Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbour wants tree removed

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

So they have form OP. He is probably still holding a grudge over the gas issue then (although that was a million times his own fault). But you are in the right here, so just ignore him and his silly threats. He obviously doesn't want to engage with you directly and that's just perfect. Throw out the letter and forget about it. And if he comes near you start shouting about him harassing a single mother living alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

chic chick wrote: »
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.

There is no overhang -their issue is the fluff or shedding blowing into their garden. It's very light kind of like fluff. Sorry if that's a basic description.

They are now saying their son is allergic to it and if the issue is not resolved they will be forced to look at other angles.

That made me worried

The other neighbours who received the letters are renting I spoke to them this evening to see if we could all find a solution. They are passing the letters onto their landlords.
    They are really clutching at straws with that nonsense never mind no to have the decency to call to you about instead of sending you a letter, i'd have ignored the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

I have the very same tree in my front garden. They grow like weeds alright, and I have to keep trimming it back every year to stop it blocking my driveway. I occasionally jump into my neighbour's garden to trim it from their side too as it definitely encroaches onto their property (although they're brilliant and have never mentioned it - even though it must block sunlight into one of their front rooms.). I also have the same issues with the seeds / leaf covers blowing all over my garden and into the lawn. They are a pest and take a bloody long time to take up / rot away, but in no way should you consider taking the tree down - especially given the history between the two of you.

Did your neighbour receive a letter as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Wait - he nearly killed you by routing what sounds like a gas flue into your property not once but twice? Has this been addressed, as it's far more serious than a tree which btw I'd still refuse to address.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭chic chick

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Wait - he nearly killed you by routing what sounds like a gas flue into your property not once but twice? Has this been addressed, as it's far more serious than a tree which btw I'd still refuse to address.

Yes it has been sorted. They moved it. They could not be supplied gas until it was moved and checked and signed off on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I know why they sent the letter rather than talking. I didn't mention this earlier as I wanted to be fair and not influence responses.

Many years ago when my son was a baby I came home from work to smell gas. Long story short the extension he did himself had the boiler extraction coming out from his house and straight into mine ( both at a 90 degree angle) the guy from the gas company brought him into mine and showed him, he had to sign something to say he understood how dangerous it was and their heating was shut down until he moved it and stopped the gas coming into mine. I had no prob with this -felt it was an accident and a misunderstanding and he would put it right

However some days later. He hacked into where they had shut his gas down to put on the heating. As they were cold!! So we wake up a second morning knowing there is gas in our house, feeling sick and having to go outside. They had no excuse for this second time.

Yet they were furious with me as they couldn't turn on their heating. The gas man was ripping, by chance it was the same guy and said I should have been calling the guards and not him. Since then the neighbour barely acknowledges me

So I really am nervous about this letter I received about the tree.

I know it shouldn't matter but I'm a single mum with an 8 and a half year old so really don't want to feel uncomfortable in my own home

Sounds like a complete asshole. If he doesn't acknowledge you then you shouldn't feel in any way bad not acknowledging his letter.

I have a neighbour with a tree that I would love gone myself to be honest.
    It's just gotten far too big for a back garden in a housing estate.

I love my back garden and it was a factor when buying the house as it gets the sun from midday to sunset but the height that tree would grow wasn't factored in :(

It's just tough sh*t though. If you don't want it removed, you don't have to remove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Thank you every one I really appreciate all the replies. I was gutted to get the letter and was worried when I read about the allergies and " being forced to look at other angles" I'm soft as butter.
    This has given me plenty to think about.

It's a clause designed to try and worry you. Just ignore it - it really isn't anything to worry about. There have been some great suggestions in regards to no objections to you placing netting etc. And some very silly suggestions in regards to escalating the situation.

My advice is ignore it completely and wait and see. In the mean time don't be worrying about it.

If it persists write back telling him that you want no direct contact given the numerous issues you've had with him and any further communication will be considered harassment. If he wants to complain about a particular issue he should do so through the relevant authority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well that does make quite a difference.

There is no doubt that this man is a bully, and you should absolutely refuse to even engage with him on this matter, otherwise he'll try and browbeat you into complying.

If he calls around or sends another letter, then go to the Gardai and make a complaint for harrassment. Don't threaten to do it, just do it.

I would even be inclined to install CCTV at the back of the house where the tree is. He sounds like the kind of guy who would have no qualms about jumping the wall and trying to damage or poison the tree to force you to have to cut it down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

So they have form OP. He is probably still holding a grudge over the gas issue then (although that was a million times his own fault). But you are in the right here, so just ignore him and his silly threats. He obviously doesn't want to engage with you directly and that's just perfect. Throw out the letter and forget about it. And if he comes near you start shouting about him harassing a single mother living alone.

I'd rather keep the letter to be honest. Just put it away somewhere OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭Tow

My understanding is that it is a mature preexisting tree in a newly built (9 years) estate/house.
    If so, you should look through all the planning permission documentation. It may be available on line.
    You may find various planning conditions covering/protecting the trees. It may be possible to use them as a reason why the tree 'can't' be cut down.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

chic chick wrote:
    They are now saying their son is allergic to it and if the issue is not resolved they will be forced to look at other angles.

Just for that alone I would leave it and ignore them, the cheek of them.

The only other angle they could take is to move away.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bushmanpm

So, through his own selfishness, he has nearly gassed you and your child not once but twice? And now he thinks he can bully you over your tree in your property?
    Let him look at his other angles all he wants, personally I would
    1, tell him to jog the fcuk on
    2, buy a very loud HiFi
    3, develop a taste for thrash metal
    (Maybe only do 1 of those 3!;-) )

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭chic chick

Anatom wrote: »
    I have the very same tree in my front garden. They grow like weeds alright, and I have to keep trimming it back every year to stop it blocking my driveway. I occasionally jump into my neighbour's garden to trim it from their side too as it definitely encroaches onto their property (although they're brilliant and have never mentioned it - even though it must block sunlight into one of their front rooms.). I also have the same issues with the seeds / leaf covers blowing all over my garden and into the lawn. They are a pest and take a bloody long time to take up / rot away, but in no way should you consider taking the tree down - especially given the history between the two of you.

Did your neighbour receive a letter as well?

They are a pest I agree. But mainly just this time of the year.I do trim and cut back which is why there is no overhang into their garden.

I'm going to neaten it up in a couple of weeks again and leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Lovely native willow there, leave it grow away happily, and good on you for keeping it. Supporting our bees, our air quality, our bird life. Go you!

I swear, some people would like the world to be wall to wall concrete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

First pic is the leaves.
    Second is what the tree sheds rather ugly but only in our garden and only once a year

That's a willow, probably a grey willow. Extremely common tree, you can propagate them just from sticking a branch in the ground. They have male and female flowers, the males are the yellow catkins and the female flowers have like a downy fluff on them. They coppice very well, meaning if you trim them they grow back stronger and bushier.

Take no heed of the neighbour, especially the claims about allergies. Trees can affect allergies but no more so than flowers etc so cutting it down won't make any difference - ash, oak, beech, birch etc all can affect allergy sufferers. Whats the neighbour gonna do, demand all trees in the area are cut down? Its just nonsense. Don't engage with him at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

seamus wrote: »

There is no doubt that this man is a bully, and you should absolutely refuse to even engage with him on this matter, otherwise he'll try and browbeat you into complying.

If he calls around or sends another letter, then go to the Gardai and make a complaint for harrassment. Don't threaten to do it, just do it.

I would even be inclined to install
    CCTV at the back of the house where the tree is. He sounds like the kind of guy who would have no qualms about jumping the wall and trying to damage or poison the tree to force you to have to cut it down.

In case you don't know OP, CCTV these days can be achieved by using an old phone/tablet as your CCTV device and viewing it through your current phone. The apps I use are "IP Webcam" which is installed on your old phone/tablet and then another app called "Ivideon" which is installed on your current phone device and that's the app you use to view the footage. Both apps are free in the play store also. If you have an old device just sitting in a drawer then no harm putting it to use monitoring the tree. Given what the neighbour did with the gas I wouldn't put anything past him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

seamus wrote: »

I would even be inclined to install CCTV at the back of the house where the tree is. He sounds like the kind of guy who would have no qualms about jumping the wall and trying to damage or poison the tree to force you to have to cut it down.

My thoughts exactly.

The less you engage with this guy, OP, the better. Nothing to be gained but stress and harassment.

Any man who willingly pumps gas into a neighbours house is a selfish **** with no reason, to say the least.

Advertisement