Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling Original Artwork Prints / Egyptian Crafts in Ireland

Options
  • 28-05-2017 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys, I'm Irish and living in Egypt for a number of years and have never lost the desire to return home. I am looking into how I can make that transition especially that I've been away so long. As well as looking for 'real jobs' I wanted to look into the prospect of selling prints of my artwork on Etsy and the like and craftmarkets etc. I also want to look into the market for home accessories to see about selling some Egyptian crafts. There is some beautiful stuff here and I have good contacts for producers (jewelry, textiles, lighting, ceramics etc) but not sure what the market is like and whether it would be of interest or at all viable. Would really welcome your thoughts and perspective 'on the ground' so to speak :)  Many thanks indeed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Forget making a living from your own artwork (I know I have not seen it, it does not matter how good it is.) Art is not selling at the moment, the market has nor recovered since 2007's crash. Some 'copy' work is being imported from China / Chinese artists at prices that would be tough to compete with on a quality/value basis. I've no idea about the craft market, I'm aware of some Egyptian imports in Ireland - mainly furniture, both reproduction and semi-antique, and some metalwork. Brought in by the containerload, purchased mainly in Alexandria. Most are sold at auctions, not for great prices. I think your main issue to overcome will be the financial viabilityof storing product here, stockturn and getting a suitable distributor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Some beautiful stuff in Egypt, but it always looks great in local surroundings, but it rarely suits the taste of a totally different country.

As for selling your own - Merrion Square art market will give you a good insight into the marketability of your art and it might be a nice sideline at the weekend to a main job http://www.merrionart.com/

Advertisement