Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Burning SEO Questions?

Options
  • 29-05-2017 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am thinking of creating a few 'how-to' videos on the topic of SEO, or videos that answer particular SEO questions; for example 'how do I do keyword research', or 'how can I get more SEO traffic quickly', etc.

The videos will be around 10-15 minutes long, so nothing too intense :)

What questions might folks on here have, and I will look to answer them? I enjoy doing these and there is no goal other than providing value and hopefully getting some YouTube subscribers! I am not taking on any new clients at present.

Look forward to your suggestions! Also feel free to PM your topics / ideas if you prefer!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

There's two specific areas I can think of where the information is fairly thin. Got my head around them eventually but it could have been much easier.

1) canonicalisation and canonical tags. When would you use it. How the lack of it can hurt an e-commerce site particularly where products appear in multiple categories. How you would implement it.

2) implementing hreflang tags. Particularly, why they're important to multi-domain sites with shared content and/or product catalogs. How you would implement them.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Digital_Guy

Graham wrote: »
    There's two specific areas I can think of where the information is fairly thin. Got my head around them eventually but it could have been much easier.

1) canonicalisation and canonical tags. When would you use it. How the lack of it can hurt an e-commerce site particularly where products appear in multiple categories. How you would implement it.

2) implementing hreflang tags. Particularly, why they're important to multi-domain sites with shared content and/or product catalogs. How you would implement them.

Thanks Graham! Yep, those two can be complex. As you say you've figured them out, but the short answer on when to use a canonical is when you have more than one URL with the same content, and you want to signal to Google that x URL is the 'official' one.

Otherwise it can make it harder for Google and other engines to know which one is the canonical, and the page you want to have up there ranking is not the one that gets ranked. Not ideal so that's where canonicals come in.

Hreflang - I have some experience with these in terms of reviewing them for a site with around 40 subdomains. All with pretty much the same content / pages, but targeting different countries and languages. What you don't want there is someone in Australia getting the US page when there is a perfectly good Australian site, hence why Hreflang was introduced.

I didn't mention, but I am looking for topics that are a bit more 'mainstream'; i.e. more applicable to the majority of business or site owners. So I am thinking more along the lines of the following (might jog some ideas for people too):

-How to get more traffic from Google without adding more content or getting more links

-How to optimise your title tags

-How to do keyword research the smart way

-How to use Google Search Console to get more traffic

-How to choose your blog topics

-Common SEO mistakes to avoid

-How to achieve page 0 on Google with featured snippets (better than position 1 on Google!)

-Ecommerce SEO tips :)

-How long does SEO 'take to work'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

How to break into the 7 pack with more info on the newer 3 and 5 packs.
    -How to get more traffic from Google without adding more content or getting more links
    and why its a poor man's solution ie. why you really should do at least some content work.

tricky D wrote: »
    How to break into the 7 pack with more info on the newer 3 and 5 packs.
    and why its a poor man's solution ie. why you really should do at least some content work.

A given you should do content and indeed will generally have to do content, but the above would describe a way to get more traffic from your existing rankings :)

Finished recording a video on how to choose your target keywords for SEO (to add to your website, include in your blog posts, site content, etc).

It gives you a simple three-step process for doing keyword research and choosing your keywords.

For anyone interested, you can 'thank' this post and I'll PM you the link, if that's ok (again it's free advice, no promos).

It's my first video so you'll have to go easy :)

• Advertisement

Thank you Hollister! Sent you the PM.

Thanks Graham and Tricky D - sent you the link!

And thanks Odeamarcas :)

Sent additional PMs, thanks for the interest! Will also answer any and all SEO questions in the comments on the vid - free mini-consultancy for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

I would be interested to know, purely from an SEM/SEO point of view, what effect Top Level and Second Level domain names have. For example, will a .ie increase my rankings, will my SLD increase my ranking; again purely technical based?

Also, expired domains- if I purchase one which was popular, can I utilise any search engine goodwill it has generated?

• Advertisement

Moomat wrote: »
    I would be interested to know, purely from an SEM/SEO point of view, what effect Top Level and Second Level domain names have. For example, will a .ie increase my rankings, will my SLD increase my ranking; again purely technical based?

Also, expired domains- if I purchase one which was popular, can I utilise any search engine goodwill it has generated?

Thanks for the suggestions Moomant, those are great ones!

When you say top level and second level, can you give some examples? Or since you mention .ie, do you mean gTLDs vs ccTLDs? An example there would be example.com versus example.ie, and which one you should choose

Expired domains is a great topic too, can cover that also and what you should look for there..

Thanks for the suggestions Moomant, those are great ones!

When you say top level and second level, can you give some examples? Or since you mention .ie, do you mean gTLDs vs ccTLDs? An example there would be example.com versus example.ie, and which one you should choose

Expired domains is a great topic too, can cover that also and what you should look for there..

