Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading to 1080/1080 TI and general upgrade

Options
  • 29-05-2017 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

So I've decided to take the plunge and upgrade my GPU and generally upgrade everything else while I'm at it, bar the CPU.

I want to get some new case fans because my motherboard has 4 pin connectors, also upgrade my PSU, its 530watt bronze, and maybe get a CPU liquid cooler.

Any suggestions? I was looking at the MSI 1080 on Amazon.de and its going for between 500/550.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If you can, hold off. Vega looks like it will be targeting the 1080 segment and we might see further price reductions or other features. Not to mention Volta (2080 range) is not massively far off.

What monitor are you using, what's your current PSU - if anything modern GPUs take less power not more.

What's the current CPU?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DukeOfDublin

Hey sorry bout the late reply but my phone is being screwy whenever I try to submit a reply XD

I don't fancy waiting another year for the next generation of NVIDIA or AMD GPUs, as far as I can recall the TI models for NVIDIA generally release half way through the current lifecycle and the 500 series from AMD was disappointing, to say the least! I bought the RX480 thinking that a 490 would be released soon enough after it and I could flog my one on for a halfway decent price.

My current monitor is an Asus Predator 1440p 144hz monitor and my PSU is a bequiet 530 watt bronze model. I assumed because I'd be throwing on a liquid cooler for the CPU and I think the 1080 would be more power hungry I should upgrade.

The CPU is an i7 6700k with a rip off blower cooler I got from Maplin.

At 144Hz it's a Ti model you need really. It's a 250W power draw so you might want to upgrade the PSU, maybe not depending on what else is in the system really. I run a 1080 and heavily OC'd 4790K on 500W (fanless) with no bother - CPU and GPU water cooled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Strong words saying "need" for a 1080TI at 144Hz 1440p. A 1080 would be just fine. Hell, I'm using a 1070 at the same resolution and refresh rate. Buy the card you can afford. It's a 35% performance jump (max) from the 1080 to the 1080TI, so it's a damn good card, but it is also 50% more costly than a 1080 (approx 750€ vs 500€).

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Strong words saying "need" for a 1080TI at 144Hz 1440p. A 1080 would be just fine. Hell, I'm using a 1070 at the same resolution and refresh rate. Buy the card you can afford. It's a 35% performance jump (max) from the 1080 to the 1080TI, so it's a damn good card, but it is also 50% more costly than a 1080 (approx 750€ vs 500€).

If you're going to invest in 144Hz you might as well use it. It's not my experience that a 1080 can push a 3440x1440p 60Hz panel in all games, and I've checked and double checked it with comparative bench marks.

Now the OP doesn't say if he's running UW or not but to get 100+FPS at 1440p on a 1070 there are definitely some image quality sacrifices being made.

• Advertisement
Advertisement