Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holiday issue

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ah lads, is this why generation snowflake is upon us? I went the whole length of Germany when I was 22, on a motorbike. This is a car, in Wales of all places, it's not downtown Aleppo we are talking about here. There's no language barrier, same side of the road, similar road signs. It'll be a nice soft cushy safe adventure.

What's that Braveheart line again.... FREEEEDDDOOOOM!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

pwurple wrote: »
    Ah lads, is this why generation snowflake is upon us? I went the whole length of Germany when I was 22, on a motorbike. This is a car, in Wales of all places, it's not downtown Aleppo we are talking about here. There's no language barrier, same side of the road, similar road signs. It'll be a nice soft cushy safe adventure.

What's that Braveheart line again.... FREEEEDDDOOOOM!

And I spent a summer driving commercial vehicles supplying trade shows in Geneva from Amsterdam- driving 24 hours shifts to get time sensitive stuff to Switzerland when it was required- when I was 20 (I got a light commercial license at 18). Different times...... Happy memories. Don't think I'd be up to driving for 24 hour shifts anymore though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

This is ridiculous , I am so sick of this idea that driving in dublin or the UK is way more lethal than driving down the country, if anything its the opposite.

OP , your parents are pessimists and scared, now's not the right time, in 2 years it won't be either, another 2 after that it won't be. I would guarantee your parents still stress out about them driving in dublin.

Realistically its grand as long as you are observant, you're fully licenced for 2 years, you'll have to do this at some point. It's really not that bad. How are you funding this trip ? start factoring in paying a deposit and the first months payment on car insurance yourself, if they pull the plug thats you sorted, if they don't then woo hay more holiday money.

I had my full licence for a few months at 18, went to the UK and drove my first car back to the ferry and back to Ireland, no bother, nothing bad happened, it was grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Can't believe how harsh the majority of responses have been towards the parents and, to some extent, the OP. My parents would have been the exact same and I think I'd be the same with my own children. He is only 22. It's a bit much to expect him to pay for college, a car, insurance, rent his own place etc. My parents helped support me until I had my degree and a permanent job. Some of us are lucky to have parents who help out, don't make it into a failure on the OP's part that he has extra support.

At 22 you're not doing your child any favours by paying their bills IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

silverharp wrote: »
    an example below, they limit the type of vehicle which wouldn't matter and at £36 extra per day it aint cheap. Id be angling for the moth to borrow the parent's car when they get there :-)

https://www.sixt.co.uk/campaigns/student-offers/

What's "angling for the moth" mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

McGaggs wrote: »
    What's "angling for the moth" mean?

I think he means the girlfriend borrow her parents car.

Just hire a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

At 22 you're not doing your child any favours by paying their bills IMO

I never said they should pay his bills. I said that it's a bit much that at 22 he is expected, by some posters on the thread, to fund college, his own car, insurance as well as renting his own place.

It's simply unrealistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Not a huge amount of motorways in Wales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I never said they should pay his bills. I said that it's a bit much that at 22 he is expected, by some posters on the thread, to fund college, his own car, insurance as well as renting his own place.

It's simply unrealistic.

I think the point is true independence (and free will) only comes with financial independence.

He could have avoided the issue by getting a hire car anyway. Fly and drive probably cheaper then ferry anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement