Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Podcasts

• 30-05-2017 10:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Division

Any good football related podcasts you can recommend?
      The Game podcast (from The Times)
      Guardian Football Weekly

Both available on Soundcloud.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The season is over. All these podcast will be off the air until August. You're better off coming back to this then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Division

I can have a look at previous podcasts and see which are worth subscribing to/following.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Second Captains is excellent, a soccer show every Monday
    Eamon Dunphy has a new one called "the Stand", usually him Johnnie and Laim farting on about football but entertaining all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Division wrote: »
    Any good football related podcasts you can recommend?
      The Game podcast (from The Times)
      Guardian Football Weekly

Both available on Soundcloud.

The Football Ramble is decent too.

BBC World Football Phone In is good too, as is The Big Interview with Graham Hunter.

I recently started listening to another one called "The Front 3". Its decent so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

ew one called "the Stand", usually him Johnnie and Laim farting on about football but entertaining all the same

Yeah I've been subscribing to this one and it has been really good. Its not always the 3 wise men... he's done very interesting 1-1 interviews with various sports personalities too, including Souness, Didi...

But weirdly, every other episode or so, he does a random political interview (not sporting related at all), which I reckon there'll be much more of over the summer as the football season is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

The Football Ramble is decent too.

I find the Football Ramble painful, the banter is horrific enough but then their laughing uproariously at each other's "jokes" compounds it. The fact that they all seem to have the same voice, character and mannerisms is hard to take to. Each to their own but I'm puzzled how anyone listens to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Football weekly is the best.

Don't like the game much because of that know it all Marcotti presenting it.

Second captains good but paid now.

To be constructive here is a list of football pods that I have listened to, in a rough order of good to bad:

Second captains
    Guardian football weekly
    Racing post football preview
    LOI weekly
    Sid lowe's Spanish Football podcast
    sunday supplement
    The Game podcast with the Times
    Graham Hunter podcast
    Talksport's European football show
    BBC's world football show
    606 radio phone in
    Athletico Mince
    Football Ramble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Second Captains is excellent, a soccer show every Monday
    Eamon Dunphy has a new one called "the Stand", usually him Johnnie and Laim farting on about football but entertaining all the same

Love the world service too. A podcast every weekday, and usually 2 on Monday. The extra content has been of pretty high quality so far too. The longer in depth interviews Richie Sadlier does with people have been predominantly good. Some of Ken's political podcasts have been brilliant, others not as good, but it's not quite his field so i'd expect it to take time to source the best guests with the most insightful take on things.

Not strictly football, but I really like the Off The Ball Sunday Paper Review - it's its own standalone podcast on itunes etc. Covers whatever bigger sports stories are in the news at the time. Sometimes great guests, like Paul Kimmage.. though they also had Mario Rosenstock at one opint which was just painful. But thankfully that seems to have been a once off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Love the world service too. A podcast every weekday, and usually 2 on Monday. The extra content has been of pretty high quality so far too. The longer in depth interviews Richie Sadlier does with people have been predominantly good. Some of Ken's political podcasts have been brilliant, others not as good, but it's not quite his field so i'd expect it to take time to source the best guests with the most insightful take on things.

Not strictly football, but I really like the Off The Ball Sunday Paper Review - it's its own standalone podcast on itunes etc. Covers whatever bigger sports stories are in the news at the time. Sometimes great guests, like Paul Kimmage.. though they also had Mario Rosenstock at one opint which was just painful. But thankfully that seems to have been a once off.
    I love Kimmage he doesn't give a **** and just shouts at everyone.

I tried the game again today. They were picking their teams of season top 6 and without top 6.
    Some awful picks in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Football Wekkly only if Barry Glendenning is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

callaway92 wrote: »
    Football Wekkly only if Barry Glendenning is on.
    Barry has some great insight alright, he's quite funny too.
    Although I would listen to it purely because of Jim Richardson, fantastic football journalist, and very quick witted and punny too!

Nailz wrote: »
    Although I would listen to it purely because of Jim Thompson, fantastic football journalist, and very quick witted and punny too!

James Richardson?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    James Richardson?
    Yup, brain fart on the common surname. Edited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

There was an article on F365 recently re: pods, they speak very highly of Second Captains:

http://www.football365.com/news/state-of-the-football-nation-on-tv-and-radio-podcasts

The big interview with Graham Hunter got off to an extremely good start but then certain interviewees i found to be dull enough (I'm sorry to say but it's Moysey).

Also Hunter spent a considerable part of interviews with Phil Neville and Le Tissier talking about their youth playing cricket. I couldn't care less about that.

I've been meaning to catch up with the recent ones to see if it got back on form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,276 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The Magic Sponge with Rob Beckett and Jimmy Bullard is funny. Notable episodes include the Clinton Morrison, Graham Stack, Ray Parlour and Adebayo Akinfenwa episodes. Its essentially just a collection of funny stories from pros and ex pros e.g. Kolo Toure two footing Wenger when on trial at Arsenal, Morrisons take on Saipan, Stack selling match tickets to drunk Scousers etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Used to listen to the Football Ramble but couldn't stick it any longer. Too much banter, too much constantly splitting their arses laughing at each others jokes. Just got annoying eventually.

Don't listen to The Game any longer either due to the insufferable Marcotti.

Pretty much just listen to Football Weekly and Second Captains now. With a small bit of Off the Ball.

• Advertisement

Dots1982 wrote: »
    I find the Football Ramble painful, the banter is horrific enough but then their laughing uproariously at each other's "jokes" compounds it. The fact that they all seem to have the same voice, character and mannerisms is hard to take to. Each to their own but I'm puzzled how anyone listens to it.

Agree with this. They were entertaining for the first 3 or 4 podcasts but I'm looking for some meaty content and those lads, sound as they seem to be, know FA about football tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Graham Hunter has Benni McCarthy on this week's sho talking about Porto's Champions League win.

It's a good podcast, but it's in two parts. Could've been a great interview if it was condensed to one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Nevaeh Wrong Somewhere

Sunday supplement is very good if your never up on a sunday morning as its just a podcast taping of their show

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Nailz wrote: »
    Although I would listen to it purely because of Jim Richardson, fantastic football journalist, and very quick witted and punny too!

I find Richardson a painfully glib host or maybe it's the dreadful Football Weekly 'summary' style of going through fixtures that grates me..or maybe their guests which are any number of Guardian online bloggers.

Its only worth listening to on international breaks for me now where they can't just go on a quick summary of the big game.

dfx- wrote: »
    I find Richardson a painfully glib host or maybe it's the dreadful Football Weekly 'summary' style of going through fixtures that grates me..or maybe their guests which are any number of Guardian online bloggers.

Its only worth listening to on international breaks for me now where they can't just go on a quick summary of the big game.

Listening to Barry Glendenning talk about the Irish team highlights that Glenndenning really is there as a jokes man and has very little to say when invited to talk about football in a non-glib or mock outraged way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Listened to football podcasts for many, many years and I've thought long and hard about this....

The unholy Trinity of crap football podcast contributers is:

Graham Hunter - Most painful football journalist on earth to listen to, fancies himself as a cross between The Dali-Lama and Deep-Throat. The King of Spoof.

Gabrielle Marcotti - Smug and Condescending with an accent that will cut through your brain and leave you screaming. Runs Hunter awfully close at times, has no sense of humour, but that doesn't stop him trying to be funny every now and again. Car crash stuff.

Barry Glendinninining - He's not as bad as the first two in terms of being an out and out irritant, but at least Hunter and Marcotti for all their - many - faults know a thing or two about the game. Glendinning clearly knows damn all, which is quite amazing considering what he does for a living - he'll routinely flaunt, even boast, that he knows nothing about anything beyond the upper reaches of the Premiership. Painfully unfunny, that is when he's not getting up on his contrarian high horse about whatever is bothering him this week. Fond of slurring his words. A right pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Hunter clearly has an ego corresponding to a lot of the people he interviews...

