Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know a Mahon Falls route? (Comeraghs)

Options
  • 29-05-2017 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I'm going down to Dungarvan at the weekend with a few friends and we thought we'd take in a Comeragh hike. I remember people climbing along Mahon falls while I was there and assumed there must be a trail at the top of it to follow. Anyone know anything about this? We'd like a good hike of about 4 or 5 hours if possible and if there was a climb in the middle of it better still.

Ideally we want to park in that Mahon Falls carpark as I'd like to show everyone the magic road.

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows a route.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdamB

Hi, just to the south west of Mahon Falls is Coumshingaun Lough which has a 4-5hr loop and boasts amazing views(google for pics) and requires a bit of climbing higher up. This loop sounds like it may suit you and you could always take a spin up/down the magic road after, and take a leisurely stroll up to the falls to warm down after your hike. Keep an eye on the weather. Either way it's a beautiful part of the country as is Dungarvan. Enjoy.

http://www.enchantingireland.com/Planning-Ireland-Vacation/Hiking-Tour-Map-Coumshingaun-Loop.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

AdamB wrote: »
    Hi, just to the south west of Mahon Falls is Coumshingaun Lough which has a 4-5hr loop and boasts amazing views(google for pics) and requires a bit of climbing higher up. This loop sounds like it may suit you and you could always take a spin up/down the magic road after, and take a leisurely stroll up to the falls to warm down after your hike. Keep an eye on the weather. Either way it's a beautiful part of the country as is Dungarvan. Enjoy.

http://www.enchantingireland.com/Planning-Ireland-Vacation/Hiking-Tour-Map-Coumshingaun-Loop.aspx

Thanks - I actually did that one last year and it is a lovely walk. So I said I'd try a different one this year. I heard of a Cuam Tay walk or something like that - you can climb up alongside the waterfall and do a circuit after it. It's supposed to take around 4 hours which usually means it'll take 3-3 and a half, but that could be a really nice hike.

I'll try googling again for another guide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Just a suggestion, but have you tried any walks in from the Nire Valley? It's phenomenal at this time of year. Either way you won't be stuck in the Comeraghs, there's an awful lot to go at.

If you're set on Coum Mahon you could park up in the first parking area before the main large car park (coming from Waterford) and head for spot height 379, from there make your way up the obvious rocky ridge toward Knockaunapeebra. From that top you can loop round the back of the falls and make your way down Comeragh Mountain itself back toward the car park. Be a few hours in it.

There is a sheep trail along the Eastern side of Coum Mahon alright, it sticks close enough to the cliffs. The Western side has a wider more defined trail that wanders close and back from the cliff.

If you're heading for Coum Tay stop off in Ned Currans cottage for a sheltered spot for lunch. It's the obvious ruin in the valley. Mind the lake though, it can get pretty sinky near it depending on the recent weather and I can see someone getting sucked in to the bog one day on a permanent basis. There's plenty of steep gullies and ridges up the back wall of the Coum Tay to gain the plateau. From there it's a short trip North to view Coumfea and Coumalocha.

Note that Coumshingaun is North East of Mahon falls rather than South West.

Have fun.

Advertisement