Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is this allowed?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭mikeecho

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika[/url]

The swastika (as a character 卐 or 卍) is an ancient religious symbol used in the Indian subcontinent, East Asia and Southeast Asia. It is also a historic symbol found in almost every culture with different significance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Esel wrote: »
    Ban all flegs!

But what will the people who dont want abortions get??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

This just comes across like the OP had a vendetta against the user in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Wibbs wrote: »
    A swastika would get more notice and more objections, but again I'd bet the majority wouldn't particularly care.

Disagree there, most people in these parts would care if it was the swastika. Whatever the symbol's origins, it is now inextricably linked to Nazism in Europe. That it is widely used in Asia doesn't change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

dudara wrote: »
    Well, the way I look at it, Boards has a duty to not allow hate speech or anything extremely offensive, both legally and morally.

Now, to me, this isn't something that falls into any of the above categories. But I asked the question in order to double check.

hate speech, fine. that's legislated for and definable. 'offensive' is totally subjective and again you don't have any right to be offended (or not have to be offended) by anything. That's entirely on you. just because 1 in 10,000 people find offence in something, do we really have to waste everyones time listening to and dealing with that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

hate speech, fine. that's legislated for and definable. 'offensive' is totally subjective and again you don't have any right to be offended (or not have to be offended) by anything. That's entirely on you. just because 1 in 10,000 people find offence in something, do we really have to waste everyones time listening to and dealing with that?

If you don't want to discuss then don't. It's 1 in 10000 posters and youre annoyed you to have give an opinion on it which nobody has asked you to do ?

You guys realise you don't have to stick the beak into every single thread on the site right ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Meh.

Never any harm having a chat about stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Allow the people to wave about such symbols. Most right thinking people will be glad of the alert it gives as to the poster in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,918 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Catholic cross would offend me more, can we have that removed too please mods.

Ironically that's exactly the symbol which appears above every thread in the Atheism & Agnosticism forum on the "responsive"* site. Exact same thing for World Religions forum too.
    Imagine if every thread in Politics had an FF logo at the top of the page?

* Kill it. Kill it with fire. Then nuke it from orbit just to be sure.

Then nuke it again a few more times.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

What differentiates a Catholic cross from an Anglican one? Or a Baptist one?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

c_man wrote: »
    What differentiates a Catholic cross from an Anglican one? Or a Baptist one?

Guilt level of the observer.

If you don't want to discuss then don't. It's 1 in 10000 posters and youre annoyed you to have give an opinion on it which nobody has asked you to do ?

No, I would be annoyed if suddenly we have to ban the sickle and cross because one delicate little flower is offended. Despite the fact that 99.9% of boards users won't give a toss about it showing up.

And so to ensure it doesn't happen suddenly everyone has to chime in on a discussion we don't even need to have in the first place

No, I would be annoyed if suddenly we have to ban the sickle and cross because one delicate little flower is offended. Despite the fact that 99.9% of boards users won't give a toss about it showing up.

And so to ensure it doesn't happen suddenly everyone has to chime in on a discussion we don't even need to have in the first place

What's the magic percentage at which a symbol being offensive, becomes a topic worthy of considering?

And who's holding the gun to your head forcing you "to chime in"? I feel like that's the issue that really needs addressing.

What's the magic percentage at which a symbol being offensive, becomes a topic worthy of considering?
    it never does, you are promoting censorship, nothing more.
    And who's holding the gun to your head forcing you "to chime in"? I feel like that's the issue that really needs addressing.

No one is forcing me to chime in, but unless people push back against this ridiculousness it keeps growing and growing and soon enough all sorts of symbols or words or whatever will get banned for totally spurious reasons. Nobody benefits from censorship apart from those with an agenda to promote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

What's the magic percentage at which a symbol being offensive, becomes a topic worthy of considering?.

1 person is the magic number for a right to a discussion. But just because that one person is offended doesn't mean that one person is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Admin note
    From the charter here
    Abuse toward a poster will not be tolerated. This is a forum for opinions and while you may not agree with an opinion you do not have the right to abuse the poster. You may, however, offer reasons why you think the opinion is incorrect.

Similarly making comments against a poster for posting here will not be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

it never does, you are promoting censorship, nothing more.

No one is forcing me to chime in, but unless people push back against this ridiculousness it keeps growing and growing and soon enough all sorts of symbols or words or whatever will get banned for totally spurious reasons. Nobody benefits from censorship apart from those with an agenda to promote

There are many curse words already censored. Is that because children might be on the site or because people may be offended by these words? Genuine question, not being smart (tried to write the question without sounding like it was a loaded question but couldn't! Too early)

neonsofa wrote: »
    There are many curse words already censored. Is that because children might be on the site or because people may be offended by these words? Genuine question, not being smart (tried to write the question without sounding like it was a loaded question but couldn't! Too early)

I don't know, it's come up a few times and I've never felt there has been a satisfactory answer. It's fucking easy to get around anyway :)

I don't know, it's come up a few times and I've never felt there has been a satisfactory answer. It's fucking easy to get around anyway :)

Yeah, it'd be interesting to get a definitive answer because if it is about causing offence then where do you draw the line and why is one more valid than another. Like people said on this thread, the offence is their own so you would imagine then that the same should apply to curse words. Same rules should apply to all basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,480 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I like to think that the ban on curse words is simply so that we do not get conversations entirely composed of verbs, adjectives and nouns based on the same few words. The odd curse/swear word can make a point. When it is used as a verbal tic or a way of shouting abuse then it becomes very tedious and counter productive.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    I like to think that the ban on curse words is simply so that we do not get conversations entirely composed of verbs, adjectives and nouns based on the same few words. The odd curse/swear word can make a point. When it is used as a verbal tic or a way of shouting abuse then it becomes very tedious and counter productive.

You could say that about many other words though. The only reason those specific ones are actually censored is they are offensive/rude, no? I get what you're saying, I do, but they are specifically censored for a reason and I don't think it's because it's tedious to read, sure reading asterisks is the same.

If that is the case though then I'd like to request "strawman" be added to the list of tedious words! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

neonsofa wrote: »
    If that is the case though then I'd like to request "strawman" be added to the list of tedious words! :pac:

Not at all.

It's the right word to describe one of the most prevalent of the many varieties of bullsh!t arguments that are made on boards.

osarusan wrote: »
    Not at all.

It's the right word to describe one of the most prevalent of the many varieties of bullsh!t arguments that are made on boards.

And you just illustrated why bull**** shouldn't be censored. Sometimes for some it's perfectly fitting and other times/for others its tedious to read. But one is censored and the other isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭KyussBeeshop

looksee wrote: »
    No the ban on curse words is so that everyone on the forum becomes an easy 'target' if the admins decide someone is a troublemaker - one of the admins started gunning for me once, over 'bypassing the swear filter', and I got a strong impression this was as a result of previous run-ins I've had with mods before - when you 'build a record', for whatever reason (even if it's as a result of past mod fúckups), it's possible for you to get targeted for more trivial things, that are ignored for practically all other posters.

It's like the way we have so many laws, that everyone is guilty of something (even if that's as silly as illegally downloading something) - the swear filter is a bit like that on Boards, too.

Advertisement