bring with you to start in Templemore.

• Advertisement

Hi guys, I have a quick question regarding the preparation courses career services run. I am going to do one so I applied for it, in Waterford yet I didn't get a confirmation email that I have signed up yet I checked my bank account and they took the 230 euro from my account so it must be OK then is it, do you not get an email of conformation, could someone please confirm this. Thanks in advance

Hi guys, I have a quick question regarding the preparation courses career services run. I am going to do one so I applied for it, in Waterford yet I didn't get a confirmation email that I have signed up yet I checked my bank account and they took the 230 euro from my account so it must be OK then is it, do you not get an email of conformation, could someone please confirm this. Thanks in advance

I suggest you call them

Oruam wrote:
    I suggest you call them

Thanks bud, I think I will to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 doncop

Anyone been sent the link yet to the online tests?

doncop wrote:
    Anyone been sent the link yet to the online tests?

I don't think we get that till tomorrow, I've heard nothing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 doncop

Ahh thats grand then bud. Should hopefully all start happening now soon then.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭thestar

are the online exams verbal analyitical and then the shapes? I forget the name over the shapes..

thestar wrote:
    are the online exams verbal analyitical and then the shapes? I forget the name over the shapes..

Ya I think your right I get confused over the names verbal reasoning is the paragraphs and you have to pick out the answers and then the shapes is abstract/analytical reasoning, there seem to be two names on that test but both mean the same thing I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭shaunerz

Hi guys, I have received assessment questionnaire. Has any one here applied through reserve stream?

shaunerz wrote: »
    Hi guys, I have received assessment questionnaire. Has any one here applied through reserve stream?

Got mine too!

• Advertisement

• Where it says that we have to complete it between the 8th and the 14th does that mean not to do it today? Also this is for full time garda right? Not reserve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭shaunerz

Where it says that we have to complete it between the 8th and the 14th does that mean not to do it today? Also this is for full time garda right? Not reserve

Your right, it means complete between the 8th and 14th, meaning not today, the 7th. And yes, full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

Hi just looking for clarification. Is part a (8-14 june) the assessment questionnaire and part b (21-27 june) the verbal and numerical aptitude tests?

I got my questionnaire too, starting to feel real now....

Hi just looking for clarification. Is part a (8-14 june) the assessment questionnaire and part b (21-27 june) the verbal and numerical aptitude tests?

That's right. There's more detailed information on both parts in the little booklet they gave us.

Lads, it's not rocket science. Read the information provided, it's pretty clear! Some of those tests look pretty difficult, had a look online at some practice ones before getting into this.

• shaunerz wrote: »
    Your right, it means complete between the 8th and 14th, meaning not today, the 7th. And yes, full time.

Crap I completed it there

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Jonnymurphy

Yeah i completed mine just there too. Only seen this now wonder if its ok ?

The instruction booklet says you can complete the assessment from the time you receive the link on the 8th, until the 14th. So seeing as they sent the link a bit earlier I would hazard a guess that you guys that completed it will be okay.

I would definitely recommend reading the info booklets first in future though. It would be a shame to be fail a stage on a technicality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭droptheworld

Anyone know if it's too late to do one of those preparation courses online?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dublinhill16

Anyone know if it's too late to do one of those preparation courses online?

No man you can get a online one from Career Services.. if get it ASAP though because you only have until the 14th to submit!..

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cheallaigheoin

How did everyone get on in the job simulation? Tough or easy folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Gizmo94

How did everyone get on in the job simulation? Tough or easy folks?

Never really know how it goes. Think I did ok but sure who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 46 tommyharper

Can someone tell me if there is a numerical reasoning test this year?

Can someone tell me if there is a numerical reasoning test this year?

No mate no numerical reasoning test this year, is that a maths aptitude test?, there's only a verbal reasoning test and a logical reasoning/ discovering rules test.

• Advertisement

No mate no numerical reasoning test this year, is that a maths aptitude test?, there's only a verbal reasoning test and a logical reasoning/ discovering rules test.

Great, was getting nervous about percentages, decimals and ratios!!

Another question, the last beep test i did was in secondary school, can anybody recommended an app for the training and will 5k training suffice?

Another question, the last beep test i did was in secondary school, can anybody recommended an app for the training and will 5k training suffice?

Level 8 should be 1440m. 5km would be more than for the highest level (21)

I have downloaded 'Beep test', but never tried it so far.

Does anyone know what the differences between the first familiarisation material we received and the updated one are?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭droptheworld

Anyone complete the aptitude test yet? I'm holding off for a few days just tried to do a practice test for the sequences part and I'm finding it so difficult :confused:

• Advertisement

Anyone complete the aptitude test yet? I'm holding off for a few days just tried to do a practice test for the sequences part and I'm finding it so difficult

No, I havn't done mind yet, I'm holding off for a few days to try and get as much practice as possible, what are you using for practice? I'm using the online course from careers services but I find the stuff from the public jobs link at lot tougher.

The public jobs link is near impossible, i'm doing the kilroys one, just keep practicing them and review the ones you're getting wrong, try your best to understand the sequence, it's very much repeating them over and over, best of luck with them.

The public jobs link is near impossible, i'm doing the kilroys one, just keep practicing them and review the ones you're getting wrong, try your best to understand the sequence, it's very much repeating them over and over, best of luck with them.

I no what you mean I can't make heads or tails of the public jobs link, they are super hard everything I learned in my prep course with careers services we were never shown anything like those shapes and patterns ectopic. I hope the real ones are nothing like those. Maybe there just a scare, let's hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 19gerwin90

I no what you mean I can't make heads or tails of the public jobs link, they are super hard everything I learned in my prep course with careers services we were never shown anything like those shapes and patterns ectopic. I hope the real ones are nothing like those. Maybe there just a scare, let's hope.

Careers Services never done the shapes and patterns?? That was gauranteed to be on it why would they not do that?

19gerwin90 wrote: »
    Careers Services never done the shapes and patterns?? That was gauranteed to be on it why would they not do that?

I think he means that difficult, I think

19gerwin90 wrote:

Oh no they did do the shapes and the patterns but the ones they done were not a bit like or as tough as the ones that were on the public jobs link, sorry I wrote that a bit wrong. Careers services covered everything the shapes patterns and sequences etc to the English paragraphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭kerryman85

I did the career services course myself and did the assessment last night. In all fairness it's no where near as difficult as the practise tests they supplied, but there was a couple of sticky questions which is to be expected. If you've done all the assessments with career services and been scoring consistently then you should be more than prepared for it.
    But best of luck everyone!

kerryman85 wrote: »
    I did the career services course myself and did the assessment last night. In all fairness it's no where near as difficult as the practise tests they supplied, but there was a couple of sticky questions which is to be expected. If you've done all the assessments with career services and been scoring consistently then you should be more than prepared for it.
    But best of luck everyone!

Good to know it! Thanks.

So, it it a complete the sequence/pattern with the right figure, or pick the odd one?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭kerryman85

Oruam wrote: »
    Good to know it! Thanks.

So, it it a complete the sequence/pattern with the right figure, or pick the odd one?

It's to complete the sequence with the right figure.

kerryman85 wrote: »
    Oruam wrote: »
    Good to know it! Thanks.

It's to complete the sequence with the right figure.

As I thought. Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement