Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigrant returning home after 2 years - insurance question

Options
  • 29-05-2017 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Currently living abroad and a topic of conversation among the Irish diaspora is the prospect of being gouged for car insurance on return. My 2 year anniversary of departure is coming up, is there a knack whereby I can become insured as a named driver in a family members car thereby preserving my previous no claims bonus record? I would still be living abroad but with intention of returning after this 2 year insurance limit. Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 JtByrne

You can't build up a no claims with named driver experience, it has to be a policy in your own name. So you'll still lose your no claims bonus even if you are a named driver on your parents policy.

The Irish times had an article about it this week
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/how-a-reader-s-car-insurance-jumped-from-373-to-3-673-1.3094972

• Registered Users Posts: 8 fangs

So in theory, I could buy a banger, park it up and take out insurance in my own name in that before the two years is up?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,791 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

fangs wrote: »
    So in theory, I could buy a banger, park it up and take out insurance in my own name in that before the two years is up?

In theory yes. Problem now is though that they are very strict on insuring older cars from 12-15 years, some won't cover at all, some will insist on proof of NCT and motor tax, the car will also need to be in your name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

NUTLEY BOY wrote:
    High Court judgment link

fangs wrote:

You would need to make an honest declaration about your residency, mileage, occupation etc

Advertisement