BUT the interviews themselves tend to be incredibly revealing and for me are must-listen material, each and ever one of them.

Maybe a lot of the material covered isn’t much more than you get in footballer autobiographies, but I prefer to read more interesting stuff than footballer autobiographies, so I love listening to some of the stories that Hunter manages to get out of his interviewees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Bateman wrote: »
    Hunter clearly has an ego corresponding to a lot of the people he interviews...

BUT the interviews themselves tend to be incredibly revealing and for me are must-listen material, each and ever one of them.

Maybe a lot of the material covered isn’t much more than you get in footballer autobiographies, but I prefer to read more interesting stuff than footballer autobiographies, so I love listening to some of the stories that Hunter manages to get out of his interviewees.

Some of the interviews are good but Hunter is painful. Takes himself and football far too seriously sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Agreed, the product saves us from him to some extent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭goodolegill

I am a Man Utd fan but sometimes it's good to listen to something away from the mainstream
    "Not the top 20" offers an excellent insight to lower league football covering the championship, league one and two.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Posted in the Second Captains thread by foxtrot101:

https://twitter.com/TheFinal_Third/status/873146560707788802

Ken Early recalling Saipan. Pretty decent pod if only for nostalgia purposes of one of the most infamous moments in Irish sport.
    Ken really gets into recalling the before, during and aftermath of Keane & McCarthy's fallout in great detail. One of the lads on the pod likens the incident to Ireland's "OJ Simpson" trial, which I thought was a good description. I can still remember where I was when I heard Keane was leaving and the media coverage which followed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Tried listening to Newstalk's LOI podcast but there something about Oisin Langan and I can't stand.

Think it's the forced banter as a substitute for considered discussion.

Dan McDonnell & Johnny Ward's show is much more to my liking.

I'm still getting second captain podcasts but I'm not paying currently so am I missing out on other content ?

Is is called second captains extra ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

James Richardson (and producer Ben) have left Football Weekly :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Rumours that the Guardian will be going behind a paywall. Their new show has a twitter account with one tweet.

https://twitter.com/TheTotallyShow/status/892006719852826624

So the rumours are probably true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Ok that's not so bad so. The guardian's sports coverage is excellent but I wouldn't particularly want to finance some of the other nonsense they publish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Iain MacKintosh is fronting the media group running the new podcast.

James Richardson is clearly the best in the business and I imagine the likes of Sid Lowe and Honingstein will continue to work with him.

They'll have the freedom to run their own show and the multitudes will surely tune in to this new podcast over Football Weekly (I know I will anyway).

This may actually be good news, interesting to see what they'll do.

Main downer for me is no more Barry Glendenning - he's a chief writer at the Guardian so will surely stay put. I don't think he's particularly knowledgable about football but I enjoy his dour, cynical tones and is usually good for a few laughs.

On another note, the latest episode of this 90s football podcast is an interview with Alexi Lalas and is a really great listen, would highly recommend. Very candid guy and fascinating to hear about what his football career was like, starting out in the late 80s in the US and getting his big break at USA 94: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/alive-and-kicking-the-90s-football-podcast/id1026053831?mt=2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Morzadec wrote: »
    Iain MacKintosh is fronting the media group running the new podcast.

James Richardson is clearly the best in the business and I imagine the likes of Sid Lowe and Honingstein will continue to work with him.

They'll have the freedom to run their own show and the multitudes will surely tune in to this new podcast over Football Weekly (I know I will anyway).

This may actually be good news, interesting to see what they'll do.

Main downer for me is no more Barry Glendenning - he's a chief writer at the Guardian so will surely stay put. I don't think he's particularly knowledgable about football but I enjoy his dour, cynical tones and is usually good for a few laughs.

