Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coombe Semi-Private or Public

Options
  • 29-05-2017 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

I am trying to decide between semi-Private or Public in the Coombe. I understand that Semi-P will cost me approx €1,000 so I'm trying to decide if it's worth it.

Does anyone know the approximate wait times for the public clinic versus those for semi-private?

Also, is it possible to choose the day that you attend on either option? I have a preference for Thursdays or Fridays.

Finally, for semi-private, can you choose your consultant/team that you would like to attend?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Any one I know who did semi p thought it was a waste. I would either go fully private or public. You'll need to check when the clinics are, my consultant always had her clinics on a Wednesday afternoon. There's also midwife clinics which some people love but weren't for me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Im going Private but with combined care with one of the consultants at the Coombe. Dr Michael O'Connell is mine and he does his clinic on Mondays and Wednesdays.

I think it's a case of ringing the list of consultants and get their prices and clinic days. I was lucky that i had only called 2 of them and then got Michael's lovely secretary who basically was so nice and helpful that i decided to go with him.

The combined care option is same as private but slightly cheaper as you share some of the appts with your own GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭BOB2017

I'm public in the Coombe, the longest wait time was the booking in appointment and dating scan - I was waiting about half an hour/45 mins to see the midwife but in the meantime they did my bloods & had checked urine & weight so it didn't feel all that long. They give everyone an appointment time and you'll be seen fairly close to it so the wait times aren't bad at all and apparently if you're in early in the day you'll be out in no time.

My consultant (who I haven't met but I've only been in once so far after the booking appointment) has her clinic on Wednesdays, my booking appointment was also on a Wednesday. Maybe call the outpatients in the Coombe and ask about Thursday/Friday clinics they may be able to facilitate it.

I think if you're semi-p you have to pay for scans and things that are covered if you're public, but I'm not sure. I've paid for nothing so far other than the whooping cough vaccine with my GP - there are ante-natal, physiotherapy, breastfeeding and hypnobirthing classes in the Coombe all covered under the public system although you have to book early as they fill up quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

Thanks for your replies. I will give the coombe a ring tomorrow to see what can be done about clinics on certain days.

Advertisement