Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage deposit and house price question

Options
  • 29-05-2017 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭

Is the deposit taken as part of the mortgage to be paid back or can it go against the cost of the house? For example if I want to buy a house for 150k and I'm approved for a mortgage of 130k and I have 20k in savings.

Is that 20k (if it covers the deposit) tied to the 130k as the deposit and I'd need an extra 20k to afford the house? Or would I get the 130k mortgage against the 150k house with the 20k making up part of the overall sum ?

Would banks work with you on that if what you can borrow is slightly less than the house price ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Is that 20k (if it covers the deposit) tied to the 130k as the deposit and I'd need an extra 20k to afford the house? Or would I get the 130k mortgage against the 150k house with the 20k making up part of the overall sum ?

You buy a house for 150k with a 20k deposit your actual loan is for 130k. Your 20 goes straight off the overall purchase price

Advertisement