On another note, the latest episode of this 90s football podcast is an interview with Alexi Lalas and is a really great listen, would highly recommend. Very candid guy and fascinating to hear about what his football career was like, starting out in the late 80s in the US and getting his big break at USA 94: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/alive-and-kicking-the-90s-football-podcast/id1026053831?mt=2

I'd actually finally grown tired of his schtick, so I don't mind too much. Mostly came from having to work with someone a few months ago who was just like him - same accent and tone and casual nature to everything. Being around that type of personality got very tiring, very quickly, especially when they wouldn't stay on top of their responsibility, with this constant dour, drole, lazy "it's grand" attitude. Literally the next time I listened to Football Weekly, Glendenning got on my nerves. Probably unfair of me, but, so it goes.

Looking forward to seeing what Jimbo can come up with, with a free reign.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I'd actually finally grown tired of his schtick, so I don't mind too much. Mostly came from having to work with someone a few months ago who was just like him - same accent and tone and casual nature to everything. Being around that type of personality got very tiring, very quickly, especially when they wouldn't stay on top of their responsibility, with this constant dour, drole, lazy "it's grand" attitude. Literally the next time I listened to Football Weekly, Glendenning got on my nerves. Probably unfair of me, but, so it goes.

Looking forward to seeing what Jimbo can come up with, with a free reign.

Haha I could definitely understand how someone would dislike Barry, I'd say he divides opinion.

Philippe Auclair is another one who a lot of people dislike but who I quite enjoy listening to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Like Auclair to be honest - he seems like a decent guy. My expanded thoughts on Barry Glendinning are further up the page - in short: he's a painful waste of space.

You'd wonder what was going on behind the scenes at Guardian HQ. Surely football weekly is a good revenue generator. I know it doesn't cost anything, but it must bring a lot of traffic and clicks to the site - it is still the most downloaded football pod in the world, isn't it? I don't think I could see myself signing up to get through a potential paywall, if that is what will actually transpire.

I'd imagine that James will bring a lot of his contributors with him - Honeningstein (spelt incorrectly I'm sure) and him always seem to end up working together. Honestly, I'd wonder if this is the beginning of the end for Football Weekly - they've built up a really strong reputation and brand over the years, but I think James is a really top class host they'll find very difficult to replace. He's recently started hosting a film review pod for Little White Lies - pretentiously titledTruth and Movies - and he's great on that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Alot of the guests on Football weekly so I'd imagine most will stay with it unless they also leave the Guardian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,925 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If Max Rushden takes over FW that will be the final nail in it's coffin for me.

But AC Jimbo's new pod will be taking first listen for my weekly football podcasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Listening to Barry Glendenning talk about the Irish team highlights that Glenndenning really is there as a jokes man and has very little to say when invited to talk about football in a non-glib or mock outraged way.

That has a place too. I don't listen to football podcasts for in-depth Mourinho dossier style analysis, I want a bit of character too. Glendenning adds that to FW

Glendenning on his own is grand but with Rushden it's bleeding ears time.

Didn't Ken Early present FW once? Also remember boards.ie soccer forum managed to cause a bit of controversy with FW

Also I'm 100% certain Ken Early posts on here. He's too in touch with Irish sports multimedia and too opinionated not to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Didn't Ken Early present FW once? Also remember boards.ie soccer forum managed to cause a bit of controversy with FW

Didn't it go really badly, by Ken's own admission?

Like he turned up late having missed his flight or something like that?

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Also I'm 100% certain Ken Early posts on here. He's too in touch with Irish sports multimedia and too opinionated not to

Maybe not posts but he has definitely taken topics off here over the years.

He was a guest on FW once I'm sure alright.

Maybe not posts but he has definitely taken topics off here over the years.

He was a guest on FW once I'm sure alright.

I think he presented in place of James Richardson

Gbear wrote: »
    Didn't it go really badly, by Ken's own admission?

Like he turned up late having missed his flight or something like that?

I remember it getting bad reviews, not sure of the circumstances though.

I remember him not sounding like himself on it alright, I put it down to nerves. He couldn't be his typical know all self when there were other football experts around.

I don't mean that in an criticising sense btw, I think he's an excellent commentator

• Advertisement
Advertisement