Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

too late to compost flower beds?

Options
  • 30-05-2017 9:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

I was living away for almost a year until a few weeks ago so garden is severely neglected. Is it too late to put down some compost and sow some stock seeds etc so have a bit of colour in a few months?
    Also have alot of rose bushes which were never pruned since last summer. They're currently flowering like crazy, can I feed them so I get other flushes of flower over the summer( they come and go all summer usually I think )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Never a bad time to add compost.

I wouldn't bother with seeds but you'll get plenty of bedding plants that will have a fabulous show of colour.

I'd just keep the roses deadheaded and that skulls maximise their flowering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

I was really interesting in gardenng upto a few years ago when life ( and noisy neighbours!!) got in the way-have forgotten all about deadheading etc, thanks for reminding about that. Will I put some rose feed down or wrong time? My poor roses are such battlers, they're only plants that have survived the few years of neglect .
    Will pick up a load of bedding plants and compost at weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Feed the roses surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Roses are brave fighters and they survive well with a minimum of attention.
    Cut off all spent flowers: put some compost round the base. They'd love a bit of manure, too, if you can lay your hands on any.
    Ha ha, I mean, spade, of course.
    You might pull away any weeds that are growing too near them, too - so they don't have to compete for food and water.

and I agree, its a bit late for sowing seed, (although you could try): plant in some bedding plants instead, they're cheap as chips from any hardware shop, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Day Lewin wrote:
    Roses are brave fighters and they survive well with a minimum of attention. Cut off all spent flowers: put some compost round the base. They'd love a bit of manure, too, if you can lay your hands on any. Ha ha, I mean, spade, of course. You might pull away any weeds that are growing too near them, too - so they don't have to compete for food and water.

Is it too late now to spread manure?? Have a bag left over from a few years ago. Always thought it had to be spread in autumn .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

If the manure is aged, it should be ok to spread a bit - not to drown them, but fork a bit of it around the plants, it helps to aerate the soil.

Advertisement