Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment 2017, Stage 1.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭kerryman85

Oh and a word of advice, make sure your flash player for your browser is up to date as it requires flash for the screen to appear. You'll see if it is or not when you do the practise assessment. Just in case you start panicking. If you do need it (like I did), just install when prompted and restart the browser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Good christ those aptitude tests are tedious. The first one, the verbal reasoning one, was grand, but I barely made it through the abstract one. Bleugh! My concentration skills are gone to sh*te since primary school, so many million years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Trish587

I also completed mine today it. It was a difficult exam but I'm glad to have it completed. Roll on the 14th of July for results. When you finished yours did you just log out. There was no submit button but I did note it said at the top your results have been recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 19gerwin90

Do you get any hint after the aptitude test how you done?

I didn't get around to doing a course so all I have to go by is the practice tests they tell you about in the induction letter, is the real test anything like these? I am doing average in them but they are fairly intimidating I will admit that

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Oruam

19gerwin90 wrote: »
    Do you get any hint after the aptitude test how you done?

I didn't get around to doing a course so all I have to go by is the practice tests they tell you about in the induction letter, is the real test anything like these? I am doing average in them but they are fairly intimidating I will admit that

Plus, the link that public jobs gave us to practise gives only one test for both types, the verbal one and the abstract one. So, you can practise only on the same questions. But it's ok, I'm not much worried

• Registered Users Posts: 46 tommyharper

anyone reakon the actual verbal reasoning test was as difficult as the public jobs link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

anyone reakon the actual verbal reasoning test was as difficult as the public jobs link

I found the verbal reasoning grand really. Was done in a few minutes. I'm a fast reader!

The abstract was guesswork, in fairness though I always do very well on those based on what looks right, my first instinct, so I'm guessing it'll be the same this time.

I didn't do the practice ones, but they're similar to other Public Jobs aptitude tests I've done over the past couple of years, always turned out well in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

kerryman85 wrote:
    I did the career services course myself and did the assessment last night. In all fairness it's no where near as difficult as the practise tests they supplied, but there was a couple of sticky questions which is to be expected. If you've done all the assessments with career services and been scoring consistently then you should be more than prepared for it. But best of luck everyone!

That's really good to no, I havn't done the exam yet I was too afraid but after reading your post it has put me at ease, I also done the prep course with careers services and I have done all the prep stuff that they gave me and I'm scoring consistently in nearly all the tests so Hopfully I'll do enough to pass, if their anything like the career services ones or even easier I should be OK.

vardy98 wrote: »
    That's really good to no, I havn't done the exam yet I was too afraid but after reading your post it has put me at ease, I also done the prep course with careers services and I have done all the prep stuff that they gave me and I'm scoring consistently in nearly all the tests so Hopfully I'll do enough to pass, if their anything like the career services ones or even easier I should be OK.

I found the career services material perfect for the preparation, well worth doing. Have a pen and paper to hand for the logical reasoning, there's a few sticklers that you need to be able to work out and you'll be under pressure with time. But don't stress, pick a time where you're 100% focused, clear the house of all distractions and get it done 💪ðŸ»
    You'll be more than ok with the prep you've done. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Lijdsaymurphy3

Any joy with a practice aptitude test? Planning on doing it Monday night, but really nervous because you can't do a practice test before hand.

Any joy with a practice aptitude test? Planning on doing it Monday night, but really nervous because you can't do a practice test before hand.
    You can do the ones (one for the verbal reasoning, one for the abstract) that you find clicking on the link in the pre-test info booklet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 teradata94

Just finished the tests..Got most of them complete in the timeframe..i think 1 for the logical reasoning left and maybe 2 for the verbal reasoning..does anyone know the timeframes for this campaign - stage 2 / 3 /4 / intake etc providing all goes well.

Interested to see how others fared in stage 1 also

teradata94 wrote:
    Just finished the tests..Got most of them complete in the timeframe..i think 1 for the logical reasoning left and maybe 2 for the verbal reasoning..does anyone know the timeframes for this campaign - stage 2 / 3 /4 / intake etc providing all goes well.

teradata94 wrote:
    Interested to see how others fared in stage 1 also

I've just completed the tests two, the shapes I think I done well in those I completed that with about a minute left but the verbal I'm not so sure I think I left two or three blank as I run out of time and for the ones I answered I don't think I did good but I really don't no; I would like to think I done ok, has anyone got any idea how they actually make them, or what is a pass grade would it be half ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Spike1976

I may be wrong here but I wouldn't say there is a pass mark defined..i guess it depends on how everyone performed and the rate will be made based on that

Spike1976 wrote:
    I may be wrong here but I wouldn't say there is a pass mark defined..i guess it depends on how everyone performed and the rate will be made based on that

OK thanks pal, so how do they actually pass and fail people is it to do with the amount of applications received ? Any body no. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭GB FAN GALWAY 30

OK thanks pal, so how do they actually pass and fail people is it to do with the amount of applications received ? Any body no. Thanks

For each segment of the test there is a qualifying standard predetermined by the PAS. It makes no odds to them whether 100 or 1000 reach this standard. Those who reach the standard will be called forward to stage 2. The speed at which you are called to stage 2 will be determined by how well you do in exceeding the qualifying standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭theGIANT

Is there negative marking in these tests? If your stuck for time is it best to guess?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Yoop_

theGIANT wrote: »
    Is there negative marking in these tests? If your stuck for time is it best to guess?

