Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Coast Holiday

Options
  • 29-05-2017 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Hi there, first time planning a big-ish trip and looking for advice.

We are a young couple looking to travel to US East Coast (NY, Washington & Boston) for about 2.5-3 weeks in late September early October. No idea where to even start planning or getting a cost together but if anyone can offer any advice would be helpful. Anything from travel methods to/from the States, between cities, accommodation options and prices in the cities and things to do/prices and spending money would be much appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Washington!
    Loads to do and all free!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

Sorry I should say we are planning on doing all 3 cities. Planning 5-7 days in each but that's quite flexible at the minute also :)

Look up the bolt bus. We went from New York to Washington for 11 dollars I think? V comfortable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭VW 1

I've experience of Boston and NYC.

NYC is busy, hectic and expensive. I loved seeing it and it was great, but now that I've seen it and done the standard touristy stuff I wouldn't be in a mad rush back to it.

We stayed 5 nights, got in all the usuals, top of the rock tour, grand central, boat trip to statue of liberty and Ellis island, ice skating, central park, world trade centre memorial, jersey gardens, Tiffany's, fifth avenue, natural history museum, Madison square gardens, went to a comedy gig, stayed on times square in the edison.

So much to do and pack in, attempting to do it all was possibly a mistake and left us wrecked. If this is one part of a 3 city trip you may want to take it easier and be more selective in what you do/see.

Boston I did 6 or 7 years ago on my own, and at a far more relaxed pace but probably due to the nature of the city itself.

Took the bean town tour on the first two days (it was a 48 hour pass) which brings you around all the main sights and scenes in the city. It also includes an hour long tour of the port/harbour on a boat when you get to that point.

Got off at several points and did tours, most notably and highly recommended was the tour of Fenway park. Also saw the basketball arena, name escapes me now. Took time out to explore the downtown area and some of the local parks and markets at the weekend. Went to the Sam Adams brewery and did a tour there. Visited the Harvard campus and went to the museum of fine arts to see the world famous collection of the work of the impressionists. Also went on some sort of civil war tour which brought you around to the main sights of the tea party. There was also a day spent shopping at an outlet 40 mins bus journey from the city, the name escapes me now.

No experience at all of DC.

Any questions further on either city, feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

DC is a lovely city, lots of green spaces with squirrels running around and lots of attractions to see but I'd give it no more than three nights. There's only so many museums and monuments you can handle in a holiday.

Must sees: Air and Space Museum (part of the Smithsonian), Lincoln Monument, Capitol. The White House may involve a long wait in a queue, I'm not sure if tourists can just show up and get in, I didn't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

5-7 days in each city is a lot of time to be in cities for me anyway. Maybe consider breaking it up with a night or two in some of the smaller towns in New England or Cape Cod (or the equivalent places in New York and Maryland)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

coylemj wrote: »
    DC is a lovely city, lots of green spaces with squirrels running around and lots of attractions to see but I'd give it no more than three nights. There's only so many museums and monuments you can handle in a holiday.

Must sees: Air and Space Museum (part of the Smithsonian), Lincoln Monument, Capitol. The White House may involve a long wait in a queue, I'm not sure if tourists can just show up and get in, I didn't bother.

No you cant just queue to get into the WH! Email the Irish Embassy and subject to conditions you might get in on a tour.

The Newseum is well worth a visit but you will have to pay in $24.

DC is a fantastic city and you could go sightseeing every day and still not see it all. You can book tours of the Capitol and Pentagon online.

We didn't get any joy from the Irish embassy to be honest. We did email a Congress person and had more success!
    Also ail the Pentagon. The tour is excellent.
    Smithsonian
    Capitol Hill
    white house
    Pentagon
    Arlington cemetery
    Air and space museum
    Engraving and printing
    Holocaust museum
    Lincoln memorial
    Zoo

All good, with yours, all free. Restaurants might be expensive if you don't shop around, but...

With tours even!! Oops!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Daisy 55 wrote: »
    With tours even!! Oops!

When you look back at the posts, there is an 'Edit' button beside the ones you have submitted so there's no need to post an addendum if you click 'Post' too early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

A major tourist attraction in the early autumn in the northeast is when the trees change colour. It may be worth looking into if you're in Boston by mid-october. I've never done it but i know people who have and its supposed to be spectacular.

https://weather.com/maps/fall-foliage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Hazys wrote: »
    5-7 days in each city is a lot of time to be in cities for me anyway. Maybe consider breaking it up with a night or two in some of the smaller towns in New England or Cape Cod (or the equivalent places in New York and Maryland)

A week in Boston would have to include a trek out into New England. I really liked Rockport. And Gloucester.

They're old historic fishing towns, pretty touristy now but fairly unspoiled. Gloucester still has a large fishing fleet.

There's also Salem, which is nice.

https://goo.gl/maps/BgAWJ8pcjVA2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

coylemj wrote: »
    Agreed. There are options around the DC area like Harpers Ferry, vineyards, Civil War sites, rafting and so on, which are worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Daisy 55 wrote: »
    We didn't get any joy from the Irish embassy to be honest. We did email a Congress person and had more success!
    Also ail the Pentagon. The tour is excellent.
    Smithsonian
    Capitol Hill
    white house
    Pentagon
    Arlington cemetery
    Air and space museum
    Engraving and printing
    Holocaust museum
    Lincoln memorial
    Zoo

All good, with yours, all free. Restaurants might be expensive if you don't shop around, but...

Well the White House runs the tours so it is not guaranteed and Embassy staff have to be available too.

Another one that is cool is the National Building Museum which has the best gift store in the city.

Advertisement