Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computex 2017

Options
  • 29-05-2017 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭

Figured this might be handy for new stuff over the next few days.

First up: ASUS announcing a bunch of new laptops (though most of them won't be available for a while).

Ananadtech live blog
    Windows Central coverage

ZenBook Flip S
    • 13.3", 4K display
    • 10.9mm thick, 1.1Kg
    • Up to i7 U, 16GB, 1TB PCIE SSD
    • 39Wh battery, 11.5 hours run time
    • Harmon Carton speakers
    • Starts at $1,099

ZenBook 3 Deluxe
    • 14" display in a 13" chassis (a-la XPS line)
    • 12.9mm thick, 1.1Kg
    • Up to i7 U, 16GB, 1TB PCIE SSD
    • Starts at $1,199

ZenBook 3 Pro
    • 15.6", 4K display
    • 18.9mm thick, 1.8Kg
    • Up to i7, 16GB, 1TB PCIE SSD, 1050 Ti
    • 73Wh battery, 14 hours run time, with fast-charge (60% in 49 minutes)
    • Quad Harmon Carton speakers
    • Starts at $1,299

VivoBook S
    • 15.6" display (unknown resolution)
    • 17.9mm thick, 1.5Kg
    • Up to i7 U, 16GB, 512GB SSD + 1TB HDD, 940MX
    • Starts at $499

VivoBook Pro
    • 15.6", 4K display
    • 19.2mm thick, 2.2Kg
    • Up to i7 H, 16GB, Optane, 512GB SSD + 2TB HDD, 1050
    • Starts at $799

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Next! Intel showing of X299 stuff!

https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/30/intel-core-i9-extreme/

Full table below, but the notable ones are:

7980XE - 18C/36T - $1,999
    7900X - 10C/20T - $999

So the 18 core thing is stupid money. Depending on Naples (don't feel like calling them by the *shudder* other name yet), it might be ok value, but I doubt it. Probably only for those looking for best performance density, and screw money.

It's interesting to see what competition does though. Top end part goes from 10 cores to 18, and their 10 core part goes from $1,800 to $1,000. Apparently driven by an "unexpected demand for our 10 core part". :rolleyes:

Intel+x+series+family.jpg

Gamers Nexus coverage:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Holy crap balls on the TDPs. The 7820X looks interesting. After that, it's a small enough market anyway so to have this many sku's is going to be interesting and it depend on the clock speed to see how they compare to Xeon builds

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Once again, Intel replacing a consumer socket in only 2 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

2 thousand dollars so at least €2300 here then for intels 18-36 while AMD's 16-32 will be priced under €1000. Probably similar performance once clock speeds are taken into account.

Yeah right intel. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I dunno if AMD's would be that cheap. Yes an 1800X is €600, and economics of scale come into it, but accounting for the extra compatibility and reliability testing, voltage constraints... I don't see it. I don't think it'll be much about €1,000 (€1,2-300), but €999? Nah. Fingers crossed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

EVGA Guarantees Its GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N Edition Is Capable Of 2,025MHz OC Speeds

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/evga-1080-ti-kingpin-edition-overclock,34551.html

Good idea with the power connectors on the other side of the card too, easier to hide the power cables.

1800x is €480. I don't think AMD will do the gouging that intel do and surely they will have lower core variants to improve their yields for cpus with some defective cores. I'd be surprised to see it at much more than €1000. Maybe $999 so about €1100 here.

Wow, I had no idea it was that cheap. Figured it'd be the usual 1$=€1.1 thing. Nice to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

will amd be keeping the x399 socket for a good while? similar to their plans for am4? I might look into upgrading to threadripper and i presume its smaller/cheaper sku's if so. Cant see intel selling many of those i9's if amd do get 16c/32t threadripper at €1000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Just did a little reading from Amd's event last night.
    RX Vega is not launching until SIGGRAPH at the end of july :(
    No prices yet either.

The Vega Frontier Edition is to be relaeased on the 27th which is to be aimed at the professional market.

They are not doing themselves any favours imo not giving some benches or price for Rx Vega.The extra 2 month wait will cost them some customer imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

"Wait for Vega" no longer applies IMHO

Yup, it's unfortunate.

That said, it's not like most people who were thinking of going with a 10 series card haven't already. Pascal is well on its way out at this point, so probably not much point in picking up an NVIDIA card either if you've waited this long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

AMD really fell asleep at the wheel. They had an opportunity but they blew it.

Given the pace at which their CPU tech has been moving, and the fact that their GPU presence is far worse, you can be sure they didn't want or let this happen. Very easy to say they blew it from the outside. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

HBM 2 is to blame. It is almost harder to produce than GDDR5.

Surely they could have forged ahead with GDDR in the interim. It seems they have had the GPU itself ready for months but are being held back by HBM2. Probably due to the performance and power figures they want to hit but it would still be better to have something at the high end than nothing.

I dunno. Even by AMD's standards, they've been hyping Vega for ages. They might not want to lose the momentum they've built up with Ryzen with a disappointing launch.

But then I know **** all about business, so what do I know? :P

In other news:

ASRock Threadripper boards!

I love the gear on that ASRock Taichi motherboard, it looks savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

AMD really fell asleep at the wheel. They had an opportunity but they blew it.

Are you trolling us? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Are you trolling us? :confused:

as far their gpu's id agree, they have left it far too late for vega.

Cpu wise though they are kicking some serious ass

as far their gpu's id agree, they have left it far too late for vega.

Cpu wise though they are kicking some serious ass

I agree. I reckon it will not beat a 1080Ti. (And I will not buy a Nvidia GPU) And when they do release Vega, Nvidia will just bring out a even better GPU. Which I know they have already developed but not released.

Hopefully AMD make a nice few quid in revenue from their Ryzen, Epyc and threadripper and also APU's and can pour some money into developing GPU's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I agree. I reckon it will not beat a 1080Ti. (And I will not buy a Nvidia GPU) And when they do release Vega, Nvidia will just bring out a even better GPU. Which I know they have already developed but not released.

Hopefully AMD make a nice few quid in revenue from their Ryzen, Epyc and threadripper and also APU's and can pour some money into developing GPU's.

I don't see anything in AMD's recent business practices that would suggest they're intending for VEGA to beat the 1080ti. I'd expect it to be roughly on a par with it for about 60% of the price.

I'd imagine the most important thing for them is that Ryzen / Vega combos become the #1 choice for mid-range builds, and the common sense choice for top end builds.

That is to say, you may get a 5% performance boost from the top Intel / Nvidia combo, but you will pay a 50-100% premium for the privilege.

Advertisement