I'm open to correction but as far as I know there's no negative marking.

No negative marking but it surely comes into the grading somewhere.

I have just completed the aptitude tests there now, I found the verbal reasoning a lot harder than the abstract test.

All out of my hands now so hears to wishful thinking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dutybelt

No negative marking but it surely comes into the grading somewhere.

I have just completed the aptitude tests there now, I found the verbal reasoning a lot harder than the abstract test.

All out of my hands now so hears to wishful thinking :)

I'm the other way around haha! I thought that the verbal reasoning test was easy enough while I found the abstract reasoning one rather challenging actually.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement

For each segment of the test there is a qualifying standard predetermined by the PAS. It makes no odds to them whether 100 or 1000 reach this standard. Those who reach the standard will be called forward to stage 2. The speed at which you are called to stage 2 will be determined by how well you do in exceeding the qualifying standard.

OK that makes sense, so is the qualifying standard the same every year or can I change, would it be low or high or how do they determine a score does anyone no? Thanks.

So we wait till the 14th now is it?

What exactly happens then does anybody know?

So we wait till the 14th now is it?

What exactly happens then does anybody know?

Those who have passed stage 1 are invited to stage 2 in Dublin, to take supervised aptitude tests like the ones we took online. But the main part of stage 2, afaik, is this: a report writing exercise and a job simulation test (like the one we took in part A)

Guys, did anyone see on the garda recruitment 2017 Facebook page that the results of stage 1 will be out by the 10th of July not the 14th, I might have some of my figure nails left. Ha ha ha.

Guys, did anyone see on the garda recruitment 2017 Facebook page that the results of stage 1 will be out by the 10th of July not the 14th, I might have some of my figure nails left. Ha ha ha.

Only a week and half so..... 😂 Hopefully we have them by then!

This waiting on results is soul destroying!!!

Does anyone know if everyone gets an email on results or is it only successful candidates that get a response?

Does anyone know if everyone gets an email on results or is it only successful candidates that get a response?

Everyone will get a reply either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Everyone will get an email regardless of passing or not

Guys could someone tell me what is negative marking? When I done the prep course with careers services they said that this year their will be negative marking. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Yoop_

Guys could someone tell me what is negative marking? When I done the prep course with careers services they said that this year their will be negative marking. Thanks.

With negative marking you lose points for every wrong answer. There's no set system though; it depends on the test/examiner/etc. so the points lost for each wrong answer could be anything from 1 onwards.

• Advertisement

There was no mention of negative marking on this campaign, but negative marking had been used on some previous campaigns. It would have been specified on the material if negative marking was being used.

kerryman85 wrote:
    There was no mention of negative marking on this campaign, but negative marking had been used on some previous campaigns. It would have been specified on the material if negative marking was being used.

OK thanks, so if theirs no negative marking is that a good thing. Is it better for us, how is everything marked then? Would it be a different marking scheme?

OK thanks, so if theirs no negative marking is that a good thing. Is it better for us, how is everything marked then? Would it be a different marking scheme?

I would consider no negative marking a good thing, they used in 2015 for the first recruitment campaign after the freeze was lifted. I would assume to knock down the 20k applicants more quickly. Like I said I didn't see it mentioned anywhere so I'm fairly sure we're ok for this campaign.

Fingers crossed we won't be kept waiting til Friday for the results. Best of luck everyone!

kerryman85 wrote: »
    Fingers crossed we won't be kept waiting til Friday for the results. Best of luck everyone!

Really hope not. Career services had it up from around the 10th but it was the 14th on the original candidate information.

Trish587 wrote: »
    Really hope not. Career services had it up from around the 10th but it was the 14th on the original candidate information.

I saw the same, but worst case scenario we'll know by the end of the week! What's another few days! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

I got an email yesterday asking for information that I had already submitted on the initial application. I can see this being a very slow process!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Good luck to all getting results

canonball5 wrote: »
    I got an email yesterday asking for information that I had already submitted on the initial application. I can see this being a very slow process!

Is that for this 2017 campaign results due out Friday? If so what kind of information did they request?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

Is that for this 2017 campaign results due out Friday? If so what kind of information did they request?

Yeah, I'm only at stage 1 too. It was the same form application form as we got initially, asking for degrees and personal information.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 RumHam

Anyone know where I can find the original candidate info with all the dates for the 2017 campaign?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

RumHam wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can find the original candidate info with all the dates for the 2017 campaign?

You should still be able to access the ''Advice for candidates'' handbook through the ''My Applications'' tab on your publicjobs profile :cool::cool::cool::cool:

RumHam wrote: »

In the Garda Trainee 2017 Notes for Candidates. Simply google it, and you'll find the pdf as the first result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Any word yet, anyone?

Any word yet, anyone?

Nothing for me anyways.. This waiting would add years to your life

:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Kerryman88

Anyone know what time we get the results today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Usually late enough in the day from 3:30 to 5:30 they send them out

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jaiire

Anybody heard anything? I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing I still haven't

Jaiire wrote: »
    Anybody heard anything? I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing I still haven't

No not a thing yet 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Gizmo94

No not a thing yet 🙈

Starting to lose hope for today

• Advertisement
Advertisement