Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is this allowed?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

dudara wrote: »
    Does use of this symbol offend you?

no, and even if it did why is that boards' problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

@ Donnely - Like what?
    Like communism, but with less killings attributed to it.

No. I'm not offended. Now i want to know what does offend me!

Emmmmm...... Country people not liking dubs for no reason. But thats just mostly banter.

No, can't think of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭emo72

Also you don't have a right not to be offended. I'm offended many times in a day, I just have to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,349 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

b_mac2 wrote: »
    Curious as to why a symbol created by one of the most brutal and oppressive regime's in history, is allowed to be used on this forum?

Is there some sort of irony I'm missing or does it suit the narrative here?

I somehow doubt a swastika would be allowed for instance...
    It's after every post he/she puts up. Will I PM it or post it up here?
    I think communism is a disgusting ideology and it annoys me that some people champion it, thinking they're edgy or something.
    That's grand, I'll whack up a swastika so, seeing as I get called a fascist the whole time for not agreeing with certain agendas here. For the sake of irony of course.
    Pity you didn't give one of your trademark 10000 word responses there. I promise I would of read it.
    Big words from the little skinny man. See you around pal.

And then close account and come back to try again. Sad. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

no, and even if it did why is that boards' problem?

Well, the way I look at it, Boards has a duty to not allow hate speech or anything extremely offensive, both legally and morally.

Now, to me, this isn't something that falls into any of the above categories. But I asked the question in order to double check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,557 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

@ Donnely - Like what?
    Like communism, but with less killings attributed to it.

The Catholic cross would offend me more, can we have that removed too please mods.

Edit: The hammer/sickle does not offend me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Pity you don't see the swastika laundry vans around Dublin any more.

I used to work across the road from the laundry. The chimney stack is still there but they've painted over the swastika.

dudara wrote: »
    Does use of this symbol offend you?

No. It's a political symbol - why would it. May as well get offended at Fine Gael's logo or Labour's rose.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sqwertypoo1934

My my, has boards turned a corner? Desperate to throw off its reputation of having the mostly easily offended mods in the world?

Will this signal a whole new philosophy on "the right to be offended"/"boohoo for you"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My my, has boards turned a corner? Desperate to throw off its reputation of having the mostly easily offended mods in the world?
    Joke is Boards used to be more easy going about such things. The anti craic stuff in certain forums is a newer thing. Not just about mods either Sq. Often it was/is in response to reported posts and the like. Which appears fine and often is, but equally often the reporters tend to be a small enough group within the community and not always reflective of the wider community feelings on such matters. On many subjects/posts that may get reported the majority don't get nearly so upset. This hammer and sickle symbol would be a pretty good example. The vast majority wouldn't notice and if they did, wouldn't care. A swastika would get more notice and more objections, but again I'd bet the majority wouldn't particularly care.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    Damn near everything does and IMH there comes a cutoff point where we collectively unbunch our knickers over such things. On Boards the Catholic Church and its adherents come in for regular stick. Islam ditto, though that's more curtailed from on high. So where do we draw the line? Neuter ever subject just in case someone has a hissy? Because there are few enough subjects worthy of discussion where someone won't.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Wibbs wrote: »
    Joke is Boards used to be more easy going about such things. The anti craic stuff in certain forums is a newer thing. Not just about mods either Sq. Often it was/is in response to reported posts and the like. Which appears fine and often is, but equally often the reporters tend to be a small enough group within the community and not always reflective of the wider community feelings on such matters. On many subjects/posts that may get reported the majority don't get nearly so upset. This hammer and sickle symbol would be a pretty good example. The vast majority wouldn't notice and if they did, wouldn't care. A swastika would get more notice and more objections, but again I'd bet the majority wouldn't particularly care.

The Swastika is a bit less palatable than the hammer and sickle.

Don't forget FG supported the Blueshirts heading off to fight for fascism. Nobody has a lily white past.

As it is the hammer and sickle - just like the swastika - is still in use around the world despite it's region specific history. It's on the Chinese communist party flag - the ruling party which we as a country do business with. Andy Warhol painted a few pictures with it in it. And it's only about 10ish years ago that Aeroflot did away with it on their planes. So yes - it's a political symbol just like any other. There's even a communist party in Ireland who use it - http://www.communistpartyofireland.ie/

To even suggest banning a symbol is ludicrous. It's not the symbol that's offensive. Just like nearly any word - it's the context. I haven't look at the user in question but if he's using it deliberately to piss people off that's one thing. If he's just indicating support of communist principles that's another thing altogether. The former is actionable - the latter is fine.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    The Swastika is a bit less palatable than the hammer and sickle.

Not if you're Hindu or Buddhist. It's a holy symbol for them and it's about 5000 years old. It's still in widespread use in Asia - should we tell them to stop using it because some snowflake on boards.ie might get offended?

I know you're not - but the op was. Bit I still contend that it's a political symbol just like any other.

Can we quote this thread if somebody turns up with a Confederate flag, Japanese Royal Navy flag, swastika etc as part of their account decoration?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think we should allow communist, nazist and also ISIS symbols.
    Let people make their own minds up instead of banning everything.

#downwithsnowflakepampering

I'm beginning to think ye have all been fraped, this doesn't sound like boards establishment talk at all.

It's a trap!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Нет товарищ. Это меня не обижает.
    (No, Comrade. It doesn't offend me.)

I find some symbols odious due to their appropriation by hate groups. The hammer & sickle isn't one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Was a chap on here before wanted using the abbreviation 'Jap' outlawed. As in you shouldn't be allowed to say 'I have a Jap car. The things people find offensive these days is mind boggling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

Of the "complaints" I've read down the years this is vying for a spot in the top ten of dopey. You're either easily wound up by eff all, or gunning for the user in question and this is an excuse, or on a windup, or all of the above.
    The gift that keeps on giving. Anyway, yeah, stupid "complaint" is stupid.

Fair play to the admin who channeled customer support mode and looked into it. You've more patience than I can usually muster. However that ostensibly measured approach IMH is doing the community little service. For every genuine bit of feedback there are ten nonsense ones and this approach just gives them more credence.
    Thing is O, I don't believe there's any "triggering" going on. I do believe there's an ulterior motive to it and/or "my opinion rules, bow down to me" stuff going on.

Is there any real need to post in that manner in feedback ? All too often posters with a minor grievance end up taking it too far because of the likes of this crap with people rounding on them an overly rude and aggressive way.

Feedback as a forum is absolutely useless because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Im pretty sure Boards wouldnt accept a Swartzika as an avatar or signature if many people reported the user

Is there any real need to post in that manner in feedback ? All too often posters with a minor grievance end up taking it too far because of the likes of this crap with people rounding on them an overly rude and aggressive way.

Feedback as a forum is absolutely useless because of it.

I reported it but...

As an aside... what have they done to this site since I was here last? "go advanced" in responsive site gives you pretty much no "advanced" features at all. The option to add a stupid post icon but no formatting options? WTF like? How do I make this default to "legacy" aka "**** just works"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ban all flegs!

Not your ornery onager

Quiet, you'll wake OSI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Can I be offended by the flagrant use of the cross symbol when used in +1 and also in the maths forum... Obviously because of its links with Christianity and the millions who were murdered in the crusades.....

What a load of aul balls

Advertisement