Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is this allowed?

Options
  • 29-05-2017 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭

Curious as to why a symbol created by one of the most brutal and oppressive regime's in history, is allowed to be used on this forum?

Is there some sort of irony I'm missing or does it suit the narrative here?

I somehow doubt a swastika would be allowed for instance...
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Can you give me a link to the user in question? I want to check it on different versions of the website first, in case it's some kind of glitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

dudara wrote: »
    Can you give me a link to the user in question? I want to check it on different versions of the website first, in case it's some kind of glitch

It's after every post he/she puts up. Will I PM it or post it up here?

PM it to me please. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

You're genuinely complaining about the hammer and sickle symbol?

EDIT: or have you had some kind of disagreement with the dude and you're 'telling on him'?

• Advertisement

You're genuinely complaining about the hammer and sickle symbol?

EDIT: or have you had some kind of disagreement with the dude and you're 'telling on him'?

I think communism is a disgusting ideology and it annoys me that some people champion it, thinking they're edgy or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭KyussBeeshop

People usually champion it ironically here - i.e. they get labelled a Communist so often, for being anywhere left of Thatcher, that the insignia is just taking the piss out of people who throw around the Communist! label with hyperbolic abandon - my previous username was KomradeBishop for this reason.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

What is it about communism as an ideology that disgusts you?

I'm genuinely curious. I have found myself feeling averse to certain ideological theories but I'm yet to see one that disgusts me.

People usually champion it ironically here - i.e. they get labelled a Communist so often, for being anywhere left of Thatcher, that the insignia is just taking the piss out of people who throw around the Communist! hyperbole with abandon - my previous username was KomradeBishop for this reason.

That's grand, I'll whack up a swastika so, seeing as I get called a fascist the whole time for not agreeing with certain agendas here. For the sake of irony of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

b_mac2 wrote: »
    I think communism is a disgusting ideology and it annoys me that some people champion it, thinking they're edgy or something.

Fascist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭KyussBeeshop

That's grand, I'll whack up a swastika so, seeing as I get called a fascist the whole time for not agreeing with certain agendas here. For the sake of irony of course.
    Sure work away - I've seen it before...probably even from the same poster you highlight now I think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

You mean the sacred asian religious symbol? Go for it. Buddhists use it all the time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Of the "complaints" I've read down the years this is vying for a spot in the top ten of dopey. You're either easily wound up by eff all, or gunning for the user in question and this is an excuse, or on a windup, or all of the above.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Of the "complaints" I've read down the years this is vying for a spot in the top ten of dopey. You're either easily wound up by eff all, or gunning for the user in question and this is an excuse, or on a windup, or all of the above.

Pity you didn't give one of your trademark 10000 word responses there. I promise I would of read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Orion wrote: »
    You mean the sacred asian religious symbol? Go for it. Buddhists use it all the time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika
    Pity you don't see the swastika laundry vans around Dublin any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I don't like the word, but this is perhaps the most 'triggered' thing I have ever seen on Boards.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I promise I would of read it.
    The gift that keeps on giving. Anyway, yeah, stupid "complaint" is stupid.

Fair play to the admin who channeled customer support mode and looked into it. You've more patience than I can usually muster. However that ostensibly measured approach IMH is doing the community little service. For every genuine bit of feedback there are ten nonsense ones and this approach just gives them more credence.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

osarusan wrote: »
    I don't like the word, but this is perhaps the most 'triggered' thing I have ever seen on Boards.
    Thing is O, I don't believe there's any "triggering" going on. I do believe there's an ulterior motive to it and/or "my opinion rules, bow down to me" stuff going on.

The gift that keeps on giving. Anyway, yeah, stupid "complaint" is stupid.

Fair play to the admin who channeled customer support mode and looked into it. You've more patience than I can usually muster. However that ostensibly measured approach IMH is doing the community little service. For every genuine bit of feedback there are ten nonsense ones and this approach just gives them more credence.

Big words from the little skinny man. See you around pal.

Hi Wibbs - look, the first thing that I wanted to do was make sure that this wasn't a technical glitch. Non standard characters are not rendering correctly lately at times and I wants to eliminate that. I also thought that non text characters couldn't be added to tag lines, so that doubly made me think it was a glitch.

Turns out that it's not a glitch and there really is a hammer & sickle signature in the tag line.

Now I'm not personally offended, and I couldn't care less about it. It's not a banned symbol in Ireland and I don't see any reason to remove it.

I would like to throw this question open to others though and ask their opinion. Does use of this symbol offend you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

dudara wrote:
    I would like to throw this question open to others though and ask their opinion. Does use of this symbol offend you?

Not in the absolute slightest.

No.

And if it did offend me, that would be my problem and on one elses.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sqwertypoo1934

Would the use of another symbol associated with oppressive regimes offend you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Not in the absolute slightest.

+1 not in the slightest.
    This thread did open my eyes to the fact we can have symbols in our tag lines apparently, is that allowed by the rules here?

Would the use of another symbol associated with oppressive regimes offend you?

Like what?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Communism != Stalin's Russia (which I presume is the regime the OP is referring to).

The hammer and sickle symbolises worker/peasant alliance. Communism is not just a Russian thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sqwertypoo1934

@ Donnely - Like what?
    Like communism, but with less killings attributed to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Big words from the little skinny man. See you around pal.

You ok komrade?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭emo72

Not offensive in the slightest.

Advertisement