Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Install electric gates

Options
  • 30-05-2017 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭

I am looking at buying a complete kit and putting an actuator onto the side gate of the house.
    I see that the Private Security Authority now has their presence in the gate actuator business.
    Am I okay to self-install, same as I can with a home CCTV system? I can’t find any reference to this in the PSA documents.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,098 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

deandean wrote: »
    I am looking at buying a complete kit and putting an actuator onto the side gate of the house.
    I see that the Private Security Authority now has their presence in the gate actuator business.
    Am I okay to self-install, same as I can with a home CCTV system? I can’t find any reference to this in the PSA documents.
    Thanks.

I don't think you can. The reason the Private Security Authority is regulating it is for health & safety. I suppose gates not installed correctly could close as a person is walking through & cause harm. I've heard the ads on the radio & that's what I picked from them.
    Having said all that I see landlords replacing RCBO for showers etc without a care in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Has to be a PSA licensed contractor these days. It's all to do with safety regs.
    A good company/contractor will ensure that the installation is completely safe and up to code.

Advertisement