Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cartridges for ducks

Options
  • 29-05-2017 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Does anyone know what is the best cartridge for ducks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

What Cartridge? - depends what shoots well for you in your gun, but try something in 12 gauge 32-36 gr with No 5 - 4 shot size.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

Mallard take a bit of stopping so number 4 shot in 36g is what I go for. Don't go any lighter than 34g no 5 and at that keep the range short. It bothers me when shooters use inadequate shells for their quarry. I learned the wrong way, we used to use trap shells for pigeon but we left a lot of birds grained and wounded now I always go for a 30g or 32g in no6. Brand wise for duck Alphamax are decent but JK6 are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Gleefulprinter

Ryanbrady wrote: »
    Does anyone know what is the best cartridge for ducks?

Don't give a gun to a duck. If your local FO hears therell be war.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

32g 6s... little bit of trivia for you UK 5..is same as US and EU 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

Too light a shot will result in wounded birds unless very close which then makes them useless.

Heavier shot will give the penetration to do the job and if your gun is pointing in the right direction it also helps.

Having a lighter shot with more pellets will not bring down your bird if your aim is slightly off.

It will not give you more chance of bringing down the bird but more chance of wounded birds getting away.

A heavier/bigger shot will have more energy delivered to it's target so more penetration through the tough feathers.

A number 4 US shot will only have 35 less shot than a US number 5 shot but have more clout. (As an example of how few shot there are in the larger shot cartridges). https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/42/9a/f5/429af5997f55cb780602648aedf61852.jpg

The chokes could be adjusted for the range you are shooting to avoid meat damage at close ranges.

A duck is a medium sized bird so I would use a UK number 4 shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

A lot of different things come into play, how far out are you shooting, where are you shooting and what species are you shooting.
    Small shot and get them in close will result in a dead duck Small shot at high ducks will be misses or worse pricked birds. Large shot will may kill birds further out but the pattern may allow teal to fly through unharmed at closer ranges.

Flight pond shooting is a different kettle of fish to foreshore shooting.
    A teal will take less stopping than a mallard drake with the afterburners on full.

The old people always said a 6 in the first barrel and a 4 in the second maybe they were on to something.

For me out rough shooting when you don't know what will appear next(snipe, teal, woodcock or pheasant) I find a 32 6 works well, if I am on the foreshore I shoot a 34/36 5.
    Everyone is different what works for me may not work for you. Pattern your gun and see what works best.
    All that before you mention cartridge brands,powers, shot or choke!!!!!!!

Advertisement