Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Properties advertised with wrong size

Options
  • 29-05-2017 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

I am not sure is allowed to post properties from daft or myhome here.

But I've come across multiple apartment adds now where they were advertised with the wring size, mostly bigger then it actually is.
    Apts in the same building with same floor plans (provided there with sizes) but 10m2 difference in description.
    The price then follows the size of the apt, being higher.

I just think it's very deceiving as not everyone will notice that and will actually think the price represents quoted size of the apt.
    I know people should do their due diligence, and all of this will actually come up after surveying is done, but if the actual size was noted in the add prob less people would go for it, or at least it wouldn't reach those prices in the end.

As I know this I can challenge the price, but what does it matter if one after me wont notice and outbids me.

Is there a way of getting "them"(EA's) to change this if people come across these discrepancies?

Did you come across any of that while looking at adds?

to be fair I don't even thing they are doing it on purpose, they are just sloppy...and couldn't care less.

(simple plan apt, I could calculate the size in 2 min by heart)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Some people aren't great at maths and will include all sorts including the balcony and car parking space. This is why you go and view. Also note photos are taken with a fisheye lense thing making it look bigger. This is why you view.

Regardless of all the sizes being correct, does the toilet flush, does the place constantly smell of whacky backy, does it look like a brothel is being run ouit of next door etc. etc. this is yet another load of reasons why one would view. If you want to admonish the EA at that point have at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

I am not sure is allowed to post properties from daft or myhome here.

But I've come across multiple apartment adds now where they were advertised with the wring size, mostly bigger then it actually is.
    Apts in the same building with same floor plans (provided there with sizes) but 10m2 difference in description.
    The price then follows the size of the apt, being higher.

I just think it's very deceiving as not everyone will notice that and will actually think the price represents quoted size of the apt.
    I know people should do their due diligence, and all of this will actually come up after surveying is done, but if the actual size was noted in the add prob less people would go for it, or at least it wouldn't reach those prices in the end.

As I know this I can challenge the price, but what does it matter if one after me wont notice and outbids me.

Is there a way of getting "them"(EA's) to change this if people come across these discrepancies?

Did you come across any of that while looking at adds?

to be fair I don't even thing they are doing it on purpose, they are just sloppy...and couldn't care less.

(simple plan apt, I could calculate the size in 2 min by heart)

You can complain to the PSRA and the advertising standards authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 philderbeast

I saw this multiple times when viewing recently. Quick check on the BER register gives the correct size:

https://ndber.seai.ie/pass/ber/search.aspx

I sent the EA a message through daft/myhome everytime I saw it out of principal and you usually see it corrected within a day or 2.

Advertisement