Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belly band - only for back pain or also for support on front?

Options
  • 29-05-2017 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

I am 31 weeks with my second baby and I can tell this time around it all feels heavier and "lower" with my belly. I saw a woman wear a belly band a few days ago and wonder if that may help. Is it mostly for back pain or also to push the belly up on the front for extra support? Is that even advisable to hold it up like this on the front? I am having troubles to get up from chairs/toilet/bed and would love anything to help me. 
    I read this on a website on belly bands - "[font=ProximaNova, -apple-system, system-ui, BlinkMacSystemFont, "Segoe UI", Roboto, "Helvetica Neue", Arial, sans-serif]Wear a belly band or support garment for no more than two to three hours at a time to prevent over dependency." Would I need to check with my doctor before buying one?[/font]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

sareer wrote: »
    I am 31 weeks with my second baby and I can tell this time around it all feels heavier and "lower" with my belly. I saw a woman wear a belly band a few days ago and wonder if that may help. Is it mostly for back pain or also to push the belly up on the front for extra support? Is that even advisable to hold it up like this on the front? I am having troubles to get up from chairs/toilet/bed and would love anything to help me. 
    I read this on a website on belly bands - "[font=ProximaNova, -apple-system, system-ui, BlinkMacSystemFont, "Segoe UI", Roboto, "Helvetica Neue", Arial, sans-serif]Wear a belly band or support garment for no more than two to three hours at a time to prevent over dependency." Would I need to check with my doctor before buying one?[/font]

I'm pregnant with my second as well. I used a support band for most of my second trimester both last time and this. I wear it when I'm working, for the full 8 hours I'm in. By the start of the third trimester last time, I had moved to a support belt (bought in chemists) because the band wasn't doing enough for me. The band does help a bit with helping the bump but the belt was much better. I'm not at the stage yet of needing the belt but I have it on standby!!! The one I bought is linked below, I just asked in my local pharmacy and they ordered one for me. I didn't look online as I hadn't a clue what I was looking for :pac:

https://www.flemingmedical.ie/Medicare-Pregnancy-Support-Belt-Medium

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

It might be worth getting a referral to your local physio service. Some of them provide the belts, but at the very least, they will recommend which belt you should have.
    They'll also give you an exercise program to help strengthen muscle groups around the area that maybe weak, tight, etc!

Advertisement