Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€3 for a "99"

• 28-05-2017 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

OK 1st world problems I know but was at a show today and point blank refused to pay €3 for a very average looking 99 - plain cones were 2.50. I mean wtf
    Offered €5 for 3 small children cones and they weren't interested- moved on with the kids and found better value at a nearby stall. Am I stingy or is €3 for an average size cone with a bit of a flake madness?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

You'll always pay a higher price at a show. Vendors pay a high price to be there and have to recoup it somehow

Doesn't matter whether its in Ireland or any other country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

OK 1st world problems I know but was at a show today and point blank refused to pay €3 for a very average looking 99 - plain cones were 2.50. I mean wtf
    Offered €5 for 3 small children cones and they weren't interested- moved on with the kids and found better value at a nearby stall. Am I stingy or is €3 for an average size cone with a bit of a flake madness?

dont eat them , full of sugar and very bad for you , and apple will cost about 60 cents ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭worded

If all had free ecoli that would be a deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

BoatMad wrote: »
    dont eat them , full of sugar and very bad for you , and apple will cost about 60 cents ;)

We actually got a tub of strawberries instead with a scoop of ice-cream. It wasn't for me it was a treat for the kids. To be fair they know not to be asking for stuff willy nilly and we didn't eat there or anything. I understand vendors will be charged a cover but that was some mark up - or else ice cream are gone crazy expensive. I wouldn't know genuinely as I don't buy ice-creams that often

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Inflation.. can't expect them to cost 0.99 forever

Shows will always cost more, it was probably 3 quid for a can of Coke too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

CeilingFly wrote: »
    You'll always pay a higher price at a show. Vendors pay a high price to be there and have to recoup it somehow

Doesn't matter whether its in Ireland or any other country.

Don't give me that claptrap. Yes higher rates but so what, they're paying it to have thousands of people in passing trade with basically 0 alternative/competition

If they want to pay very little to park the ice cream van, park it up in an industrial park in Athlone in the middle of winter, and see how much passing trade you get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

the price of something should always be as high as the market will bear
    if people didnt pay it they would have to lower the price, if they cant make money at that price they will stop doing these shows,
    they have to make money too. long days, far away, high cost to be there = high price. basic business maths

We actually got a tub of strawberries instead with a scoop of ice-cream. It wasn't for me it was a treat for the kids. To be fair they know not to be asking for stuff willy nilly and we didn't eat there or anything. I understand vendors will be charged a cover but that was some mark up - or else ice cream are gone crazy expensive. I wouldn't know genuinely as I don't buy ice-creams that often

well on average , they are now close to 2 euros everywhere and often above that

Don't give me that claptrap. Yes higher rates but so what, they're paying it to have thousands of people in passing trade with basically 0 alternative/competition

If they want to pay very little to park the ice cream van, park it up in an industrial park in Athlone in the middle of winter, and see how much passing trade you get

its priced based on what the market can bear, at a closed venue , that will typically be higher . People obviously pay it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

BoatMad wrote: »
    its priced based on what the market can bear, at a closed venue , that will typically be higher . People obviously pay it .

Because they have no choice other than don't buy one.

Again, I get the cost is high but the huge number of customers offsets that

This upward pressure on prices to push as much as you can out of the market also goes by another word. Greed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Quite obviously you have never dealt with a venue or special event - yet somehow think you can make a judgement??? - Now THAT is claptrap.

An organiser of an event know its has a captive audience, know that a premium price can be charged (example = popcorn in cinemas) and that whilst some people will refuse to pay a premium, enough people will and therefore they charge vendors appropriately.

You would be talking upwards of €2,000 + vat for the smaller events ond musliple fo that for bigger events.

