Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist down: Mayo 29 May 2017

Options
  • 29-05-2017 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

http://irishcycle.com/2017/05/29/man-airlifted-with-critical-injuries-after-car-and-bicycle-collision-in-co-mayo/
    A man who was cycling a bicycle was airlifted to hospital yesterday afternoon after a collision with a car driver on the main road between Ballina and Killala in Co Mayo.

Sergeant Margaret Flanagan of the garda press office said: “A road traffic collision occurred at 16.45 on the R134 at Rathroeen. A pedal cyclist was in collision with a car and was taken via air ambulance to Mayo University Hospital with critical injuries. The matter is under investigation.”

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do the gardai have some sort of style guide where they usually refer to the cyclist in a way which makes it sound like they were the one to crash into the other vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

In fairness that statement is rather neutral.

Cyclist collided with car Vs Car collided with cyclist - both implies fault on the former.

Saying X was involved in a collision with Y is a statement of fact with no fault implied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

It used to be the way that you had to write that an x and a y were involved in a collision.

But that was in the days of seven-year apprenticeships to journalism with concurrent professional courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Poor guy, hope he makes a recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

do the gardai have some sort of style guide where they usually refer to the cyclist in a way which makes it sound like they were the one to crash into the other vehicle?
    Grassey wrote: »
    In fairness that statement is rather neutral.

Cyclist collided with car Vs Car collided with cyclist - both implies fault on the former.

Saying X was involved in a collision with Y is a statement of fact with no fault implied.
    Chuchote wrote: »
    It used to be the way that you had to write that an x and a y were involved in a collision.

But that was in the days of seven-year apprenticeships to journalism with concurrent professional courses.

Interesting that Sticky Bottle seem to be reversing the trend, by using partisan language that sides against the motorist, while in the next breath conceding that fault/blame is uncertain (though their spelling of the word "collision" reveals the standard of "reporting" I feel we can expect from them:
    A cyclist is critically ill in hospital after suffering serious injuries in a collission in Co Mayo.

The incident occurred on Sunday afternoon at about 4.45pm on the R134, the road between Ballina and Killala.

A motorist driving a car collided with the injured man, who was knocked off his bike.

The exact cause of the collission is not yet known but is under investigation by the Garda.

• Advertisement

I don't really want to discuss this on a thread about a very sick man. I'll talk about it over in J&K's Party Bus maybe?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've just deleted a post that was completely inappropriate given we are talking about someone who has been critically injured.

Can I also ask posters to drop the comments about terminology used when reporting these incidents. It seems to crop up every time someone starts one of these threads and we just go over the same ground again and again

Any questions PM me

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sprite0

Sad news. The cyclist involved in this collision passed away last night. RIP.

Terrible news. The tenth person killed on a bike on the roads of Ireland in five months. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Terrible :( I didn't see anything in the news about it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Fcuk.
    R.I.P.
    This is too much now, really too much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

jon1981 wrote: »
    on irishcycle.com:
    http://irishcycle.com/2017/05/31/man-confirmed-dead-after-cycling-collision-on-sunday/

Was also mentioned on the bulletin on Morning Ireland on RTE radio 1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

And we are only halfway through the year :(

And we are only halfway through the year :(

40% through the year, I think? (Arithmetic not my thing, though…)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Chuchote wrote: »
    The tenth person killed on a bike on the roads of Ireland in five months. RIP

Terrible alright. It's the ninth person though. One of the ones that was counted previously wasn't cycling at the time, so he's gone into the pedestrian statistics, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Terrible alright. It's the ninth person though. One of the ones that was counted previously wasn't cycling at the time, so he's gone into the pedestrian statistics, I think.

correct, the guy that died on james st in Dublin.

RIP to this man and the lady in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Really awful news again. RIP to both of these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sprite0

The human face of the latest statistic
    https://m.facebook.com/Ballina-Cycling-Club-401900079894742/

Advertisement