Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New TT bike advice needed

Options
  • 29-05-2017 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm contemplating getting a TT bike for the first time. It will be used for Triathlons mainly.

I've been using a Planet x pro carbon with clips on bars and a TT specific saddle for the last 2 years and average about 35 kph over a 40k course.

So it's the 40th coming up and i'm looking for a TT bike that will give me bang for buck. Lets say under €2'000, i'm not going to get hung up on the groupset as i don't see it as an issue neither the wheels as i've a good set i can swap if needed.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Make sure it fits. TT bikes are all about fit. You will be more aero on a 1000 euro bike that fits than a 5000 euro bike that doesn't. Some fitters do pre-fits, think retul are one of the main brands. Bike fit studio and a lad based in cyclesuperstore use this system. I'm sure there are different systems but this is just the one I know. Personally I'd avoid being fitted in a shop by a shop, from my experience they just try to sell you what they have rather than what fits. Bike fit studio is my recommendation, they don't sell bikes and just find the one that will fit best. You can use your measurements you get at it then to set up the bike. It's not cheap but it will mean you buy a bike that suits, huge number of people out there on bikes that don't fit and may as well be on road bikes.

I think your right about groupset and wheels. Most tt bikes come with basic wheels anyway and you can replace the groupset as you go.

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/triathlon/speedmax/speedmax-cf-8-0.html

A bit over budget, but what would a recommendation on boards be if it was within budget! Based on their top of the range frameset but a bit more simple. Integrated stems and bars look great but are a pain to work on and if they break are a pain to replace and fix.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/bikes-trinity-advanced

Not hugely common but a good bike too.

Felt B series are nice too, some of the boardmans are pretty good as well.

Your 2000 budget looks just a little low for new, most TT bikes start around mid 2000's. Other than that best bet is second hand, small market but generally good savings. Probably not the best time to be looking, come September/October people will start looking to upgrade and you can pick up a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I would be looking at myself, so long sleeve skin suit and a new aero helmet.

Back in my twenties I was doing 56 minutes for a 40km test with an aero helmet with visor and ls skinsuit with tri bars on a steel bike with no aero wheels.

Bike is only 15% of the solution, cheaper and more cost effective to tune yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Def a low return on time saved for cost with a new bike but if it's for triathlon then a skin suit won't really work. Too restrictive to swim and run in, the time you will save wearing it on the bike would be more than lost getting it on and off after the swim and before the run. Tri set up TT bike will save the legs a little for running too. But definitely a new bike is down the list after aero wheels and helmet.

Advertisement