There's even a book explaining the economics of it called appropriately "Why Popcorn costs so much in the movies and other pricing puzzles" and it explains how the "value" of convenience is added to the cost.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2651596-why-popcorn-costs-so-much-at-the-movies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Am I stingy or is ?3 for an average size cone with a bit of a flake madness?
    Not stingy, sensible, and at least it you are not another moaning after having paid the price and convincing the seller its a good price to sell at -though I am not overly shocked at the price. I presume it was for 3 kids, then ?9 seems really stupid money, unless it was premium ice cream or with toppings or a decent waffle cone.

I see teddys do deals

1208868_710737585660166_163621242249270201_n.jpg?oh=38c1adb65298b98868321707fdf709c9&oe=59AFCE9F
    Inflation.. can't expect them to cost 0.99 forever
    The name is not from them costing 99. In my day they were 35p. As they were sold in newsagents and ice cream vans then from what I remember it usually would have been £1 when they were around that price point.

The name is not certain but the price is not even suggested

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/99_Flake#Name
    The origins of the name are uncertain. One claim is that it was coined in Portobello, Scotland when Stefano Arcari, who opened a shop in 1922 at 99 Portobello High Street, would break a large 'Flake" in half and stick it in an ice cream. The name came from the shop's address. A Cadbury representative took the idea to his company.[1][2]

Another possibility,[1] is that it was named by Italian ice-cream sellers (many from mountainous areas in the Veneto, Trentino, Bellunese, and Friuli) in honour of the final wave of conscripts from the First World War, born in 1899 and referred to as "i Ragazzi del 99" - the Boys of '99. They were held in such high esteem that some streets in Italy were named in honour of them. The chocolate flake may have reminded them of the Alpine Regiment's hat, with a long dark feather cocked at an angle.

Another claim to have invented the 99 is made by the Dunkerleys in Gorton, Manchester, with a sweet shop at 99 Wellington Street.[5]

The Cadbury website says that the reason behind the Flake being called a 99 has been "lost in the mists of time" although it also repeats an article from an old Cadbury works paper, which states the name came from the guard of the Italian king which consisted of 99 men and "subsequently anything really special or first class was known as 99."

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭touchwood

There is a place on bray seafront that charges .30c for sprinkles on the ice cream. Best I've heard in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

They should be 99c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭fixXxer

rubadub wrote: »

I see teddys do deals

Teddys is the past my friend.

Visit Scrumdiddlys instead (if you can manage the queue) and for a €5 you get a pint of ice cream with the confectionary of your choice mixed in. I'm partial to a Toffee Crisp or Fererro Roche myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,453 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

If it was €3 in a Spar/Centra/service station etc. then that's a rip-off in my opinion. But at a show/event, I'm not too surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

Not at a show, no. I'd usually get large 99s from centra/supervalu usually very generous sizes, lovely and creamy and less than €2. You might get 2 large 99s and a large plain for about €5. But I have paid more than 3 quid at a family friendly summer show around €3 from an ice cream vendor (of which there were lots to choose from, all around the same price) from a machine (so not scoops) and it wasn't at all great and a measly amount. Wouldn't do so again made an exception for the day that was in it.

You probably got a better deal with the strawberries and ice cream scoop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

fixxxer wrote: »
    Teddys is the past my friend.

Visit Scrumdiddlys instead (if you can manage the queue) and for a €5 you get a pint of ice cream with the confectionary of your choice mixed in. I'm partial to a Toffee Crisp or Fererro Roche myself.

Teddys is the past? I have news for you, I believe Scrumdiddlys IS Teddys. Another branch and brand they opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

A bar of chocolate costs more than €1 now, why would a 99 cost less???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

snowflaker wrote: »
    A bar of chocolate costs more than €1 now, why would a 99 cost less???

Because they come unwrapped in a box of 144 and only cost around €25 a box.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Because they come unwrapped in a box of 144 and only cost around €25 a box.

Before VAT. Also ice-cream and cone required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

So the places that are selling them for €2 aren't even breaking even I suppose.
    Also, they claim the VAT back on the purchase of the box?

To be fair, 50c extra isn't a rip off, and it was at a show.

Advertisement