Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree's are wrecking my fence and car!!

Options
  • 29-05-2017 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

I just moved into a lovely 3 bed detached….All going well apart from some tress at the side of the driveway!!
    They blow down a crazy amount off little green buds that smudge when you try brush or wash them off…that’s ok I can deal with that but when it rains the tree’s seem to release SAP or something sticky which cover the entire car. It was so bad that when I tried to use the wipers the entire front windscreen became smeared with this sticky crap.

Is there anything that can be done? The tree’s sit on the grounds of a school but are growing over my driveway and damaging my fence panels?  

I am not sure of the tree species but I can supply pictures later on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

Probably elm trees, with honeydew from the aphids that are on the tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Could you contact the school and ask them to trim them?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agree its aphids, but it could be any one of several types of trees - lime is one of the worst culprits. I don't think there is any solution beyond washing it off or parking somewhere else while the aphids are on the trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Your entitled to trim off any branches that overhang your property, at your own expense and you must return trimmings to the owner if asked.

Asking them might work but I don't believe you can compel them to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

I did send a mail to the school, awaiting a response. 

According to my neighbor the estate is still under the control of a Management Agency of some sort. He will get those details for me and I presume they have to keep the estate in good order.

Failing all that I could build a lean-to and wash the aphids back onto the school property when the build up 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Car cover? Quicker and easier than building a lean-to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Car cover? Quicker and easier than building a lean-to.
    I was thinking that....then when the missus needs the car guess who will have to remove the cover haha
    I wouldn't mind but the car was professionally waxed and polished on to find it sticky and covered in green buds the next morning

Advertisement