Thanks!

For example- I am considering setting up a motorhome and campervan news type website. www.motorhomeandcampervannews.whatever is quite the mouthful but perhaps close to the type of search a user may make. Would going with something like www.bedandwheels.whatever have any detrimental effect on my rankings?

If the above website was aimed at an international audience, would a .ie be detrimental to rankings, or vice versa, a .com be detrimental to a website aimed at Irish users?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Finished recording a video on how to choose your target keywords for SEO (to add to your website, include in your blog posts, site content, etc).

It gives you a simple three-step process for doing keyword research and choosing your keywords.

For anyone interested, you can 'thank' this post and I'll PM you the link, if that's ok (again it's free advice, no promos).

Just thanked your post, would appreciate seeing that video. Cheers

pconn062 wrote: »
    Just thanked your post, would appreciate seeing that video. Cheers

Thanks, PM sent!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭odeamarcas

Hi Digital Guy, given the importance of links, have you anything to share on how to go about legitimately building a portfolio?

Hi all!

So seeing as there is a fair bit of interest here, plenty of questions and ideas for videos coming to me, I thought I'd set up a Facebook group, as it'll be a lot easier than going back and forth on posts and PMs, etc.

It also means we can discuss the topics more easily, ask questions and share ideas. If you'd like to join the closed group (as in posts are not visible to your FB friends), just drop me a PM and I'll send you the link!

odeamarcas wrote: »
    Hi Digital Guy, given the importance of links, have you anything to share on how to go about legitimately building a portfolio?

Hey odeamarcas, now that is a HUGE topic! I will do a video on it though. It also is massively dependent on your niche and industry. So for example, getting links in the education sector is going to be way easier than if you are in the finance / credit / loans area. Generally speaking the more competitive the niche, the harder it is - but it definitely varies.

At a fundamental level you need to create content and pages that are worth linking to. Nobody wants to link to your product page and people won't go out of their way to help you make money, needless to say, but they *will* link to and share your content, pages and website if it is something that is of value to them. That can be a blog post, a video, a podcast, a useful resource on your site, etc.

You can also do outreach - asking people for links. Again you need the right content and a reason for them to link to you.

Will do a video anyway and post it in my FB group - think I much prefer it to writing out long posts! :)

Moomat wrote: »
    Thanks!

For example- I am considering setting up a motorhome and campervan news type website. www.motorhomeandcampervannews.whatever is quite the mouthful but perhaps close to the type of search a user may make. Would going with something like www.bedandwheels.whatever have any detrimental effect on my rankings?

If the above website was aimed at an international audience, would a .ie be detrimental to rankings, or vice versa, a .com be detrimental to a website aimed at Irish users?

Cool, got you there - will do a video as soon as I can!

Cool, got you there - will do a video as soon as I can!

Ok Moomat, did a video on choosing a domain extension last night - sending you the link!

Ok Moomat, did a video on choosing a domain extension last night - sending you the link!

Got it thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

I thanked it too :) Many thanks,

Kersh wrote: »
    I thanked it too :) Many thanks,

Thanks Kersh! Just PM'd you.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bravo

Thanked a few posts back Digital_Guy, thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭odeamarcas

Watched the Keyword Planning video there, I like how you get straight to "the meat". I'm doing a short Udemy course on it at the moment, and it took listening to about 1 hour of self promoting horse poo before the trainer got down to nitty gritty. I like your no fluff delivery. Thanks.

bravo wrote: »
    Thanked a few posts back Digital_Guy, thanks for any help.

Thanks Bravo, PM sent! For anyone else who wants to get the link to the videos, the website and the FB group, also just post on this thread and I'll get a notification then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Thanks Bravo, PM sent! For anyone else who wants to get the link to the videos, the website and the FB group, also just post on this thread and I'll get a notification then.

I'm subbed to you on YT but I would like to going the group and see your site also.

odeamarcas wrote: »
    Watched the Keyword Planning video there, I like how you get straight to "the meat". I'm doing a short Udemy course on it at the moment, and it took listening to about 1 hour of self promoting horse poo before the trainer got down to nitty gritty. I like your no fluff delivery. Thanks.

Ah thanks! Yes, I always get straight into it, I know people just want the info and to start learning when they go to watch a video. I know exactly what you mean, most of these guys spend the first half talking about the results they got, the travels they are on and whatnot until they actually get to the info you are looking for!

Hi @Bruce Wayne, can't send you a PM as seems they are switched off. Feel free to PM me and I will send you the links :)

Thanks

I'm subbed to you on YT but I would like to going the group and see your site also.

Thanks Hollister! Sent you the Facebook group link there, and the website link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

Thanked & PM'd, would appreciate the link too. Thanks.

Advertisement