Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocking up window.

Options
  • 29-05-2017 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

Well people quick question for someone in the know, do u require planning permission to block up a window in the front of a dwelling house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭dennyk

I imagine you would require it for sure if it changes the outside appearance, and most likely if it alters the nature of the house substantially (e.g. it's the only window in a room and blocking it up makes the room no longer conform to building codes regarding ventilation or egress for that room type).

Have you considered blackout curtains or some other less invasive solution to whatever problem you're trying to resolve, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

Just came up today as I was looking at a job and was asked about blocking up such a window. It is the only window in that room alright.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Planning required as it materially effects the streetscape, the front appearance of the dwelling and that of dwellings adjoining it. So section 41H would not apply here I believe.

Also, internally, if it's a bedroom then the means of escape is effected so a breach of the building regs. If it's a bathroom or similar then no such problem.

If you want give more info, I could possibly give more general advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

It's not a bedroom its a ultility room, but as I said it is on the front of the house.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It's not a bedroom its a ultility room, but as I said it is on the front of the house.

Then the building regulations with regards to escape can be ignored. Ventilation will have to be added if the window is removed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement