Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaf Damage by insects?

Options
  • 29-05-2017 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi all, have a beautiful flower in a pot outside the last few months, however in the last 2 weeks have noticed the leaves have been severely eaten. See attachment. How can i prevent this?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you sure it's insects and not slugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭briancarr82

have no idea, could be either i suppose, will i just put slug pellets at bottom of stem? no other pots have been effected

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Earwigs are very partial to dahlias too, though the flowers have not been affected. Is there a snail in the pot on the right hand side? You can usually tell where slugs/snails have been by the trails they leave. Try some beer in a jamjar beside the plant - though not if you have young children!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭briancarr82

have thrown down the slug pellets in all pots so hopefully that solves the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

The only thing I've really seen to damage dahlias are snails and slugs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement