Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixing & Matching RAM

Options
  • 29-05-2017 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering about what your options are when it comes to adding more RAM.

I have 8gb (2 x 4) Crucial Ballistix Sport 2400. I know the ideal is to double that with the same again, but I spotted an 8gb 2666 stick of the same brand on Adverts.

Would it work at all? Would it limit itself to 2400?

And what about adding a different brand altogether of 2400? The Crucial 2 x 4 kit I picked up originally has become pretty rare.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's fine. The ram will run at the rate of the slowest stick, but only Kabylake supports 2400mhz ram natively. Skylake, 2133mhz, and DDR3 chipsets, 1600mhz for Haswell/Ivybridge and 1333mhz for Sandybridge. Only overclocking takes it above those speeds on those respective platforms.

Advertisement