Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on bungalow

Options
  • 29-05-2017 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

We are looking at buying a house in Dublin. We had really just considered a regular two/three storey house. On our hunt we have come across a nice bungalow which ticks a lot of boxes. I have never lived in one and am just wondering are there any negatives that are not obvious, when compared to a 'normal' house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Sleeping on the ground floor is weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Bungalows are future proof in relation to mobility issues in later life. They are also less problematic as any leaks from upstairs bathrooms etc don't damage ceilings.

If they're on land they are easy to extend. Lots of pros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭EmoCourt

Heat rises, so a two story will have the heat from the ground floor rising up into the bedrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Easier to insulate, future proof when older easier to extend no noisey stairs kids launching up the stairs in the evenings. Saver for toddlers as no upstairs no requirement for gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Sausage dog

You might be more wary of leaving windows open at night due to them being on the ground floor. Maintenance of a bungalow is easier with walls, gutters & windows etc. within easier reach for cleaning & painting. The possibility of extending by converting your attic may also make extending a bungalow a cheaper option, depending on the type of attic space you have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

Less toilets possibly - we are considering moving from a 2-storey to a bungalow. Currently have main upstairs wc, ensuite and downstairs wc. Bungalow will just have ensuite and main wc.
    Less wasted money on scaffolding too when it comes to renovations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I spend a lot of time in Perth Australia where bungalows are the norm. My relatives think I am very posh in a two storey house! The negative with a bungalow is that it doesn't really work with different age groups...my aunt lives with my elderly nana and also has young children so if she has friends over one group or another has to be segregated.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

I was thinking about the insulation issue. Also there does seem to be a good opportunity for a large attic conversion although placement of a stair case might be tricky.

We have three kids and at the moment when you put them to bed they are away from sitting room. I'm wondering do you mean more noise sleeping on the same level.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

More ground floor windows present more access opportunities.
    Make sure the burgular alarm is in good condition and up to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

You could get yourself an irobot and your entire floor space would be vacuumed while your out of the house

• Advertisement
Advertisement