Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

raw onions/scallions

Options
  • 29-05-2017 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

my husband can't eat raw as it effects his tummy, i read somewhere that you can take the string out of them by soaking, has anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I've heard of that, but never tried it. My gran used to slice or chop them very finely, sprinkle some salt on them and leave them for a few minutes. They'd be soft as cooked afterwards, kept their taste but lost their bite entirely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If you soak it for even a few minutes in a small amount of anything acidic the sting goes out of it completely. I usually use lemon juice or any type of vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

If you soak it for even a few minutes in a small amount of anything acidic the sting goes out of it completely. I usually use lemon juice or any type of vinegar.

Brilliant, thanks to you both!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This. Mrs Beer doesn't like that raw onion taste at all. Onions nearly always get a bit of a marinading in lemon/lime juice for any salsa type thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Its not the taste my husband does not like it's the fact that the raw ones give him tummy gripes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

I believe if you pop them in ice water for a while it takes that harshness from them and they're more suitable fir use in salads/burger topping etc.

I like that lemon juice tip though.

Advertisement