Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't BOI make the costs of 1890 numbers clear to customers?

Options
  • 29-05-2017 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I was texted recently by BOI credit card security about some unusual activity on my credit card. I had to ring up to get the issue sorted. I googled the number for BOI Credit Card services and the 1890 number came up. There was nothing to indicate that this was a so called lo-call flat rate service or the cost of the number. I stupidly assumed it was a freefone number. I was kept on the phone for over 20 minutes to sort out the issue on my card. The chap I dealt with was very nice but at no stage was I informed that I was paying for the call. I've just received my bill and the call has cost my nearly €7.00. The activity on my card was fraudulent - not carried out by me and I was subsequently reimbursed for the amounts on my card. I feel I shouldn't be penalised by having to pay for a call that BOI requested me to make. For this kind of call - there should be free phone number.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

It's a standard. 1800 is free. 1890 is special rate

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

1890 numbers are somewhat antiquidated now. It was broght in at a time when someone in Dublin could ring a help centre in Limerick at the local call rate. Anyone with a mobile can ring any irish local number for the same price, usually included in their free minutes.

Anyone who still has a landline likewise will get Irish or local calls for free.

Phone companies get away with charging for 1890 numbers because no one checks out whether they included before taking out a plan.

To be honest I always try to ring the local number rather than the locall numbers. Some companies make it difficult to find the local numbers though, usually slipping it in as the number to call from abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

duckegg135 wrote: »
    I was texted recently by BOI credit card security about some unusual activity on my credit card. I had to ring up to get the issue sorted. I googled the number for BOI Credit Card services and the 1890 number came up. There was nothing to indicate that this was a so called lo-call flat rate service or the cost of the number. I stupidly assumed it was a freefone number. I was kept on the phone for over 20 minutes to sort out the issue on my card. The chap I dealt with was very nice but at no stage was I informed that I was paying for the call. I've just received my bill and the call has cost my nearly €7.00. The activity on my card was fraudulent - not carried out by me and I was subsequently reimbursed for the amounts on my card. I feel I shouldn't be penalised by having to pay for a call that BOI requested me to make. For this kind of call - there should be free phone number.
    Hi duckegg135,

Thanks for contacting us. Sorry to here that your are unhappy with the call charges. When you receive the text message this number would be provided 01 4885466 to contact the security team. If you do wish to have the charges reviewed or make an official complaint please see here.

Thanks again for the message,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 duckegg135

duckegg135 wrote: »
    Hi duckegg135,

Thanks for contacting us. Sorry to here that your are unhappy with the call charges. When you receive the text message this number would be provided 01 4885466 to contact the security team. If you do wish to have the charges reviewed or make an official complaint please see here.

Thanks again for the message,
    Darren.
    Hi Darren,
    That's not correct. The text did not instruct me to call 01 4885466. The text asked me to ring the number on the back of my credit card. I didn't have my card on me so I simply googled Bank of Ireland Credit Card Services and the 1890 number came up. There was no information on the BOI page to say what the rate per minute of this call would be - and the agent I spoke with on the phone did not mention that I was being charged nearly 30c per minute - AND - he kept me on the phone for over 20 minutes.  BOI requested me to ring them - and I was penalised for this by nearly €7.00. 
    I will be making an official complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Same thing happened to me... cost me 6e.... i was pretty annoyed to be honest. The 1890 number IS on the back of the card.

• Advertisement
Advertisement